2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 6:19 PM by springishere

which tool to use for desktop database app (.exe), flash or flex?

springishere

I have spend some time trying to compare the tools, but still something not clear.

The final app should be an .EXE file. There's no web access needed, only local data base access.

What I currently know is that flash cs5 allows to export a projector file (.exe), but not sure about it has database access, and for flex desktop application, it all AIR based so final file is not .exe.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: which tool to use for desktop database app (.exe), flash or flex?
          miguel8312 Level 3

Your question is not very clear... if  I look at the header of your request you are asking for database tool? if thats the case their are a ton of them sql developer, toad, etc... if you are looking for an exe file out of flex your sadly mistaken. flex produces a swf file html file and a couple of other java files... then you slap those on the server and browse to the html page.

hope that helps.

Miguel

• 2. Re: which tool to use for desktop database app (.exe), flash or flex?
            springishere Level 1

Thanks for the reply. The tool I try to choose from are flash cs5, or flex (flex builder for flex3  or flash builder for flex4).

If flash cs5 supports sqlite then I will use flash cs5, since I think with flash cs5 I can export final work as .exe.

Otherwise, in flex desktop application (as versus web app) there's AIR which has embedded sqlite, so database access is not a problem, but I don't like the fact that AIR outputs final work as .air (is it still the case now?). I want the final work to be .exe because the final user may not have the AIR installed.

From some online search it seems that there are couple 3rd party tools that generates .exe from .air and also package it into installable file. I am not sure which one is the way to go, and if there's Adobe way of doing it.