4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 8:20 AM by ECBowen

Monitoring Hi-Def in Premiere CS4

jdmack01 Level 1

For some time now, if I wanted to see how my Premiere CS4 project looked on an NTSC 4:3 monitor, I just sent the image down the firewire through my DVCAM deck and out to the monitor.  But now I want to view AVCHD projects on a flat screen monitor, and down scaling to SD via firewire looks pretty bad.  What sort of hardware would I need to view hi-def projects from Premiere on a hi-def monitor?

J. D.

• 1. Re: Monitoring Hi-Def in Premiere CS4
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Do you have a second DVI output connector on your available graphics card?  If so, either attach a 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 monitor to it and in the upper right hand corner of the Program Monitor widow select the tiny menu and at the bottom select Playback Settings and then your second monitor.  If you want to use a HDTV then an adapter from the DVI connctor will convert it to an audio-less HDMI signal.

• 2. Re: Monitoring Hi-Def in Premiere CS4
            jdmack01 Level 1

>>Do you have a second DVI output connector on your available graphics card?>>

Yes I do, and now that I know that DVI can be converted to HDMI, I think I'm all set.  Thank you!

J. D.

• 3. Re: Monitoring Hi-Def in Premiere CS4
              jdmack01 Level 1

Just to follow up.

My video card - the Quadro FX 570 - does not support 60 hz refresh rate at 1920x1080, only 30 hz.  My Viewsonic HDTV requires 60 hz at that resolution, and can't do lower resolution without cutting off the image (no matter which "zoom" setting I choose).   I think I'll buy a second computer monitor and just stretch the workspace such that the video image fills one monitor and the controls fill the other monitor.

J. D.

• 4. Re: Monitoring Hi-Def in Premiere CS4
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

It would be easier and better to dump that video card. The lower end Quadro's are basically garbage for editing. I would look at one of the lower 400 series cards like the 450.

Eric

ADK