3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 8:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Camera compatibility

N9JCR Level 2

I just acquired a second Canon HV40 and used them to record a school play from two angles.  When loading the video into the computer (DV - firewire) I've noticed a couple points where it seems to skip for a second or so - quite obvious in the captured video.  Tried a couple times and always fails in the same spot on the tape.  I tried using the other camera and it works perfectly.

What seems to be happening is that one camera doesn't play tapes that were recorded on another camera as well.  I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or perhaps my new camera is slightly out of adjustment somehow and I need to send it back.   Never had that problem on my twin PV-GS320's.  Recording is HDV, and letting the camera downsample to DV.

Thanks!

Bob

• 1. Re: Camera compatibility
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

First question: are these new tapes, or have they been used before?

As for compatibility between cameras, there can be differences, but usually between the same make/model, not so much, or very often. Still, there could be differences, that might show up with dropped frames.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Camera compatibility
            N9JCR Level 2

They are new tapes, Sony's in this case.  I've had good luck with Maxell's previously but Sam's Club stopped carrying them and these are what I could find locally in a hurry so that is another change - I ran out about the same time I got the second camera.  Both are just 'plain old tapes', not the super premium or anything special.  In fact I can't even find a part # on them.

Thanks Hunt!

Bob

• 3. Re: Camera compatibility
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Thanks for that - one thought down.

Sony tapes get very high marks. They seem to be slightly more abrasive, than some other brands, but that has one positive aspect - they clean the heads a bit. Over many 100's, or perhaps 1000's, there might be some premature (can I say that, if it's 1000's?) head wear. Some users will run a Sony through about every 10 tapes, just for that "cleaning," even if they shoot with another brand.

Perhaps it's a transport issue with the cameras? Do tapes from your older camera display similar issues, when captured from the other camera?

Just thinking aloud here, but good luck,

Hunt