1 2 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2011 4:30 AM by katsoulis

CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window

katsoulis Level 1

Premiere Pro CS5 has been crashing with alarming frequency whenever I resize the layout of windows within the program while video is playing. The specifics are as follows:

OSX 10.6.4 and 10.6.5
      2.GHz Quad Core with 24GB of RAM

ATI Radeon 5770

Two monitors:

Dell 2709W running at 1920x1200

Apple Cinema Display running at 1920x1200

The footage I am working is is drawn from my 5Dii at 1080p

When I resize a window (typically bringing up the time-line for more space) the Cinema display will go black, the Dell will go gray and a half second of audio will loop endlessly until I do a hard reboot (holding down the power button)  Force quit has no effect.

This seems like a fairly serious issue and one that is severly impacting my productivity.

• 1. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We're currently investigating an issue that seems to affect only the stock ATI Radeon cards in the newer Mac computers running Snow Leopard.

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update?

• 2. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
            katsoulis Level 1

At the time of my previous post, I had not updated to 5.0.3. However, I have now done so and the problem persists, and is woefully repeatable.

At present my solution is not to resize the window while video is playing, but this is not an acceptable long term solution — it reminds me too much of the old joke about the man who goes to the doctor whenever he 'does this' (raises hand over head) and the doctor tells him, 'don't do that'.

Is the issue you refered to related to the one I have posted? Can you provide specifics? While it may 'only' be affecting newer Macs with the stock ATI card, that suggests it is affecting the most common present configuration.

• 3. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Can you provide specifics?

Our testers are still looking into this.

If you don't mind, you could help us to verify something:

It appears that we may have had a fix for this issue in the 5.0.2 update that then got rebroken in the 5.0.3 update. If that is correct, then uninstalling the application, reinstalling, and then manually installing the 5.0.2 update (not the 5.0.3 update) should make the crashes/freezes stop happening. Of course, this means that you'd have to go without the fixes in the 5.0.3 update.

• 4. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                katsoulis Level 1

Until your first response here, I was running 5.0.2, so I can already report that the issue existed within 5.0.2.

• 5. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks. This information helps.

Would you mind sending in a bug report? The more information our testers get about this, the better.

• 6. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                    katsoulis Level 1

I have submitted a bug report. I assume there is little point in contacting technical support at this stage, correct?

• 7. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I have submitted a bug report.

Thank you.

> I assume there is little point in contacting technical support at this stage, correct?

Correct. Well, sort of. I mean... you are in contact with Technical Support right now. I'm the person that you get to if your issue gets escalated all the way through the technical support process. The next step after me is the engineering manager or quality engineering manager, and they're the ones who suggested that the rollback to 5.0.2 might address the issue.

We're working on this issue right now, which is why every specific case that we can get information on is helpful in isolating the problem.

• 8. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                        katsoulis Level 1

Thanks for your response. I don't know if this is helpful information, as it pertains to matters outside of Adobe's software, but it may be worth exploring if you find there is a connection. Periodically, and regardless of what software is running, my main screen will go blank, as if going to sleep, but then display digital static. This has even happened without any software running outside of the system. The problem can be corrected simply by putting the monitors to sleep again and they wake fine (no freezing issue at all). As with the above issue in Premiere, it is a solution, but not an ideal one.

I've reported this to Apple, and they have been unable to replicate the problem, nor have any of the representatives I have spoken with been aware of other reports of the issue. (This despite at least one high profile site reporting to the contrary: http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2010/20100909_MacProVideo--macpro.html)

Again, this may be totally unrelated, but given that both issues seem related to the video card, it seems worth mentioning as you attempt to track the issue.

• 9. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks again for both your patience and your information.

• 10. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                            fisk303 Level 1

Getting similar problem.

First encountered it when capturing HDV content, in the log capture screen.

Then updated premiere to 5.0.2 and I thought maybe the issue was old driver i had on my Blackmagic intensity card and updated those drivers also (not using it for capture). The problem went away.

Since 5.0.3 the issue has returned, when resizing windows. Getting same pin striped screen and total freeze.

My computer is;

Mac quad 2.66, 8g ram

osx 10.6.5

apple stock ATI 4870 512mb

Dell U2410 24"

• 11. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                              katsoulis Level 1

As a note, BRM303, your issue appears to have some difference. You describe getting the "same pin striped screen" but I never described any such pin-striping.  Further, the problem existed in 5.0.2 as well as 5.0.3, which I want to be clear about.

• 12. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                katsoulis Level 1

Would the text of OSX's crash report be useful in tracking this issue down? If so, what would be the proper channel to send that information?

• 13. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                  katsoulis Level 1

One more note that could be related: When resizing the screen without video playing, there is a very breif moment of garbled imagery while the image resizes. While this is not a functional problem, it does appear to be symptomatic of a video problem with resizing, perhaps with the video card and it's translation of resized imagery.

