4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 9:53 AM by KeithGilbert

[JS CS5] Resizing graphics after importing XML, but before placing on page

KeithGilbert Level 1

I've been looking for an answer for this for a long time, and judging by the other posts here, many others are also.

Given an XML file consisting of:

<root>

<products>

<product>

<image href="file:///filepathhere"/>

<description>

<product>

<image href="file:///filepathhere"/>

<description>

I can import this into a layout, and drag the products element to a text frame. All the images appear inline, and then I run a script that uses XML Rules to locate the images, resize the image frames, and apply an object style. The trouble is, that once in a while the images references by the XML are so enormous that they simply exceed the bounds of the pasteboard, and things blow up.

So what I want to do instead, is to somehow resize the images to a manageable size BEFORE I drag the products element into a text frame.

Ole posted a possible solution here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1108974#1108974

In that post, he says that "If you're using CS4, can use the resize method to resize graphics that have not yet been placed in a layout." I've been trying to implement his "rough" script, and I can't work it out.

This is what I have:

var myRuleSet = new Array (new processImage);

with (myDoc) {

var elements = xmlElements;

__processRuleSet(elements.item(0), myRuleSet);

function ProcessImage(){

this.name = "ProcessImage";

this.xpath = "/root/products/product/image";

this.apply = function(myElement, myRuleProcessor){

var myImage = myElement.graphics.item();

myImage.resize(CoordinateSpaces.innerCoordinates, AnchorPoint.centerAnchor, ResizeMethods.multiplyingCurrentDimensionsBy,[.1,.1]);

myImage.parent.fit(FitOptions.frameToContent);

return true;

}

}

"myImage" isn't valid in the script above. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this!