9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 7:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5

nicki_ch Level 1

Hi,

Could anyone point me in a right direction of what format and settings should I choos to export sequences from Prepro Cs5 in order to making High Quality DVD through Encore Cs5?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
          Pyramid Pyro Level 1

This should generally work...

MPG2

Video = 8 mbs CBR (or lower)

Audio = 192 kbs Dolby Digital (AC3)

720X480

Encore should be able to take that file without transcoding it.

Your mileage may vary

Best of luck,

Erik

• 2. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would go for mpeg2-dvd, VBR and multiplexer off.

If the sourse is DV the field order should be lower.

You can push the target up to 7 and the max to 9.

You can set the audio to Dolby stereo (no need for the Surcode) now in Premiere.

export ntsc dvd.png

• 3. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Another option is to Export as DV-AVI for the Video only, no multiplexing, and then Export the Audio as PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Import the DV-AVI into En as a Timeline, and the Audio as an Asset. From the En Project Panel, drag the WAV to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place. One can then set Transcoding to the specs. desired, or leave it on Automatic. The Automatic setting saves having to bit-budget and is quite good.

Another way would be to use Adobe Dynamic Link and Import it directly, with no Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
                nicki_ch Level 1

Hi Ann,

The Source is:

1440 X 1080 (1,333)

25 fps

48000 Hz

My settings:

format: MPEG2-DVD

VBR.2passes (I just don't what it stand for, but someone said it's bette using  this)

I cropped both Top and Bottum by 13, otherwise there's always a blank space on both left and right side.

Do you think my settings are correct?

What the output it would give when play back on Tv screen?

Thanks

settings_Top&Bottum_13_cropped.PNG

• 5. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The VBR = Variable Bit Rate, and that comes into play, with the 2-pass option. The first pass basically catalogs the footage, and flags the segments with rapid motion, etc., then in the second pass, Variable Bit Rates are applied, with the static footage getting a lower Bit-Rate, and the rapid motion getting a higher Bit-Rate.

For Hollywood, it's common to use software with 9+ passes, though those programs cost as much as a small house and are run by experts, who do nothing else all day - every day. They are also well-paid for their expertise.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
                    nicki_ch Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I'm very happy to hear you advice again!

So what the Cons&Pros between the two options you mentioned?

By making my first Wedding Video, I'm learning PrePro Cs5, and the final step alows me to learn using En for DVD. I'm going to give it to my friend as a gift by Christmas. So I must  find a shortcut to achieve this deadline without a "Big Suprise" on the output.

This will be a about 1 hour long footage, maybe exportation of the sequeces is simple way for me?

Thanks

ps: I uploaded some of the video on Vimeo.com. you may take a look : )

log-in: mengnanzhang at hotmail dot com

pwd: mariage

• 7. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As for pros & cons, here is about all I can think of:

• ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) is quick, and easy, though there will be some "learning curve," but the Help files will fill you in. This saves an Export, or two.
                      • Muxed MPEG files can be problematic in Encore, hence the suggestion to go the elemental/elementary streams route with two Exports. Con - you need to do two Exports, but the Audio, especially, will be fairly quick. If you go this route, do not check the Recompress checkbox.
                      • Doing the MPEG-2, even with the elemental/elementary streams will likely require that you do bit-budgeting, unless the Duration of your Timeline/Sequence is relatively short. This will allow you more direct control, but calculating the file size, and the resultant Bit-Rate can be a bit complicated, if you have not done it before. There are plenty of tutorials on the Internet. Letting En do the Transcode on Automatic seldom has any negatives, as it does a really good job.
                      • DV-AVI elemental/elementary stream route - only con is the Exporting of both the Audio & Video.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are going from HD(V) to dvd you should not use DV-avi but instead go straight to mpeg2-dvd.

This extra transcoding will give you loss of quality.

• 9. Re: Export_Format_DVD_for Encore cs5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

So you are saying that down-rezzing from HD MPEG-2 to SD MPEG-2 will be better than HD MPEG-2 to DV-AVI (with Recompress unchecked) to SD MPEG-2, caeteris paribus? I'd be curious to see the differences. While DV-AVI has slight compression, I really wonder if anyone could tell the difference with the two workflows. I rather kind of doubt it, but could be wrong. I think that the biggest step will be the down-rezzing from HD to SD.

Hunt