21 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 2:56 AM by BriRonS

Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...

KaelanSamoranos

This warning keeps popping up about an incompatible driver. Adobe Premiere Elements 9 has been working for me before this. The program works but it cannot display the actual clip. Sound works, but it just doesn't show anything. Please help me!!! I need this editor for a project due this Friday 12/17/10!

IMG000108.jpg
      It says "We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver Display driver details :Intel - Intel Cantiga 1.5.0 - Build 7.15.10.1502"

• 1. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
          Akshat B Adobe Employee

I have sent you a private message regarding this issue

• 2. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
            Daksha123

Hi All,

Adobe has released update 9.0.1 for Premiere Elements 9. It is an auto-update so you should get it automatically or you may download it through

Help->Updates.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

This update improves stability and consists of the fixes for some of the issues as reported by the users through various forums.

This update resolves the following issues:
            1. Title related crashes
            2. Issues related to incompatible Display driver for certain Graphic (GPU) Cards
            3. Other Bug Fixes

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
              Wizawood

I have this problem as well, everything was working fine when I went to bed and next day I got the same message.  I was happy

to find the update to fix this until it didn't fix it.  I am using a NVidia Geforce 9500 GT, P5N-D Asus motherboard, Window XP Pro SP3.

All drivers are current.  I could use some help, I have run out of Ideas.  I just purchased Premiere 9 this past Christmas, and it is totally usless.

go past the message (incompatible display driver), when I get into the program and try to aquire media for my project it totally freezes up.

• 4. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at this FAQ Entry. Does that help you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Also, don't have other apps running that are video related and have playback monitors themselves when you start up Premiere Elements. Even after the 9.0.1 update and deleting the BadDrivers.txt file, I got the incompatible driver message, then I put two plus two together and figured I should shut down the other video apps.

• 6. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                    Wizawood Level 1

Thanks Bill, That did it!

Thanks for pointing me to that post!  Somehow in all my searches that never popped up.  The big problem seems to be in the BadDriver.txt.  Once that was deleted everthing worked fine.  I've been using the program for a couple of days now and almost forgot to write back and let you know that your swift reply, as well as those from others, was greatly appreciated in my hour of need.

• 7. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad that helped.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                        Peter_in_SF

In my case, None of the actions suggested by Adobe make the problem go away. I just installed P9 on a brandnew Asus Notebook U36JC (Intel Core i5 with Intel HD and Nvidio GeForce 350). I can't update any graphics drivers; according to Asus they're the actual ones, plus I'd expect Premiere to be running on the GeForce, not the Intel Chip (which the "incompatible driver" is for).

I don't get a Video preview, which renders this whole software useless.I really hope Adobe is fixing this, or it will hurt their reputation.

Considering it was almost seamlessly running on a much slower CoreDuo only on the embedded graphics before, this is really annoying. I mainly bought the new notebook to speed up video editing - ending up with a dead software.

• 9. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

With a MoBo that has both embedded Intel graphics chips, and also nVidia, or ATI graphics, there is usually a setting to bypass the Intel. This could be via jumpers, DIP switches, or via software in the BIOS. In Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, what is shown as your graphics adapter, and what is the listed driver? It could be as simple as the builder not throwing the correct switch, or doing the BIOS Setup properly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                            nealeh Level 5

Peter_in_SF wrote:

I just installed P9 on a brandnew Asus Notebook U36JC (Intel Core i5 with Intel HD and Nvidio GeForce 350).

All drivers on any brand new PC are likely to be around six months out of date because the 'master drive' from which all the retail drives are copied will be months old. Download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site (nvidia in your case - you'll want the mobile version). Ditto Audio and QuickTime player. See this fuller article for a list of basic tasks to work through: PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                              Peter_in_SF Level 1

Thanks Bill, but I'd rather not bypass the Intel graphics - it is part of a sophisticated energy-saving strategy that switches between the embedded and the Nvidia-graphics as needed. That is basically the new architecture for longer lasting battery life in notebooks, and I think software and system ought to be dealing with it.

• 12. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                Peter_in_SF Level 1

Neal, thanks for the advice - Asus has an integrated updating software which supposedly gets all the new drivers immediately after installation of windows. I'll give it a shot by hand, but first of all, P9 complains about an Intel driver, not one of Nvidia, and second, I'm afraid I'll shoot up something in the configuration done by Asus. Then again, what choice do I have If I don't want to be stuck with Microsoft Movie Maker Live....

• 13. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  That is basically the new architecture for longer lasting battery life in notebooks, and I think software and system ought to be dealing with it.

That might be the wave of the future for general computing, but is not a good scheme for video editing, which is much more intesnse, and especially with the interface with the video driver, than wordprocessing, spreadsheets or surfing the Web.

It's the same with the "green" HDD's. They work fine with Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, etc., but not well at all with regard to video, or audio-editing.

