6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 11:10 AM by brit64000

Why in God's name does reader have to be updated every other day?

stoptheupdates

How long have you been writing this software for windows? Come on, it not like its a video game or even an OS (which is update only slightly more often than reader)?

And why does Adobe need to dig its claws into my OS so deeply. Just read a pdf and show it to me. No other functions are required or asked for. If this keeps up I'l need to move to FoxIt or some other compatible and lightweight reader that just reads pdfs and leaves out the insidious, in your registry with both feet, constant services running software to someone else.

• 1. Re: Why in God's name does reader have to be updated every other day?
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Reader X doesn't update every day.

• 2. Re: Why in God's name does reader have to be updated every other day?
            brit64000

I am having the same problem with adobe reader. The reader is in my taskbar and constantly asks to be updated. How can I stop this or remove the icon from my task bar without uninstalling the reader program?

• 3. Re: Why in God's name does reader have to be updated every other day?
              brit64000 Level 1

I am having the same problem with adobe reader. The reader is in my taskbar and constantly asks to be updated. How can I stop this or remove the icon from my task bar without uninstalling the reader program?

• 4. Re: Why in God's name does reader have to be updated every other day?
                pwillener Level 8

brit64000 wrote:

How can I stop this ...

Either let the update proceed, or disable update notifications.

If you need more help, please specify your operating system & version, as well as your Adobe Reader version.

• 5. Re: Why in God's name does reader have to be updated every other day?
                  brit64000 Level 1

OS XP

AR 9.3.2

regardless of whether I allow updates to proceed or not, AR repeatedy daily alerted me to update. I have now uninstalled AR 9.3.2 and d/l and installed AR X. I no longer have an AR icon in my taskbar, but do have an ARX icon on my desktop. I would prefer to not have yet another icon on my desktop - as AR X is now listed in my programs folder, perhaps I can delete the icon on my desktop - please advise.

In addition whenever I want to open a PDF file, I am obliged to first open the reader then from the file drop-down menu open my desired PDF file. If I try to avoid this step and open a PDF file directly by clicking on the file , I get my microsoft picture manager which opens with an image of a PDF icon. From within this picture manager displaying a static image of a PDF icon, it is not possible to do anything. I simply close the picture manager and revert to opening the Adobe reader and going through the motion of the drop-down menu from file etc. This is an annoying multiple step process that would be desirable to avoid. Can you advise me on this point, please?

• 6. Re: Why in God's name does reader have to be updated every other day?
                    brit64000 Level 1

OS XP

AR 9.3.2

regardless of whether I allow updates to proceed or not, AR repeatedy daily alerted me to update. I have now uninstalled AR 9.3.2 and d/l and installed AR X. I no longer have an AR icon in my taskbar, but do have an ARX icon on my desktop. I would prefer to not have yet another icon on my desktop - as AR X is now listed in my programs folder, perhaps I can delete the icon on my desktop - please advise.

In addition whenever I want to open a PDF file, I am obliged to first open the reader then from the file drop-down menu open my desired PDF file. If I try to avoid this step and open a PDF file directly by clicking on the file , I get my microsoft picture manager which opens with an image of a PDF icon. From within this picture manager displaying a static image of a PDF icon, it is not possible to do anything. I simply close the picture manager and revert to opening the Adobe reader and going through the motion of the drop-down menu from file etc. This is an annoying multiple step process that would be desirable to avoid. Can you advise me on this point, please?