8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 3:49 AM by cachefinder

.swf imported in Flash Catalyst shows only the Flash Shockwave icon

eaefaw

I have scoured the FC forums and watched all of the Adobe TV episodes

on importing .swf files into Flash Catalyst but I am still faced with the following problem.

I have a basic animated .swf file that I created in Flash CS5.  I am trying to import that .swf file into a Flash Catalyst project but when I do I only see the blue border around the asset when I click it in the layers panel.  In the top left corner is a small round Flash Icon ( I believe it is the Flash Shockwave version - Blueish Gray). Nothing shows when I "Run" the project nor when I added the .swf file in the local folder from where Flash Catalyst runs the project.

I tried re-publishing the original Flash file in different version of Flash player, but to no avail.  Not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if I have imported incorrectly or what.

Even though I cannot see the .swf file imported into Flash Catalyst, I still tried to add an interaction to play on Application Start, but nothing there either.

At a loss and looking for some direction.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers!

• 1. Re: .swf imported in Flash Catalyst shows only the Flash Shockwave icon
          cachefinder Level 1

In that case you should read the first few threads on this very forum, which answer your questions

It's to do whith where the sfw is on your server, and the OTHER files in the deploy to web folder, they all need to be accessable to the project.

• 2. Re: .swf imported in Flash Catalyst shows only the Flash Shockwave icon
            cachefinder Level 1

Also, look at the address in the local hosting folder: the swf will not be there but it needs to be in the right place.  I have had troubles doing this because WinDOZE is ownership lame, but on the server everything works fine, and I have sence used an extension/reg-key: not sure if that will be a problem for you, and is more PC related than Catalyst.

• 3. Re: .swf imported in Flash Catalyst shows only the Flash Shockwave icon
              eaefaw Level 1

Cache,

Thanks for your replies. I have put the .swf file in the same "local" directory as the main.html for the FC Project I am working on and no luck locally. However, does the .swf file have to be in the local directory of the FC project prior to it being imported into FC for it to work locally?

Also, when I was watching a video tutorial about inserting .swf files into FC, the graphics/content of the .swf that was inserted could be seen in the design view of FC. My imported .swf only shows a small, round flash icon in the corner and nothing else.  This doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't one be able to see the graphics/content of the imported .swf so that  it can be properly placed in the design? That is how it was in the video tutorial. If this is also due to the location of the imported .swf then Adobe has not made that clear in anything I have read or seen.

Eric Efaw

Owner | Designer

Websmith Interactive

eefaw@websmithinteractive.com

www.websmithinteractive.com

• 4. Re: .swf imported in Flash Catalyst shows only the Flash Shockwave icon
                cachefinder Level 1

Erik -

It's a  pleasure to help someone!  I just got through this as you can see.  Only problem is I just hacked it with no precision, so for example I moved a lot of files to the server to make them accessable and then it played.  But near as I can tell, I'll tell you the story.

There are two things going on.  When you play it locally it's different from when you play it on the web. You are correct, you should see the first frame of the swf  in your animation.  To get it to play (assuming it is set to play)you  then have to control+enter to preview (on windows). The assests are laid out locally in the file structure displayed in the url bar.  no?

Part of it is that there may be several things going on here... All I can do is tell you all the numerous problems I had, made worse because I had 3 different work-stations...

I had problems when I had several swfs floating around in the  library and I think similar names: Eventually I just did a clean export  of the swf (the first one was from Flash... 3?  4?  and Catalyst is  cs5... )  and such to just do the work-flow in one motion.  I had too  many work-stations going on. So that part I finally did cleanly, and when that was settled, I could handle the file issues.

The swf: It does have to be in the same folder, and not in a sub-folder.  Also, all the contents from DEPLOY TO WEB - just drag it into your site folder defined by dreamweaver or whatever and put it on the server at the same level, NO russian dolls (no file folders within folders).  With Dreamweaver, when you upload a swf, you select the MAIN file and supposedly DW pulls files - it does, but not all of them, such as supporting swfs.

I would have thought that DW would do it correctly automatically : It seems to want to: but there are still kinks.

If you're like me, you recognize that catalyst is a powerful creative stage, but this stuff is just annoying and really easier just man-handled with precision once and forgotten about lol.

I heard also some grumbling on swfs that are just too huge or have aspects that don't import well, but it doesnt' sound like a problem in this case. 

Do update me  - I'm around this weekend, would love to see you succeed on this.

Cache,

Thanks for your replies. I have put the .swf file in the  same "local" directory as the main.html for the FC Project I am working  on and no luck locally. However, does the .swf file have to be in the  local directory of the FC project prior to it being imported into FC for  it to work locally?

Also, when I was watching a video  tutorial about inserting .swf files into FC, the graphics/content of the  .swf that was inserted could be seen in the design view of FC. My  imported .swf only shows a small, round flash icon in the corner and  nothing else.  This doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't one be able to  see the graphics/content of the imported .swf so that  it can be  properly placed in the design? That is how it was in the video tutorial.  If this is also due to the location of the imported .swf then Adobe has  not made that clear in anything I have read or seen.

