6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 2:58 PM by dan_public2

Video Editing Monitor

dan_public2 Level 1

Hi.   My old Viewsonic IPS panel monitor is starting to crap out.   This has happened before with my other monitors and I know it's just a matter of time before it goes belly-up.   So...

I'm looking for a good quality IPS panel monitor for video and photo editing.   I currently have a two monitor system, with the other one being a a Samsung 2443bwt.    It's a decent monitor overall, but total crap for video editing.   Roughly my preferences are:

• IPS Panel
      • 24 - 27"
      • Optimized for sharpness and color fidelity
      • Since I don't play games, response time is NOT a requirement.
      • Tilt, swivel, and height adjustment
      • $1,500 or less.   

I did a search but didn't see enough recent information.   Any suggestions? 

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

• 1. Re: Video Editing Monitor
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I told my buddy to get this for the new system I'm building for him, and he just got it today; he called me every 15 minutes to gloat:

Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

It should meet most of your requirements, and maybe a few more (i.e. it has video inputs like component). He got it from the "wesellforless" reseller for less than $1000.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video Editing Monitor
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Video Editing Monitor
              dan_public2 Level 1

Colin,

Hi.   Thanks for posting this.    This looks like a great monitor, but two things concern me a bit.  First, it appears to have an anti-glare coating that makes text a bit fuzzy.  Second, the ultra-high resolution apparently makes text very small.    While I'm not buying it as a word processing monitor, I'd like it to be sharp.   This may not be a deal-killer, but it does give me pause.

Thanks,

Dan.

• 4. Re: Video Editing Monitor
                dan_public2 Level 1

Jim,

Hi.    I did a search for this one, but couldn't find much in the way of reviews except for this: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/965446.  They reference this post about the LMD-2050, which was a very harsh review of the 2050: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/867993. However they seemed to like the LMD-2450, but that seems to be discontinued.     Hmmm...

Thanks for responding though.

Regards,

Dan.

• 5. Re: Video Editing Monitor
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  First, it appears to have an anti-glare coating that makes text a bit fuzzy.  Second, the ultra-high resolution apparently makes text very small.

On your first point, that could very well be; I haven't seen it in person yet. I don't think there will be any sharpness issues, though--I mean, this isn't a $179 special from Wally-World

On the second point, you can override that a bit with your OS settings; I know Windows, at least, has text scaling parameters in the display settings. You can also change the size of most window elements, as well. I think the other thing to consider is that, if you're already using a 24" monitor running at 1920x1200, going to a 27" monitor running at 2560x1440 is not going to perceptually be that different. In other words, the display needs more pixels in the higher resolution display in order to prevent things from looking big and horsey.

A similarly sized and specced monitor (though minus the additional inputs) that would probably eat the Dell's lunch would be the NEC PA271w-bk 27-Inch 2560 x 1440. Pretty good price on it right now, but I think that the Dell would perform admirably and save you a few pennies--the NEC (at least at the sale price) is still within your budget. Of course, if the super-high resolution is an issue, you're probably not going to find much joy in the NEC, either

You can find larger monitors (24"+) in lower resolutions (usually 1920x1200 or 1920x1080), but on something like a 27" screen, those resolutions would make things look like Duplo blocks Unfortunately, monitors are a pretty subject thing, and specs don't mean much at the end of the day; nor do glowing reviews. Since it's your primary interface with the weakest part of your sensory system, you don't want to mess around

Good luck in your hunt!

• 6. Re: Video Editing Monitor
                    dan_public2 Level 1

Colin,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  That's a good point about the size of the text.  It turns out that I have my current system set at 110% and had forgotten about it. 

Regarding sharpness, I'm gunshy about this issue   About 18 months ago, I bought and an HP LP2475W IPS monitor.   It got very good reviews, but I found that the text was fuzzy and gave me eyestrain after a couple hours of using it.   I sent it back and struggled along with what I had.  I agree wholeheartedly about monitors - it's a very personal.

The NEC PA271w looks like a good option.   At $1,240 it's a bit pricey, but dooable.   My only concern would be the lack of and HDMI port.   While my new camera (Panasonic GH2) has an HDMI port, I'm not sure if I'll ever use it except to be attached to an HDMI input recording device.  My video card (EVGA GTX 470) has a mini-HDMI port.   Would I see a significant difference in performance or quality using an HDMI port vs a DVI port?

One addition question...

What do you think of Spyder3 display calibration system?   Any experience?  Better alternatives available?

Thanks and regards,

Dan.