6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2010 10:05 AM by Noel Carboni

Camera Raw shrinks my 23MB cr2 file to a 7MB jpg...

kcaldarella@yahoo

I am trying a demo version of Photoshop CS5 and I like it so far.  I am mainly using Bridge to edit my .cr2 photos and convert them to .jpg files.  I am noticing that my .cr2 files start out around 23mb (I have a Canon 7D) and after tweaking color, sharpness, etc - not cropping - the files saves as a 6-8mb .jpg file.  When I Save Image, I have Quality cranked up to Maximum (10).  Am I missing something?  Does this program really compress my file 60%?  Any advice on how to save a larger jpg would be appreciated...

• 1. Re: Camera Raw shrinks my 23MB cr2 file to a 7MB jpg...
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

So, what exactly are you expecting? JPEG is a lossy format...it compresses your image considerably–even as a Q 10.

CR2 is a lossless compression and as a result not nearly as small. If you want to maintain the full bit depth and color to your image you should consider TIFF (which of course will be larger than your CR2 files).

• 2. Re: Camera Raw shrinks my 23MB cr2 file to a 7MB jpg...
            Noel Carboni Level 7

Why TIFF and not .PSD, Jeff?

If you want to save a compressed edited file as a future master from which to derive other work, consider saving as a Photoshop native format .PSD file at 16 bits/channel color depth.  The .PSD format has lossless compression, and certainly a lot of apps know how to open .PSD files.

You really proabably don't want to save a "developed" copy as a JPEG for use as input for further editing.

I have to ask, why save as another format at all?  Camera Raw will open your file again with the same parameters as last time (it remembers them individually for each image).  Why not just start afresh from your .CR2 file when you want to do further work?  That's what I do.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Camera Raw shrinks my 23MB cr2 file to a 7MB jpg...
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

Why TIFF and not .PSD, Jeff?

Because TIFF is a publicly documented file format unlike PDS which is proprietary. Same reason I use DNG to archive my raw originals...

PSD is no longer the "native" file format for Photoshop...PSD is the native raster file format for the Creative Suite. Photoshop's only native file format is now PSB (large document file format). More applications will support TIFF files than PSD files and TIFF can save everything a PSD can save and work just as well in InDesign (with minor limitations).

TIFF saved with zip compression is about the smallest file size you can get short of lossy compression. PSD uses run length encoding for compression which isn't quite as good as zip. Note, you can save a bit of file size by saving a PSD without the compatibility composite in the file (it's on by default) but many apps can't read a PSD without the composite file (such as Lightroom).

Noel Carboni wrote:

I have to ask, why save as another format at all?

I use 16 bit TIFF files (in ProPhoto RGB) as my archive RGB file after retouching (which ACR really can't do to a large extent) and soft proofing. So, two files; DNG raw final image and processed (and retouched) TIFF file for selected hero images (not everything I do goes to TIFF).

• 4. Re: Camera Raw shrinks my 23MB cr2 file to a 7MB jpg...
                kcaldarella@yahoo.com

I am pretty new at this, and I just want to upload files to snaphish, winkflash, etc to enlarge and make posters.  I just wanted to know if a 60% reduction in size is correct when converting the file from cr2 to jpg is correct.  I went to Africa on safari and I will only tweak my photos once and then load them on snapfish to share with friends, and also order posters / canvasses for my office... I just fugured if I could get a larger file, the enlargement would be crisper.

I don't think I can upload my shots to any website for development in cr2 format, and I suppose even if I did, the changes I made wont show because I did them in Adobe ( unless I save them in .psd - but again I don't think I can upload those files to get developed anywhere either...)

Thanks for your input.

Tony

• 5. Re: Camera Raw shrinks my 23MB cr2 file to a 7MB jpg...
                  Vit Novak Level 3

You can also use quality 11 or 12 if you think 10 is not enough (you must write it manually into edit box)

• 6. Re: Camera Raw shrinks my 23MB cr2 file to a 7MB jpg...
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Yes, it is quite normal for JPEG files to be much smaller than the raw files from which they were developed.

You get to choose the size, both by setting the pixel dimensions, and also by setting the JPEG compression quality number, as was mentioned above.  For most web sharing, unless you're really trying to show small details only visible at the out-of-camera image size, usually you can downsize your images (e.g., to 1200 x 800 pixels).  Then the JPEG files can be pretty small and quick for you to upload (and for people to download).  Posting at a smaller size also tends to discourage others from violating your copyright and using your images without permission.

-Noel