9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 6:49 AM by Georges.

How to change the "Save in" folder location ?

Georges.

Hello, first time on the forum, and the reason for my weird username is because it was hard to find an available one. By the way how can we change the username or delete it and start over ?

My real question is the following:

How to change the location of the "save in" folder in Premiere Elements 9 permanently, so we don't have to change it again everytime we export a new video to the computer ?

Thanks !

• 1. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
          nealeh Level 5

PRE remembers the previous folder that you used so you only need to set it once. You might wish to store the source audio/video in a common folder for use in multiple projects, but for the files created by PRE create a folder for each project. It makes clean-up much easier when finished.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Neale. As I Export/Share to elemental streams, i.e. one Audio-only and one Video-only file for authoring to DVD, I always create a "Finished AVIs" and a "Finished AC3s" folder under the Project's folder hierarchy. Then, when I go to Export/Share, I use Browse to navigate to the appropriate folder, under the Project's hierarchy, and use that.

For Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy, I want those to be in the root folder of my Project, unless I have a compelling reason to not do so.

Once one has navigated to an appropriate folder, then PrE will default to there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
              Georges. Level 1

Thank you for your reply, however the problem is it doesn't remember the last choice, everytime I open premiere I have to change it to the folder I want, it is in Documents by default.

• 4. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, maybe that is something that I have just never noticed. When starting a New Project, I always create a new folder structure for that Project. I will name the folder for that Project, and then create sub-folders, like Videos, Audio, Music, Titles, Stills, Finished AVI, Finished AC3, etc. In my case, I always have to navigate to that new Project folder, as it has never been used before. I will keep an eye out, to see where the default is. IIRC, it is normally the last Project's folder, but maybe I just hit Browse and do not pay close attention. I would never locate any of my Projects in My Documents, so I would have thought that I would have noticed that, but maybe not.

Good luck, and my eyes are now open for the behavior that you describe.

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Just launched PrE 4.0 on XP-Pro SP3 and went to New Project. The location was just as I suspected, E:\Premiere Projects\Test, as that is where the last PrE Project was located.

Not sure why you are always getting My Documents as the default. Could be different behavior in your later version of PrE, or maybe a Win7 thing?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
                    Georges. Level 1

Hello Bill, thank you for your replies and research, however you might have misunderstood my issue, I am talking about the save-in location , not the project, but what you mentioned made me think about changing the project location and save it to see if the save in would stick too, unfortunately it didnt work.

Must be something to personalize this, it is a simple feature, would be disappointing for PRE 9 not to have it.

Like I said initially, this is my first time on the forum, so my question is are there technicians (Adobe employees) that drop by to answer questions here ? otherwise is there a phone service at Adobe for these kinds of issues ?

Thanks !

• 7. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I misunderstood, and just tested one of my test Projects. It was created in my E:\Premiere Projects\Test folder, and Save_As defaults to that. Tried with some other Projects, and they default to the location that they were created in.

Again, I am on PrE 4.0 and XP-Pro SP3.

From time to time, an Adobe employee will stop by, but not that often. The vast majority of folk here will always be users, with not ties to Adobe. At the top of the forum page, there is a link to Contact Adobe.

Sorry for my confusion, but good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
                        nealeh Level 5

In the Elements Organizer you can set default folders for media imports. You can have different default folders for Files, Camera/Card Reader, Scanner. You access it from within the Organizer using Edit> Preferences.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: How to change the "Save in" folder location ?
                          Georges. Level 1

Update on that:

Called support, (Great service by the way, very professional, thanks Adobe !), unfortunately there is no feature to change the Save-in location permanentaly, it will always go back to My documents by default.

Previously wrote:

Thank you both for your efforts trying to answer this, I appreciate it.

Found what you mentioned nealeh, but there is nothing for video sharing location though.

Will try to call Adobe tomorrow.

Thanks again !