13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 9:38 PM by gpecht

Premeire Elements V7

dice1036

1.  When pulling a file from the task panel, to review or drag and drop, a pesky thing happens.  The files all pop back to the top.  If you are retriving the 62nd file out of 100 files it pops back to the first group.  Any way of making the task panel stay at the file location you are working in, and stop this from happening?

2.  When starting a new project, all of the files from past projects are still in the task panel.  Any way of clearing these with having to go in and delete all of them by hand?

3.  Lastly, do the avantages in the newer version, V9, improve the program so that I  may want to consider buying it and replacing my current V7?

• 1. Re: Premeire Elements V7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

By "task panel," do you mean the Project Panel, or perhaps the Organizer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premeire Elements V7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here are the new features in version 9. It's up to you to decide if these new features are worthy of the upgrade cost.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

Obviously, a lot depends on what type of camcorder your video is coming from. For AVCHD, Flip camcorder and DSLR users, it's well worth moving up!

• 3. Re: Premeire Elements V7
              dice1036 Level 1

The organizer - thanks

• 4. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. The Organizer acts rather like a bunch of slides on a light table. You can move the Assets around, and I assume that is what you are seeing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                  dice1036 Level 1

thank you  --

• 6. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                    dice1036 Level 1

Thanks again  - the problem I have with it is when I go to, say the middle of a large group of "slides" by scrolling to the middle (for instance) when I click on one in the middle to review then close it, the slide area jumps back up to the beginning of the slides again, so I have to go thru the whole scrolling thing again to get back to the middle section I was working in.  Is there any way I can set it so that the area will stay scrolled at that point after working with a slide?

• 7. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Got it, and thanks for the clarification. I observe similar behavior in various other programs, all running under Windows. As I do not use the Organizer, I did not realize that it behaved the same way. Let me say, that like you, I hate that behavior in those other programs. It costs me way too much time. Maybe someone else will have a neat tip for you, regarding Organizer - or, they might just say, "that's the way that it is." I hope that it's a neat tip/trick, that they come up with though.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                        dice1036 Level 1

Just irritating --- I will let you know if I get any tips that override it.

Also, do you know any way to start a new project and have the organizer empty?  When I start a new one, the organizer still has all of the vids, stills and music from previous projects.

Bill

• 9. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                          gpecht Level 1

I don't think there is a neet trick to change this behavior, but here are some ideas on how to make use of the Organizer:

You can filter by >newest or oldest files< first, hide any media you don't need, like pictures or music files. You could even create separate catalogs for your projects ( I don't recommend this since it is more complicated in Version 7).

Best way of doing it would be to use >Tagging< and / or create Albums for your project. That lets you filter to see only your current media. You should be able to find some tutrials on how to use the Organizer.

• 10. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                            dice1036 Level 1

Great advice.  I will try it.  Do you feel I am missing anything by not moving up to Version 9?  I shot with a JVC Hi-Res hard drive camcorder, and mainly store various home clips on the computer to use later to edit into a full project.  Version 7 has been fine for my needs but not sure if I am missing something.

Thanks again,

Bill

• 11. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                              gpecht Level 1

I don't think you miss anything by not upgrading to Version 9.

Version 7 is very reliable and stable. If you don't have any trouble importing and working with your camcorder's clips stick with it. But you could download the free trial of the new versions of PS/PE and test drive them to see if you like them better.

I upgraded, mostly because of the new features of Photoshop Elements. I am happy with my decision to upgrade Premiere Elements too. But I had some trouble to get it to run on my system. I still have Version7 installed and use it for things that are not availlable in version 9 anymore.

• 12. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                                dice1036 Level 1

Sounds good.  After your comments, I think I will stay with what I have.  You have been very helpful.  If you don't mind, I will keep your email address in case I run into another puzzle.

Thanks - Bill

• 13. Re: Premeire Elements V7
                                  gpecht Level 1

I am glad you found my answer helpful. If you would like some more help with PE make sure to check out muvipix.com.