9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 10:40 AM by NJD90210

Audio and video losing sync

NJD90210

Hi,

I am currently having problems with the sync dropping as the media file goes on. It's close at the start, but after about 10 minutes the audio is visibly out of sync with the video. By the end, it can be up to a couple seconds off. I am using .avi files downloaded from the internet, and the media analysis says they're 23.97fps. I tried making my project settings 23.97 drop frame, 29.97 drop frame, 24 non-drop, 30 non-drop, and 60 non-drop, editing in both NTSC and "desktop" mode. They all experience the same issue. It is not the .avi itself that is out of sync, as when watched in Windows Media Player or another player the sync is fine.

Does anyone know a possible fix for this?

Thanks,

Nathan

• 1. Re: Audio and video losing sync
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Tell us more about your system.

• 2. Re: Audio and video losing sync
            NJD90210 Level 1

Windows 7 64-bit OS

64 bit quad core 2.8Ghz processor (Intel if I remember right)

8GB RAM

3 separate (non-raid) HDD, 1TB, 2x2TB

ATI Radeon 5700HD GPU

• 3. Re: Audio and video losing sync
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nathan,

Welcome to the forum.

What are the full specs. of the AVI file? This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background on the AVI (and other) format, and tell you how to determine the CODEC, and other aspects. Very likely something in those specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio and video losing sync
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update? That update fixes some problems with synchronization between audio and video.

• 5. Re: Audio and video losing sync
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I am using .avi files downloaded from the internet

It's very possible that's your problem.  Stick to using media you shot yourself using a supported camera format, and things should be OK.

• 6. Re: Audio and video losing sync
                    NJD90210 Level 1

@Jim,

Unfortunately I cannot always have complete control over the media format, codec, camera it was recorded on, etc., especially since I have to work with whatever media is given to me.

@Bill,

I read the article mentioned above about codecs...but once I have the information on the codec used in the .avi file via G-spot or some other program how do I configure Premiere to work appropriately with that media?

@Todd,

I downloaded the latest 5.0.3 update and it did not help this issue.

I used Adobe Premiere 5 (not CS5, not Pro 5, just plain 5 back in 1999ish) for similar things and it worked fine - no errors.

• 7. Re: Audio and video losing sync
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Nathan,

Once one knows the proper CODEC, it's a two-step process. First, one finds that CODEC on the Internet. Here, I will normally try to go to the source, even if it means buying that CODEC. I seldom reach for the "free" versions first. Next, one installs that CODEC on the system, and reboots. Then, the CODEC will be available. Note: as stated in the article, just having a CODEC properly installed on the system is no guarantee that one's NLE can work with it. In most cases, it can, but not all. Also, having a particular CODEC might ONLY work with something like Export, but not editing.

What CODEC was in those AVI files?

If something like Indeo, DivX, Xvid, then there will likely be incompatibilities in PrPro. If MJPEG, or many others, just installing the CODEC should work seamlessly in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio and video losing sync
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I have to work with whatever media is given to me.

In that case, always request the original camera media.

My point was, with Internet video, things don't always go well.  There are just too many variables that can cause issues like the one you're seeing here.

Using the original media from a supported camera, things normally go pretty smooth.

• 9. Re: Audio and video losing sync
                          NJD90210 Level 1

Tried all of the above options and none worked.

Just ended up unlinking the audio and setting speed to 99.968% of normal.