7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 10:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Adding Music to Slide Show

Anna M Gallishaw

I would like to add music to a slide show but I am unable to get it into the music catalog.  Help.  Anybody!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adding Music to Slide Show
          nealeh Level 5

What version of PRE do you have (I'll assume '9')? By 'music catalog' do you mean the Organizer?

You can add music to the Organizer by dragging the file into the Organizer's main window or using File> Get photos and Videos> From Files and Folders. Then navigate to your music clip.

You can also drag it directly into your Project using the Organizer> Project pane in the Tasks Window. If you do it this way it does not get added to the Organizer application.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Adding Music to Slide Show
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm also not sure what you mean by "I'm unable to get it into the music catalog."

• 3. Re: Adding Music to Slide Show
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Anna,

I believe that Neale has answered your question. If you are planning on using an MP3 source file, if you have any issues using it in PrE, then the easy fix is to convert it to PCM/WAV, which WILL work in PrE. The great, free audio-editing program, Audacity, can easily do that for you. You just launch Audacity, Open your MP3 file in it, and then Save_As a WAV 48KHz 16-bit file. In PrE, just go to Get Media, and navigate to where you Saved that file. It will have a .WAV extension, and will Import easily into PrE. Give it a moment to Conform, and you are good to go.

Many MP3's work fine, but not all. When they do not, just convert to PCM/WAV.

BTW - Audacity is great for most audio editing too, and did I mention that it's FREE?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if Neale, I and Steve missed something, just give us a bit more info, and we'll get right back to you.

• 4. Re: Adding Music to Slide Show
                Anna M Gallishaw Level 1

Everyone,

Thanks for the input.  I was actually able to convert the music to a WAV format in my Windows Media Player program.  I copied it then ripped it using that program which converts it to the WAV and Viola!

Thanks Again,

Anna

P.S.  The program I am using is PrE9.

• 5. Re: Adding Music to Slide Show
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Anna,

Great news, and thank you for reporting your success.

Some MP3 (and other formats) will work - sometimes, but not always. Many reasons, and they are peculiar to the individual files in many cases. When in doubt, just convert. For all MP3's, I do not bother Importing, and just convert them all. That always works 100% for me.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adding Music to Slide Show
                    Anna M Gallishaw Level 1

Bill,

I am having a great time creating slide shows and turning them into DVDs.  Just to put a bit more information out there.  I found a little blurb about why the music doesn't always work in an MP3 format or just moving it right from say iTunes.  When they are downloaded from an internet music site they are done so with all the album cover art information and whatnot, converting cleans that up and gives you just the music.  That was my understanding anyway.

Anna

• 7. Re: Adding Music to Slide Show
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Anna,

You are correct. One of the items, that can cause trouble, is the album art. There are other things that can be included too. Converting strips all that out, plus it puts the Audio into a form that PrE can use easily. That is why I recommended PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. That is as good as it gets. Conforming will take less time, and there will be little internal conversion to edit. For a bit of background, this ARTICLE might be useful.

While PrE can work with a lot of different formats/CODEC's, there are some that are better, and easier to use. One prime example of this is the AV format, WMV. PrE can Import most WMV's, but there are some trade-offs, like heavy processing overhead on the system. Here again, conversion to DV-AVI, or other "native" format/CODEC, will greatly improve the editing experience. Just because a program CAN work with certain files, does not mean that those files are the ideal. Unfortunately, this is a concept too often lost on some folk. When a problem arises, or when in doubt - just convert.

When you get around to editing video, this ARTICLE and this ARTICLE, might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt