11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 5:59 AM by Draal Lala

Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?

pwrshift Level 1

About a year ago I upgraded to CS4 from CS2 on my system (XP Prof) and have had great problems with an outdated computer system, Matrox and all.  As Harm said it's time to get a new computer.  Below is the lineup that my computer source will build for me and I'd appreciate some imput as to if it's OK and where I could make some improvements.  Much appreciated.  Here's the list of equipment my supplier gave me for about $3000:

Motherboard: Asus P6TD Deluxe core i7 Intel x 58

CPU: Intel CPU Core i7-950  2.06GHz  4.8QPI 8 MB

Hard Drive: WD 500GB  SATA 7200RPM

RAM: 0 MB   8GB  DDR  3

Case: Supermicro 500W  Hiqh Quality Case Black

FFD  HD Controller:  Built in FD controller 2 IDE on Main Board

Video Card: PNY VCQ2000-PB  Quadro 2000  1 GB Professional Graphics Card

DC ROM:  BDR-2058K  Blu-Ray burner

Sound Card:  24-Bit Sound (Soundblaster Compatible)

AV Raid: AV ViceoRaid 2000GB  7200RPM Video Storage

Software 1: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Monitor: none as I have two new ones 24" Dell

Keyboard: none - I have an Adobe Premiere keyboard

Mouse: none - I have

Speakers: none - I have

• 1. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the hardware forum, where there are dozens of similar discussions

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

One there, look at the top for Hardware Guidance -- Look here first, it's the best way to start and read all the articles in the drop-down

Also, some comments

DDR3 memory is best in sets of 3 - so you want 3 x 4Gig for 12Gig total (allows room to add another 3x4 if needed later for large projects)

Quadro video card is way over priced... get an nVidia GTX 470... or something even better, go to the hardware section

Win7 PRO is all you need... Ultimate has extra "stuff" that is really only used in a managed work group

• 2. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Drop the sound card and just use the motherboard sound chip.

Also I suspect that 500 watt power supply is inadequate if you are ever thinking of upgrades

Check ADK for a well balanced and designed true video editing station

• 3. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

$3000 is kind of pricey.  The parts probably go for about $800 to $1,000.  That's quite a nice profit your guy's making.

The mobo and CPU are good choices.

8GB memory is kind of weird, because the mobo supports triple channel memory, so you should be seeing numbers like 3, 6, 12 or 24 GB of memory.  I'd go for at least 12 GB, 24 if you can afford it.  (And it sounds like you can if you have 3 G's to spend.)

Replace the WD 500 GB with a HD322GJ, 320 GB drive.  It's faster, and you won't need much storage for the System drive, which should only hold Windows and Programs.

Your graphics card is also overpriced.  You can get a GTX 460 with 2GB of onboard memory (which matters for CUDA acceleration) for about half the price.

If it were me, I'd look at the SONY Model BD-5300S-0B Blu-ray burner.  While I haven't read any reviews about this specific burner, the Sony/NEC (Optiarc) brand has regularly been at the very top of the quality list.

Skip the sound card altogether.  You won't need it.

I'm not familiar with the RAID option, but ideally you want something that can do RAID 3, and typically that means an Areca controller.

Windows 7 Ultimate is overkill.  You'll do fine with the less expensive Professional.  (Just make sure it's 64 bit.)

• 4. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                pwrshift Level 1

You guys have been great, as always.  Here is the final build on my computer ... still a day or so to change something if you see anything that should be changed:

CPU - Intel CPU Core i7-950 3.06GHz  4.8QPI  8 MB

RAM - 0 MB  12GB DDR 3

Motherboard - Asus P6X58D-E Core i7 Intel X58

Hard Drive - WD 500GB SATA 7200rpm

Case - Thermaltake Power Supply TRX 750M  TR2  RX 750W

FDD  HD Controller:  Built in FD controller 2 IDE on the main board

Video Card: eVGA Video Card GTX460  DDRS  1GB PCI Express

CD ROM: two Pioneer BDR-206BK Blu Ray burners

Sound Card: 24 Bit Sound (Soundblaster compatible built into motherboard)

AV Raid: WD VideoRaid 2X1TB = 2000GB  7200RPM Video Storage

Software: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Floppy Disk Drives: 7 slot USB 2.0 internal memory card reader

Build price: $3100 (Canadian)

• 5. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Still seems kind of pricey.

• 6. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Brian,

The components you have chosen look good. However, I agree with Jim that the price looks rather steep. Maybe if you change your OS/Program disk to a 320 GB Samsung F4 and your two disk raid0 from WD to Samsung F3 you can shave off a couple of bucks.

I  miss a third party CPU cooler. You may not need one if you stick to the standard clock speed, but if you intend to overclock you may need one.

Make sure you get 3 x 4 GB memory sticks, not 6 x 2 GB ones, because otherwise you derive yourself of the upgrade possibility to 24 GB which I expect you to do in the next year or so. Get at least 1333 or possibly 1600 sticks.

PS. I did not reply earlier because I was in Switzerland last week.

• 7. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                      Unadonis

I just configured and purchased a fairly similar system from ibuypower for way less. I started with a "2010 Paladin F" model, and built it from there. Hope I'm not breaking TOS by listing a resource...

• 8. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                        Draal Lala

Why do you say "Windows 7 Ultimate is overkill.  You'll do fine with the less expensive Professional."? Today I bought Ultimate because I sometimes want to work with a Spanish OS. Then Ultimate is the way to go, isn't it?

• 9. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                          Draal Lala Level 1

"Get at least 1333 or possibly 1600 sticks" Your thoughts on 1600 have been changed? I've a copy of your PC buying guide for NLE where you said "it is a complete waste of money to get 1600 capable memory if your FSB does not support it".  Furthermore, why did you advice to change the two disk raid0 from WD to Samsung F3 and not to F4?

• 10. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

The article was written nearly two years ago, way before CS5 was introduced, when CS4 was all we had and a 32 bit application is completely different. The F4 did not exist at that time so there was no way it could be mentioned. The statement about the FSB is still accurate. If you have a Dell or HP it makes no sense to get faster memory because their FSB is locked.

In this area one has to be careful to quote old articles on their details. The general remarks are still valid, but progress has overtaken the details mentioned. If Tom's Hardware or AnandTech have recommended a system two years ago, you would not expect that same system to still be a recommended choice today, would you? If you still believe that, I say, get real.

Once upon a time....in the West.... Tom's Hardware was full of praise of the Xeon 5160. At that moment it was possibly the best CPU (lots of) money could buy. Nowadays we consider those CPU's as dead slow. Was Tom's wrong? No, not at that moment. Now? Definitely.

In about a year's time the current i7-980X will be old news and far outclassed by the new generation of octo- or deca-cores with DDR4-4000 memory. Does that make it inaccurate to mention that currently the i7-980X is the best performing single CPU? I think not, but readers in two years time, following your powers of observation, will say: Hey, that is crap and then they are right at that moment.

Hindsight is a great gift, but does not change what has happened in the past and if you did not have all the information that is currently available, hindsight is just that.

• 11. Re: Help with new computer build for CS5 Production Studio?
                              Draal Lala Level 1

I know about the changing truth. I was surprised you are applying it to the memory-speed with X58-processors. Even at the beginning, with the i7-920 there where people with 1600 DDR3 memory. So I thought you had changed your mind on this.

Let me use this excusive post to stress my unanswered question. You did also advice Windows 7 Pro over Ultimate (in to RAID or not to RAID). But I hope I'm not doing wrong to buy Ultimate while I sometimes want to work with a Spanish OS.

Message was edited by: Draal Lala | Ultimate issue