7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 6:17 AM by the_wine_snob

Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?

bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Hi everyone:

I have used PE3 for a number of years, but have just recently purchased PE9.My system does meet the minimum requirements; I checked again just before writing this.

I am having difficulties with bringing in a PE3 project, into PE9.

When I rendered my project, it literally took 48 HOURS!!! And after all that, the quality was terrible - really jerky, pixelated, etc.
      So I obviously have something wrong somewhere.

I would appreciate any help you guys can provide me with.

Thankyou.

Kind Regards

Rach

• 1. Re: Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rach,

There is often somewhat limited forward compatibility between versions, but there are often issues. Going from PrE 3 to PrE 9 is likely to not work well, at all. I would suggest going to the PrE 3 and that Project, and then editing it either fully, or very loosely, then Exporting to DV-AVI. Import that AV file into PrE 9 to complete.

Best would be to finish all Projects in PrE 3.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?
            bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Thanks for that, Bill.

That's what I was (sadly) thinking, too.  Just to finish my PE3 project and then start a-fresh in PE9.

However, do you think it is worth my trying to export my PE3 file to DV-AVI? Would that actually work correctly? Do u know of anyone who has had success doing that?

Thanking you, in anticipation of your reply,

Rach

• 3. Re: Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rach,

Yes, that would work just fine, but you have one big decision - should you edit loosely, or should you edit very tightly. What happens is that when one Exports a Timeline, a new AV file is created. Where one had Clips on their original Timeline, they now have a finished file, so aspects, like Handles no longer exist. If one has added Transitions, those are "set in stone." If one later decides to make changes, the Handles are gone, and Transitions have to be cut out, and new Handles created. That might work, but might well cut too much into the Clips. Were I faced with that prospect, I would go the other direction - editing very loosely, leaving plenty of Handles and not doing any Transitions, should I change my mind later.

Effects will work fine, but cannot be undone, and it is possible that Adobe has added a better one in the later version. However, they might have removed a favored one, in the later version?

Good luck, and sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?
                bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Hello again, Bill:

Luckily my project is not yet up to the stage of adding transitions, etc.

But I just tried to save it to a avi file (whilst eating lunch!) and have come back to an error message saying that it can't do it because the disk is full. I have checked that drive, and have 21 gigs left. So why would I be getting that message?

As an alternative, can I save the file to disc and then import it into PE9? (I probably don't know what I'm talking about... but just thought I'd check)

• 5. Re: Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?
                  bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by 'handles'?

• 6. Re: Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?
                    nealeh Level 5

You don't have enough free disk space. The Standard Definition DV-AVI that PRE uses internally (eg temporary renders) runs at about 12GB per hour.

You really need a minimum of 30GB (preferably 60GB) free contiguous disk space to work with PRE. The free CCleaner is a good tool for deleting unnecessary files. Then use something like the excellent free SpaceSniffer to identify what else is using your disk space.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Best way to bring in a Premiere Elements 3 project?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale has addressed the "low disk space" issue from above, so I will address Handles. When one adds Transitions, a certain number of Frames will be used, before and/or after the set In & Out Points. Those are Handles. Since most NLE's (Non Linear Editors) do not actually work with the original Clips, but only a proxy for display purposes, the program will access the original files, when time comes to Export/Share. It will then gather those necessary Frames from the original Clip, so that there is material (the Handles), to allow the Transitions to work. When one has Exported/Shared to a new AV file, the originals are not accessed, and only the Frames in that AV file are available. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Handles - what they are, where they come from and how they are used with Transitions.

Were I outputting an AV file, to be edited later, I would set all In & Out Points very loosely, so that when I do go to edit, I have the necessary Handles. Say you have a Clip, of a young lady picking up a telephone, and making a call. You want the In Point to be the moment that her hand touches the telephone handset (let's call that Frame 61), and you have 02 sec. of material before that Frame (~ 60 Frames). Rather than setting the In Point to that Frame 61, I'd reset it to approximately Frame 29 - 30, to allow for Transitions later. When all Clips have been adjusted in that way, then I would Export/Share, knowing that I will reset to the desired In & Out Points, when I "tighten up" my edit of the resulting AV file, and still have the extra Frames (Handles), to do my Transitions. That is what I meant by a loose edit.

The opposite of that method would be to do a tight edit, where I know that I have the perfect In & Out Points, and adequate Handles, then add the desired Transition, before doing the Export/Share. I would know that I will not have the ability to really change any of this later, as it will be burned into my output AV file, but if I have done my editing as I desire, I will be fine. If this is a commercial job, I will get the client to sign-off on that tight edit, as if I later need to change things, I will then have to go back to the original footage, and replace what I have, with that - can be a lot of work in a big Project.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt