10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 9:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Freeze Frame

glaustin Level 1

Hi guys

I'm in Pr CS5 and I've imported a couple of AE compositions and I want to freeze the frame at the end of the last composition (or capture the image and play it as a still). I can't seem to find how to do that. The Help talks about opening time remapping on the effects control on the timeline panel but it doesn't seem to show on  my panel(or is it a case of can't see the wood for the trees?)

Any hints would be welcome,

Graham

• 1. Re: Freeze Frame
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You need to have the clip selected in the sequence for it's effects to show up in the ECP.

• 2. Re: Freeze Frame
            glaustin Level 1

Hi Jim

Thanks, but I've got the clip selected. All I can do in the timeline is add or delete or rename. I cannot see any time remapping.

• 3. Re: Freeze Frame
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Make sure that Show Keyframes is enabled for the track; you set this in the track header (where it says Video 1, Video 2, etc.). Click the track twirly so that the track expands.

You'll probably see something in the clips in that track now that says "Opacity:Opacity." If you click that, you'll get a list of all intrinsic and additional effects applied to the clip. One of those will be "Time Remapping:Speed."

When you select that, a white bar will appear along the top of the clip; as you add keyframes by Ctrl-clicking on the rubberband, split time remapping keyframes will appear in that white bar.

After you add a keyframe where you want your freeze frame to start, hold down Ctrl+Alt and drag the keyframe to the right; this will create Hold keyframes for the duration that you split the keyframes. If you need a longer or shorter duration, hold down Alt and drag; if you want to ramp into/out of the hold, just drag the keyframe and you'll create a speed ramp.

You might also find it easier to increase the height of your video track, so that you have more room to play with the keyframes.

• 4. Re: Freeze Frame
                cvid01 Level 4

A quick way is to selectt your clip in the sequence by clicking on it, then right click and you will see a reference to Frame Hold (about the middle of the list). Click on that and you can choose to frame hold with a few options.

• 5. Re: Freeze Frame
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

While Frame Hold works fine in most instances, should it not quite give you what you want, you can Export a still from the very last Frame in your Comp. Check that its PAR matches perfectly to that of your Project's Preset. I am not sure of all the possible formats, but TIFF would be my choice. * Then, Import that still frame TIFF into your Project, drag to the end of your Comp, and extend its Duration to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

* If I need to take that Exported still into PS for any reason, I just do a Save_As PSD, which will Import nicely into PrPro.

• 6. Re: Freeze Frame
                    glaustin Level 1

Thanks guys. I went for the  quick fix and Bill's export suggestion. I'll check out my settings once I've got this project on its way.

• 7. Re: Freeze Frame
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you have a workflow. Just be sure to check all attributes, like PAR. Going back in time, PrPro would Export with the exact same PAR, as the Sequence/Timeline. Then, about CS4, IIRC, Ann Bens found mis-matches, especially in PAR. Obviously, that would impact things, if the PAR changes between the last Frame of the Comp, and the still. Because I am still on an older version of PrPRo, it has not bitten me yet, but from Ann's post, I will know to check, when I go to CS5.

I do this a lot with my Encore Menus, where I want to do a Play First AV file from PrPro, and have it seamlessly meld into the still on the Motion Menu. A PAR mis-match would hose me, but now I know to check all attributes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Freeze Frame
                        glaustin Level 1

Thanks Bill.

I made a jpg but the image was a different dimension. I managed to upsize it without it showing a join when it moves over from the clip. Sorry for sounding dumb but can I modify the PAR numerically? I cannot seem to find a control and I re-sized the image by dragging the handles in the playback window.

I also tried the frame hold solution earlier but whatever box I ticked, it made the whole clip still from the first frame!

• 9. Re: Freeze Frame
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

Yes, you have full control over all size/pixel dimensions in Photoshop. Look under Image, then Pixel Aspect Ratio in the drop down. For pixel x pixel sizing, it would be Image>Image Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Freeze Frame
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

Yes, you have full control over all size/pixel dimensions in Photoshop. Look under Image, then Pixel Aspect Ratio in the drop down. For pixel x pixel sizing, it would be Image>Image Size.

I also like using PSD's, the native format of Photoshop, and refrain from doing any JPEG compression. That is just me, as I come from an advertising still background. I find JPEG to be the son of the spawn of the devil...

Good luck,

Hunt