17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 11:01 AM by Steve Grisetti

Changing workspace in PE9

Rob Velds

I try to change my workspace in PR9. According to the help (and prior versions as well) I try to move a new window (Ctrl leftmouse) to the drop area in an existing window.

However nothing happens! Do I miss a simple but important hint?

Rob

• 1. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
          nealeh Level 5

If you are talking about undocking windows you need to use Window> Show Docking Headers. If that's not what you are asking can you give some more detail and how to find the Help entry.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Right, Neale! In fact, that's the first thing I recommend doing in the first chapter of my books!

• 3. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, not EVERY Panel can be moved about. Steve, correct me, if I am wrong, but doesn't the Timeline need to remain where it is, or is that just for dual-monitor setups?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Changing workspace in PE9

There was a bug in an older version of Premiere Elements wherein you couldn't undock the Timeline/Sceneline -- but that's been fixed.

Only the Tasks panel won't undock. The others can be undocked from the interface and placed anywhere you'd like on your desktop!

• 5. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Cool, and thanks for educating me.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                    Rob Velds Level 1

I just try to incorporate 2 ot 3 other windows in my (permanent) workspace of Premiere (info, audiometers and history).

In the past this was just a matter of drag and drop (holding the Ctrl key) but now I'm puzzled.

I'm afraid I overlook a simple thing.

Rob

• 7. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                      nealeh Level 5

Sorry but I'm still not understanding. You mention a Help File entry - can you give me a link to that Help entry.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 8. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                        Rob Velds Level 1

Workspace PRE9.jpg

A picture says more than 1000 words.

Here is my screenprint.

The white section is the help where is shown how to drop a window in an existing one. (Sorry text is Dutch!)

In the timeline area the 2 windows I want to incorporate in my workspace.

In prior versions no problem and in 9 it should be possible too (Mentioned in the Help)

I can hardly imagine this is new for (all of) you

Rob Velds

• 9. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                          nealeh Level 5

I can't find anything close to that screen in PRE9 English. The best I can find is http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS81400DF4-BFBE-46b6-8396-DADE8297EA0B. html

At the top right of your Community Help screen there is an URL starting http://help.adobe.com/nl_NL. Could you copy that link and place it into a reply here (as I've done above).

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Changing workspace in PE9

Have you gone to Windows and selected Show Docking Headers? You must do this or you won't be able to re-arrange your workspace.

There are also limits to how much you can re-arrange the space.

In fact, the Help file is wrong. You will NOT see these "drop zones" as you move the panels around. Once you undock a panel, it becomes a floating window and you can drag it to anywhere on our desktop. You can not, however, re-link it to the program's interface without going to Window and selecting Restore Workspace.

• 11. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                              nealeh Level 5

Wow! I've just tried that [Ctrl]+[Left-Click] in PRE7. A feature that I was unaware of. Unfortunately it seems to be another feature quietly dropped in PRE9.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                                nealeh Level 5

Steve, fire up your PRE7. Display Audio Meters and [Ctrl]-Drag to the right-hand edge of the Timeline - up pops a drop-zone. Release the mouse and the meters fit directly into the GUI as a docked pane - exactly as Rob describes. And it works with docking headers hidden.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                                  Rob Velds Level 1

Thanks Neale.

I wonder whether program developers are really using their stuff, I used this always (but maybe I'm the only one in the world).

In fact the help in PRE9 refers still to this feature (see my screenprint)

BTW in CS5 the feature still excisting.

So let's say,the question has been answered but forme not helpful.

Thanks for the effort.

Rob

• 14. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                                    nealeh Level 5

I'm pretty sure I could have made more use of it if I'd known about it - adding/removing extra panes 'on demand'. And without the annoying way that floating windows can so quickly disappear beneath others. Perhaps not so important for users with multiple monitors. It does seem strange though to remove Gui functionality from a product.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      I wonder whether program developers are really using their stuff, I used this always (but maybe I'm the only one in the world).

While not specific to PrE (mostly have the default setup, as I have it on a tiny 17" laptop monitor), but I have manipulated almost all of my Panels, and dropped some into other tabbed Panes, in PrPro. That interface makes the operation so very, very simple. Now, I use that program mainly on a dual-monitor setup, so I have a ton of screen real estate to play with. You are not alone, trust me. I just did not know all the ins-n-outs with PrE, and especially with PrE 9, but Steve and Neale do. I actually learned some things from your post - thank you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Changing workspace in PE9
                                        Felix G Level 1

Is there a post someplace about what other features have been quietly dropped in PrEl 9 ?

After having left PrEl 8 alone, I am now having a new shot at PrEl 9.

But the first thing I notice is that I can't set up my dual screen properly (at least not in the convenient way PrEl 7 allowed for).

Is PrEl 9 worth the money in comparison with PrEl 7 ?

Thanks for your reply

Felix

• 17. Re: Changing workspace in PE9

A couple of people have put together a list on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=8758

But you should still be able to set up a dual-monitor set-up with no problem.

Version 9 includes much more versatility, efficiency and stability when dealing with non-taped based video. If that's important to you, it may well be worth the upgrade.

You can find a complete list of new features in my article that links  from this page.