9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 7:14 AM by Janik_dk

Workflow - AVCHD - Arrange in AE - Transcoding?

Janik_dk

Hi,

I've been reading these forums for hours - so I am very sorry if my question has already been asked before.

I plan to record with my Panasonic camcorder and edit the MTS' in Premier.

When all the clips have been careful edited and cutted I want to arrange my movie inside After Effects.

So..  what to do?

Transcode my unedited MTS' to DVCPRO-HD with panasonic's tool? (before starting the editing).

Transcode my edited MTS' from Premier to animation Quicktime with alpha?

Transcode my edited MTS' from Premier to Mpeg2 ?
      Or..?

Premier CS5 and After Effects CS5.

Hope someone can clear this out for me.

Thanks a lot

• 1. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Arrange in AE - Transcoding?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I want to arrange my movie inside After Effects.

What exactly does that mean?

• 2. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Arrange in AE - Transcoding?
            shooternz Level 6

Means he is going to do the musical arrangement in AEFX.

Sorry.

• 3. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Arrange in AE - Transcoding?
              Janik_dk Level 1

Hi,

No - I mean i am going to set my clips together inside after effects.. New to Video editing - so i don't know the word. The right word is "Compositing" ?

It has NOTHING to do with musical arrangements.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Arrange in AE - Transcoding?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

There is no need to transcode anything; AE will use the AVCHD MTS files natively.

If you have the Production Premium bundle, make a copy of your sequence for safekeeping/backup, and then select everything in the original, right-click, and select "Replace with After Effects composition." After Effects will open with a new project and comp and import all of your media, and recreate your sequence. Any effects you apply in AE will be sent live to the AE comp that replaced your edit in Premiere.

If you only have the two application and not the bundle, you can import your Premiere Pro project into AE; just go to File > Import > Adobe Premiere Pro Project and select your project file. You can choose the sequences you want to import. Again, do your effects, and then you can render out a finished movie file that you can reimport into Premiere for final editing and export.

• 5. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Edit in AE - Transcoding?
                  Janik_dk Level 1

Colin Brougham:

That was a really helpful reply!
                  I have the whole suite - so working with dynamic link is no problem.

So...  First I cut my MTS sequences inside Premier Pro and when i am done I use dynamic link to "Replace with After Effects composition" then i export back to Premier Pro  for final encording and editing.

This suggest that I edit my sequences together inside Premier Pro and only use After Effects for post edititng. I know that is what most people do, but i'm  a lot more familiar with After Effects than Premier Pro - that is why i want to set my movie clips together inside AE.

My final output is 1280 x 720, but the clips are recorded at 1080 x 1920 - so i was thinking about doing this:

Import my 1080p MTS' to premier pro - do all the cutting and export them as 720p quicktime animation for editing inside After Effects.

Thanks for your help!

• 6. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Edit in AE - Transcoding?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

then i export back to Premier Pro  for final encording and editing.

No need to "export back" to PPro; Dynamic Link is a "live" connection, so anything you do in AE will be immediately reflected by the AE comp item back in Premiere. Try it with a test sequence, and you'll see what I mean.

This suggest that I edit my sequences together inside Premier Pro and only use After Effects for post edititng. I know that is what most people do, but i'm  a lot more familiar with After Effects than Premier Pro - that is why i want to set my movie clips together inside AE.

Correct; do your editing in Premiere Pro. After all, that's what it's there for. You'll find it much easier to do the layout of your sequence in PPro instead of AE. Use AE for doing your final effects and compositing; you can do some minor editing in AE (as you are probably aware), but to nowhere near the capability and flexibility of PPro.

My final output is 1280 x 720, but the clips are recorded at 1080 x 1920 - so i was thinking about doing this:

Import my 1080p MTS' to premier pro - do all the cutting and export them as 720p quicktime animation for editing inside After Effects.

I'd keep everything at 1920x1080; edit in a Premiere Pro sequence at that resolution, and do your AE work in a comp at the same size. Then, you can export your final finished video to 1280x720; this gives you the flexibility of easily doing a 1080 export if you ever need to.

• 7. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Edit in AE - Transcoding?
                      Janik_dk Level 1

Thanks Colin!

You have been very helpful and given me some insight of what is possible with Dynamic link. Seems like I have to use Premier Pro more

Good pointe about the resolution - keeping it at maximum until final output. (the 1080p files is just a bit heavy to work on inside AE.. - and my computer is pretty decent with 12 GB ram i7 920 CPU and GTS 285 GPU..)

Final question:

I have a hard time understanding these "project presets" inside Premier Pro. When I need to make a new project I need to specify a format.

So far i have selected AVCHD 1080i 1080 x 1920 - thats what my camera record in - but should i use that format inside premier pro also?

The editing is pretty choppy (in premier) after just adding a simple hue effect inside After Effects.

• 8. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Edit in AE - Transcoding?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

So far i have selected AVCHD 1080i 1080 x 1920 - thats what my camera record in - but should i use that format inside premier pro also?

The editing is pretty choppy (in premier) after just adding a simple hue effect inside After Effects.

Yes, you typically want to match your sequence settings to the format of your footage. You can also "cheat" simply by dragging one of your clips to the New Item icon at the bottom of the Project Panel; this will automatically create a sequence that matches your footage, with no guesswork.

And yes: once you start adding effects to your footage in AE, playback is going to suffer when you Dynamic Link those comps to Premiere. Think about it: you don't get realtime playback in AE after you start manipulating a clip (unless you do a RAM preview), and since Premiere is using the AE engine at that point, you're not going to get realtime playback there, either. That's why I suggest doing all of your editing in Premiere first, and then do your AE work once you know that your edit is the way you want it.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Workflow - AVCHD - Edit in AE - Transcoding?
                          Janik_dk Level 1

I feel so much wiser about the whole process now.

Thanks a lot Colin