0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 12:17 PM by David Trimboli

Document history changes to broken paths

David Trimboli

Adobe Reader is changing the file paths to some entries in the recent document history list. Explaining the situation requires some set-up...

My organization uses domain computers with home directories and group directories. My home directory is automatically mapped to letter H:, and is \\server\itu$\trimboli. My group directory is mapped manually to G: at \\server\it.

My computer has Windows 7 Professional and Adobe Reader 9.4.1.

When I open any PDF from my home directory, whether navigated to as H: or \\server\itu$\trimboli, Adobe Reader opens it just fine. It is listed correctly in the document history too, as long as Adobe Reader remains open. But when I close Reader and open it again, the path to the document in the recent list will have changed. For instance, if I open H:\test.pdf, the recent list will change to show G:\test.pdf.

Even stranger, if I open the file as \\server\itu$\trimboli\test.pdf, it'll end up as G:\u$\trimboli\test.pdf!

I have been able to reproduce this behavior on another computer as well, set up the same way as mine. The problem does not show up until both the G: and H: drives are mapped as above. Note that it's not just the display of the recent file that's bad: if you click on it, Adobe Reader says it can't find the file. It's trying to open the bad path.

A look at the registry keys for the recent history list shows what seems to be correct entries. For instance, with the file above, the registry shows /server/itu$/trimboli/test.pdf. The problem seems to be in the way Adobe Reader reads and presents the registry key. Is this a bug in the program? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

(We're not moving to Reader X until the deployment tools come out...)

Update: It happens in Reader X, too.