6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 12:14 PM by nealeh

Pe9 / Organizer - sort by OriginalDateTime

benniegibson Level 1

After reading through a number of posts I feel like I'm missing something fundamental here...  I have just started using Pe9 after a number of years of using Pe2 and am still sorting out the nuances of the Organizer.

In particular, date handling has me puzzled.  I would expect photos in the organizer to be sorted by the date the picture was taken but it appears they are sorted by the date the file was stored in the computer (EXIF DateTime which appears to be when the file was stored). I have looked at the properties and the EXIF data shows as follows DateTime = the date the file was physically loaded on my computer while OriginalDateTime is correct (the date the picture was taken).  Hence, the photo sort is of little use.  Am I missing something here?  It almost looks as if I would have to create multiple collections each one selected by a specific OriginalDateTime which seems a huge burden.

Hoping I'm missing something here.  Any input appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Pe9 / Organizer - sort by OriginalDateTime
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is, strangely, by design, bennie.

That's why some people are using programs like Picasa to do the kind of thing you want to do.

• 2. Re: Pe9 / Organizer - sort by OriginalDateTime
            nealeh Level 5

Mine sorts by EXIF data by default. The only sort option I'm aware of is date ascending or descending. In my example below are you saying that your Organizer would use 29th November?

1.png

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Pe9 / Organizer - sort by OriginalDateTime
              benniegibson Level 1

Good questions and thanks for the "visual".

From what I'm looking at, following the experience I'm seeing with organizer,

the example picture you provided would be sorted by either DateModified (10/29) or EXIF DateTime (10/27).

As I look at your example, the pictures in your organizer project are sorted by EXIF DateTimeOriginal.

As you can see in my first example below, I have SOME pictures that are sorted by DateModified or EXIF DateTime (cannot tell which one).

I also have some pictures  that are sorted by DateTimeOriginal (see second example).

I would expect ALL pictures to be sorted by the same metadata and I would

expect EXIF DateTimeOriginal to be the most logical sort choice NOT DateModified.

Example one - Note the picture caption shows "12/8/2010" for sorting (green arrow)

This matches the red arrows (Date Modified and EXIF Date Time).

Your example shows sorting by and caption for the picture as EXIF Date Time Original (which is pointed at in my example by blue arrow).

EXIFSortInfo_edited-1 copy.jpg

Example two - for some reason some pictures in the same organizer project are sorted by EXIF Date Time Original.  Not sure how

pictures in the same project are being sorted by different metadata (even though I'd LOVE for ALL pictures in this project

to be sorted by EXIF Date Time Original)

EXIFSortInfoExample2.jpg

Feels like:

1 - I may be doing something to change the "EXIF DateTime" which I should sort out and fix

2 - Organizer is sorting based on something I don't understand given the different sorting behavior in the same project

Thoughts or input appreciated - thanks again for your reply.  In the meantime, I'm looking at EXIFTOOL as possible solution

but I'm not clear how to handle the different sorting behaviors I'm seeing (possibly because the pictures are physically in

different folders in Windows?)

• 4. Re: Pe9 / Organizer - sort by OriginalDateTime
                benniegibson Level 1

I think I have my answer - it has to do with how I bring the pictures into organizer.  Originally, I loaded the pictures into Pe9

then start organizer.  Out of curiosity, I loaded the pix directly from their file folders into organizer and the EFIX DateTimeOriginal

is the sort date now.  Makes me wonder what Pe9 is doing when I get the media using Pe9 rather than organizer.

• 5. Re: Pe9 / Organizer - sort by OriginalDateTime
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting, and thanks for reporting the "mechanics" of things.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Pe9 / Organizer - sort by OriginalDateTime
                    nealeh Level 5

Glad to hear you solved it. Thanks for posting back how - it will help other users coming to these forums with similar questions.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children