10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 2:49 AM by genoden

Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear

gabrielv70

I have a large library that I am organizing of vector only files, some imported from Illustrator.

When I re-name some of the items other Movieclip items in the library lose their contents and all that is left is an empty symbol.

I repeated this several times and tried to find workarounds. Like duplicating the symbol. This worked for the one item but then it deleted another symbols contents.

• 1. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
          gabrielv70 Level 1

I just realized that when a MC is nested in another MC and you change the name in the library the name does not update in the nested symbol.

I found this out by swapping symbol on the missing MC's (only the centerpoint was visible).

• 2. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
            gabrielv70 Level 1

Another test.

The original symbol name is:

utility_industrial_crate_metal_001_3x3

I rename it to :

containers_industrial_crate_metal_001_3x3

The new symbol, containers_industrial_crate_metal_001_3x3, seems fine.

Symbol utility_industrial_scaffolding_crates_001_8x3 where the symbol was nested shows blank a symbol. I right click on the blank symbol to swap symbol and the old symbol name is still visible in the swap symbol modal.

I save and restart the file and the original symbol utility_industrial_crate_metal_001_3x3 re-appears in the library empty.

I use a lot of nested symbols in large libraries so this is a major bug.

• 3. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
              amymacmeercat

Yes, a huge pain- I've lost hours because of this. Duplicating rather than renaming helped at first, but eyeballs and bodyparts keep disappearing & I have to go back to earlier versions of the same file, find the symbol before I got messed up, distribute to layers within that symbol to find missing eyeballs, go back to the messed up symbol in my new file, enter edit mode, and paste in missing eyeballs, lips, etc. HOURS WASTED.

Major bug indeed. Wish I had an answer.

• 4. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
                swamwich

I am having the same issue too.

Question- did you download and install the Trial version of CS5 before purchasing?

I have downloaded and installed the trial and THEN the full version...wondering if there is something corrupted in the trial.

This has happened on two different Macs and two different installs...the only connection is that I started with the trial version first....

• 5. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
                  swamwich Level 1

Whoa....get this....

I looked through the folders in the library where it has the imported BMPs...I always put them together in a folder to keep things tidy...anyway, the original GRAPHICS are there....like before they are converted to MovieClips....so rather than reimporting everything again, I just dragged and dropped the graphic back into the empty movieclip....so that will save time...

...thats a little glimmer of hope...

...so it isn't deleting out the source file, just whatever the MovieClip contains.....

...weird..

• 6. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
                    *Q Level 3

The library items that you renamed, was there an instance of it on stage? If not, then the workaround is that you need to load the item prior to renaming it. To load it, you can either click on it first before renaming, or drag a copy on stage.

• 7. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
                      Sacredcolours

I have lots of similar problems.

I am working on a project with a very big library. Sometimes when I open the fla file my imported bitmaps just disappear from the library. Sometimes they are replaced with a wrong bitmap. This is really strange and It costs me big amount of time to fix the imported bitmaps every time.

I'll be very happy if someone knows a solution for this problem.

• 8. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
                        genoden Level 1

This seems to be happening to my animators right now as they are opening pre-animated flash files to continue working on them.

Did you find a solution at all?

Thanks in advance - hopefully!

G

• 9. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
                          gabrielv70 Level 1

The only real solution for this is to never edit a library item without having an instance of it on the main stage. This won't bring back items that you lost but may help keep them from disappearing in the future.

• 10. Re: Flash CS5 - Library item contents disappear
                            genoden Level 1

That's good to know.

I'll put it to the animators in question and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

G