• 14. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That makes me think of a video driver issue, but IIRC, you have updated your video driver. Can you try to roll that back to an earlier version?

Also, remember that I am coming at this from the PC-side, so might be missing something Mac-centric.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Would the text of OSX's crash report be useful in tracking this issue down? If so, what would be the proper channel to send that information?

We would hope that you're choosing to submit the crash report if/when the crash reporter dialog box comes up. In addition to that, submitting such information in a bug report is useful.

• 16. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                        katsoulis Level 1

I am submitting these reports through the Apple crash reporter when it appears on restarting the computer after the crash. The Adobe crash reporter does not launch and thus does not allow me to make such a report. Do the two companies share information?

Should I report this bug each time it happens, accompanied by the text from the Apple crash report? I am trying to avoid allowing this crash to happen. These sorts of things can be very dangerous as there is no way for me to tell how it might be affecting other operations, such as a disk write, which could be happening at the time of the crash.

I would like to know if your team able to replicate this in-house with the same or similar hardware? If not, it would suggest something specific is happening on my machine. If so, my bug reports seem like there would add little to tracking down the issue.

• 17. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Do the two companies share information?

Yes. We don't want your instance of our application to crash, and they don't want their hardware and software to cause any user's software to crash, so we talk a lot about bugs and how to isloate and fix them.

> Should I report this bug each time it happens, accompanied by the text from the Apple crash report?

Once is enough.

> I would like to know if your team able to replicate this in-house with the same or similar hardware? If not, it would suggest something specific is happening on my machine. If so, my bug reports seem like there would add little to tracking down the issue.

Every bit of information helps.

When I talked with folks last week about this, I knew that they were working on isolating the specific cause. I don't know where they currently are with narrowing things down. (Many people are gone for Christmas now, so getting an update this week is unlikely.)

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                            joshg2468989

I'd like to join this conversation as I've been experiencing the same issues for a couple of weeks now. I just switched over from a PC and purchased a new macpro 8 core system w 16gb RAM, ATI Radeon 5770 card, 1 27" Apple Cinema Display.

Initially, when I first purchased the system (Begin of Nov.2010) I was running Premiere CS5.0, it must've been when I upgraded to 10.6.5 that I saw Premiere was starting to slow down. I called Adobe tech support, spend 2+ hours w a technician and we upgraded to 5.0.3, then the crashing started, specifically when I hit the tilda key, to go full screen. I called Adobe back. After trying to downgrade to 10.6.4 and downgrading to Premiere 5.0 and every other variation of OS and CS5 upgrade/downgrade the tech concluded that he'd bring the issue to upper level and they'd get back to me. A few days later he called and informed me that Adobe knows of the issue and that Apple in supposedly coming out w an update to deal w this Adobe crashing issue. (He easily put the blame on Apple). I'm still waiting for the update. I continuously check for MAC software updates ( and download every one). I've also sent crash reports when my system has rebooted. I feel your pain!

• 19. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've just gotten word from one of our engineers that progress is being made on this. Thanks to everyone who has sent in information to help us to isolate the issue.

> A few days later he called and informed me that Adobe knows of the issue and that Apple in supposedly coming out w an update to deal w this Adobe crashing issue. (He easily put the blame on Apple). I'm still waiting for the update

This does not accurately represent the current state of our knowledge about this issue. I would like to know who told you this. Please send me the case number for this technical support case so that I can find the source of this information and correct it. My email address is kopriva -at- adobe -dot- com.

• 20. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                joshg2468989 Level 1

Todd,

Thx for your response.

i emailed you my case #.

• 21. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                  katsoulis Level 1

I know these things take time - these are complicated programs and I am certain it is better to wait until the problem has been correctly identified and a fix thouroughly test than to release an update that causes further issues.

Thanks for your responsiveness on this Todd, it's always feels better to have information.

• 22. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Anyone who is facing this issue of Premiere Pro CS5 crashing or freezing on Mac OSX 10.6.x with an ATI Radeon card should try the following and report back:

Roll back to Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.0)---i.e., Premiere Pro CS5 without the updates.

This suggestion doesn't apply to Windows, and it doesn't apply to Macs with Nvidia cards. Just Macs with ATI cards.

We'd like to know either way---whether this works for you or not.

• 23. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                      joshg2468989 Level 1

I think I told u earlier, I tried and premiere was severely lagging and freezing , i.e. Rendering took forever as well as other problems, that's y I initially called adobe, although the crashing while expanding the screen didn't occur until I upgraded to 5.0.2 or 0.3, except for this crashing issue when premiere is running it runs fine.