• 5. Re: .swf imported in Flash Catalyst shows only the Flash Shockwave icon
                  eaefaw Level 1

Cache,

Your help is really appreciated. Especially since I got it working this morning.  SCORE!

I think my problem was that the .swf file was not published using ActionScript 3.0.  Yes, I am still stuck on AS 2.0.  I read in the help documents for FC and found the following:

"Only SWF content written in ActionScript 3.0 and published using Adobe Flash Professional is controllable in Flash Catalyst"

I was not aware of this and should have found this before doing a post on the forums.

So I went back into Flash and republished in AS 3.0.  But keeping in mind your suggestions, I published directly to the c:/users/mypcname/Application Data/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/workspace/Project#/bin-debug folder which was created when I originally did "Run Project" from FC.  I went back to FC, deleted the old .swf file that I originally imported (and which was not visible), did a file/Import SWF file and selected the .swf in the location indicated above and now my graphic/content was visible in FC stage.  No more flash logo.

I deselected everything on the stage, and then added the On Application Start "Play Action Sequence" interaction.

Went down to the Timelines panel, Clicked on the Action Sequences option and did an Add Action and selected Play SWF.

Now that everything seemed to be complete, I did a "Run Project" again, and when it opened in my browser, it did not show the newly imported .swf file.  WTF!

I am running a local server on my workstation for website development, so I went to file>Publish SWF/AIR and then pointed my Output Directory to a file location in the website folder on my localhost. When I navigated to my website on my local server, there was my exported FC file with my imported .swf working perfectly.

I know that was a bit long winded, but I wanted to be sure and provide as much detail as possible for anyone else who is experiencing similar problems as I did.

Cache, thanks again for your support and for keeping me confident as I worked through this issue.

Regards,

Eric Efaw - Owner | Designer

Websmith Interactive

- eefaw@websmithinteractive.com

- www.websmithinteractive.com

• 6. Somehow I'm so proud!
                    cachefinder Level 1

Hey Dude!

GREAT!

It's exactly the same as myself: there were several problems and they all had to be solved, but solving one of the issues over and over again is... as they say... insanity...

Very happy to read your reply.

Eventually this should be a sticky!  Well written.

Enjoy, Cheers, Kampai!

• 7. Re: .swf imported in Flash Catalyst shows only the Flash Shockwave icon
                      eaefaw Level 1

Cache,

Here I am again.  Seems like I take one step forward and two steps backwards with this project. I have used FC for other projects before and have never had this much difficulty.  I guess this being my first time importing media, I am feeling the pain.

In my project i have one .flv, one .f4v and one.swf among other image assets from a .psd file. Everything now works perfectly on my local view, but on the web server, everything works as it should except for the.flv and.f4v files. They do not play/show at all.

I followed the same steps to ensure that everything is in the bin-debug folder of my "run project"  location prior to publishing to .swf. I have even put copies of the .flv and .f4v in the same folder as the main.swf (as well as in the assets folder) all in the deploy-to-web, all posted to the web server. Basically I saturated the deploy to web folder with the files in hopes that I would eventually have them in the right location as I feel pretty certain that file location is the problem.

I even tried taking the contents of the deploy folder (not the Folder itself) and put them in the root of my website, reinserted the main .swf from it's new location but that was a bust. Plus, all those files strewn around my root directory looked quite the mess.

For the life of me, I do not know why something that is supposed to ease the design of interactive content can be so confusing. Usually, the step with the least hassle is the FTP to the web server after you have racked your brains testing and getting everything perfect on  the localhost. But not with FC, the real problems happen after the designing/development is complete. It is typically the reverse.

Okay, enough of my ranting! I hope someone can provide some more insight on my predicament. The high of solving my first issue has been overshadowed by this new problem.

Eric Efaw

Owner | Designer

Websmith Interactive

eefaw@websmithinteractive.com

www.websmithinteractive.com

• 8. lol I feel ya...
                        cachefinder Level 1

1) I feel your pain

2) I did the same thing you did - crap-flooding with ftp.  Seemed like the right idea at the time.

The "not-quiet" bottom line from Adobe is that it's still beta - but very frustrating if you are working as a professional using it!

If you want me to ef around with any thing like file-wise I can ftp to my testing server if you want and we can de-bug: I really don't mind the "opportunity" but also not everyone is comfortable with that.

I would start with one asset and move from there.  I assume the interactions are defined, and all that bc you have the swf working.

I think it's good news that "Everything now works perfectly on my local view, but on the web server, everything works as it should except for the.flv and.f4v files"

I also assume that the file is clean now: all the pieces are in actionScript 3.0 etc.

I have this thought about frame rates and such but to be honest, it's pretty new to me, too.  Basically I think the frame rates should be the same, too, from various files, so there are fewer conflicts.  Basic things like that - and honestly I'm not sure if frame rate would matter!  I just know that in flash libraries things behave like that and so why not with Catalyst.

My previous project was perfect because it was 'formal' in a sense: very isolated issues for a first try, and you've moved beyond me.  But I would love to 'dominate' this issue and work with confidence because I like the workflow permutations between the products, and I think Catalyst is a great direction. So if you solve it don't leave me hanging, and if you want to send me a zip or whatever I'll be happy enough!  I'll send you a PM this morning.