It's akin to pointing out that the Chevy Volt is great for going to the grocery store, but do not try towing your 25' boat in the mountains with one. Different equipment for different tasks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                    Peter_in_SF Level 1

Bill, you're right there, but then P9 Elements is the plastic version of Video-Editing-Software, it should be able to be towed by my Volt (I have a Prius, though...) ;-) Thanks for your help.

Neal: I should stop doubting advice. Went to Nvidia, had my graphics analysed, got two downloads (...) one of which fixed the problem.

All in all I've spent about 12 hours to get this brandnew notebook up and running to the extend it was meant for. Most of which probably is to blame on Asus: Very good hardware, ok Software, nil communications.

Macs probably aren't better computers, but the experience in setting one up is just soooo much better than almost anything windows.

Now I'll go back to see wether I get my TV tuner running on MCE...

Thanks guys, (one) annoying problem solved.

• 15. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The same can be said for Intel - great chips, but where video is concerned, lousy driver support.

With most computer programs, if one can get a display on the monitor, all is pretty good. However, with NLE work, things are not so good. Those programs (some, more than others) need to interface with the driver at a very high level. Same for 3D applications. If the driver is not working 100%, they will not either.

Now, PrE is an entry-level program, but still relies heavily on the video (and audio) driver to work properly. Many folk are pressing "normal" computers into service with it, and also CyberLink PowerDirector, Sony Vegas, Magix MovieEdit Pro, and similar. It's easy to hit a performance ceiling with these units, and if one adds in AVCHD, or other H.264 sources, things must be tuned to 100%, to run acceptably. With PrPro, AVID, FCP, and similar, most users are already on much stronger computers, but can still have the system brought to its knees by just a bad, outdated/obsolete video driver. With 3D apps, most users are also on workstations, but there is that same vulnerability. The system is only as good as its weakest link - whether a video driver, the CPU, or the I/O sub-system. All are potential bottlenecks. The CPU and the I/O are pretty fixed, and so long as they do not go bad, they will continue to perform at the normal rates (until HDD's start getting filled up), but video drivers can be rendered obsolete by such simple things as an OS update, or hot-fix. They are probably the most vulnerable aspect of the system for video editing.

Good luck, and at least you have the benefit of the nVidia chip - most do not have that luxury with a laptop.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                        Peter_in_SF Level 1

Bill

the_wine_snob wrote:

Good luck, and at least you have the benefit of the nVidia chip - most do not have that luxury with a laptop.

Well, that luxury cost me 1000 bucks plus (so far) 12 hours of my life, as it was the reason for me to upgrade from a weaker Asus-Notebook - hence my frustration with it not working with P9.

Of course this system isn't built to be a pro's Video-Editing-Tool, but for the eventual thingy I do it should be fine. Main reason I love the U-Series of Asus is the runtime. The UL3 I had ran 12 hours on one charge, the new one does at least 8.

• 17. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

We won't even start to talk about runtimes on my Sager video-editing notebook. In my case, I do run it off the mains about 99% of the time, so it's more of an easily movable desktop, than a laptop in the strictest sense. Still, it handles video and Photoshop work very well. I'm about to upgrade it, and will go with the same Sager, but updated to the latest specs., though at a saving of about US$ 1200 over my older unit. Things are now 4x faster, at least half again larger, and it costs less!!!! I cannot complain, however, as I have gotten four great years of flawless service from it, and only hope the new guy is half so good.

When all three HDD's are spinning, I think I can get about 30 mins. of full service, before things start going into low-power mode...

I envy you,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                            nealeh Level 5

I'm glad to hear the driver update fixed your issue. I have some peripherals with supposedly 'automatic version checks' but always double-check manually. Also be careful if Windows Updates offers optional updates for your hardware - it is always suggesting to me a webcam 'update' about four years older than my installed version.

Now that you're sorted happy editing.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                              domi2thetop

Hello Everyone....

I've had Premiere Elements 9 installed on a Sony laptop with an Intel HD graphics adapter for about 2 months now. I recently started getting the "Incompatible Display Driver" message and, like other users, I am no longer able to preview my work. This is frustating!!!! I've tried installing different versions of the driver....I even tried Microsoft's generic display driver. Howerver, I have not solved the problem.

Note: I searched for BadDrivers.txt and cannot find it in my system. I am running Windows 7 64-bit [with an Intel HD graphics adapter]

Can somebody please help!!!!

• 20. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                                nealeh Level 5

On my W7-64 system the file is at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: Premiere 9: Incompatible Driver...
                                                  BriRonS

I had this problem a few months ago and fixed it by installing the 9.01 update and deleting the

bad driver.txt file. However for no obvious reason the problem has now returned. I've tried deleting the bad driver.txt file again but when I do this Premiere won't open up at all. I've checked the web-site for my graphics card (an Asus 4650 1gb) and can't see any more recent drivers than last time so I am perplexed as to what is causing the problem. MyOS is Windows XP. System is Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.40Ghz. 3.42 Ghz 2 gbRAM. Can anyone offer any suggestions please? I didn't have any other programmes running when I tried to open it up.