Sent from my iPhone

• 24. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I think I told u earlier, I tried and premiere was severely lagging and freezing , i.e. Rendering took forever as well as other problems, that's y I initially called adobe, although the crashing while expanding the screen didn't occur until I upgraded to 5.0.2 or 0.3, except for this crashing issue when premiere is running it runs fine.

Yes, this information from you has been a useful data point in isolating the issue. I was also addressing everyone else posting on and reading this thread.

It seems that something in the recent updates may be part of the conflict that causes the crash during interaction with panels/windows on Macs with ATI cards.

• 25. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                          katsoulis Level 1

How do I back grade to 5.0?

• 26. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> How do I back grade to 5.0?

You can go back to Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.0) by uninstalling Premiere Pro CS5 and reinstalling it.

• 27. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                              katsoulis Level 1

I'm hesitant to do this if it is going to affect any of my currect projects. Are there potential issues I need to be aware of?

• 28. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'm hesitant to do this if it is going to affect any of my currect projects. Are there potential issues I need to be aware of?

If you're successfully using Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) on a project now and not experiencing crashing problems, then there is no need for you to try this. I was only suggesting that people who are blocked by this issue and want to help us to verify a hypothesis should try this. Don't jeopardize your current work by changing if you currently have a setup that is working for you.

• 29. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                  katsoulis Level 1

As long as I don't resize the screen while the video is playing, I'm not experiencing any other issues with 5.0.3. The trick is keeping myself from doing it until a fix is found. It still happens once a day or so at which point I curse, reboot and pray none of the hardware was damaged.

• 30. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                    joshg2468989 Level 1

One thing I've been doing, since the crashing is also occurring daily, is

setting my auto save to every 5 minutes so when I DO crash, I'm not losing much work.

Sent from my iPhone

• 31. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                      vovkinson

I just bought the  2010 mac pro 6-core with ATI Radeon  5770 and I'm experiencing  the same problem.

I'm getting a crash after a crash using CS5  and this is getting out of control. I can't spend additional $$ on  some CUDA video card

I've already spent enough on the hardware and software and It's  extremely disappointing that after making such an expensive purchase , I  still can't use my setup.

Adobe should stand behind their products. Their soft is NOT cheap and  with such  a price tag it should work without a glitch.

Moreover, instead of coming up with update , their experts didn't get  better ideas than suggesting "rolling back to version 5.0 , the initial  version with  tones  of bugs.

• 32. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                        vovkinson Level 1

Apple has been utilizing ATI for awhile in their computers  and they still can't figure out the conflict during interaction

• 33. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                          katsoulis Level 1

vovkinson,

I understand that you are frustrated, but if you read the posts above, it is clear they are currently working to try to fix the issue and will release an update when that have isolated the problem and corrected it. The suggestion to roll back to 5.0 was not offered as a long term solution, but as a diagnostic option. If you are experiencing the same problem that I posted about, you should be able to refrain from resizing the window while your video is playing until a solution is found. If your crashes are more frequent and under different circumstances, it would be helpful if you could specificy what is happening and when.

• 34. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                            vovkinson Level 1

we'll see....

Thanks, katsoulis

• 35. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                              joshg2468989 Level 1

My computer froze twice in the last 2 days. The first time was when I appempted to open the capture window. After I rebooted it opened perfectly fine. The 2nd crash might be related to our issue. While I was playing a clip in the preview monitor (not full screen) I changed the name of the clip. That's when my Mac froze again. I hope this info helps you (and me:) solve the issue.

THX

• 36. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                                fisk303 Level 1

Been avoiding resizing video window, to avoid a hang. Would normally try re-install, but more difficult with work machine.

Just installed 10.6.6, and notice the addition improvements;

"Resolves an issue with some Macs (that have in ATI graphics card) in which the mouse pointer movement could become erratic if an external DVI display is connected."

Had never notice the "pointer issue" but presume the driver have been updated.

So gave Premiere 5.0.3  a go resizing window by dragging & scale % valve, i can't seem to trigger the freeze.

There is a artifact in the video window as it resizes, but a momentary thing.

• 37. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                                  vovkinson Level 1

Did anyone else get a chance to try 5.03 version on OSX10.6.6 on MacPro 2010?

• 38. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                                    katsoulis Level 1

The problem persists for me under 10.6.6. I know that staff was away for the holiday, but this really needs serious attention before the bug causes irreprebable damage. I thought it might be helpful to include a couple of photos I took of the garbage thrown up on the screens during one of these crashes. (Obviously a screenshot is not possible as the entire system crashes).

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• 39. Re: CS5 freezing entire system (osx) on resize window
                                                                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We have isolated the issue and can confirm that it only happens with the 5.0.2 and 5.0.3 updates on Mac OSX with ATI cards.

This conflict does not affect Nvidia cards, it does not occur on Windows, and it does not occur with Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.0).

We're working on a fix.

1 2 Previous Next