22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 5:21 AM by glaustin

Jerky Playback

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

I seem to have a problem playing back AE compositions in Pr CS5. The playback is always jerky and the clip jumps, rather than plays back smoothly and encoding a 40 second clip takes 7 or 8 minutes. I've got playback set to full, with the Mercury playback engine on GPU acceerator. My Pr seetings are set to HDV and my AE settings are 1280 by 1024. I'm on Win7 64bit running a Quadro FX3800 the other OS details are below

This jerky movement makes it hard to edit properly. Anyone ay ideas?

Regards,

Graham

OS System

System Manufacturer  Gigabyte Technology

System Model EX58-UD4P

System Type   x64-based PC

Intel i7

Processor         EM64T Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2665 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date    Award Software International, Inc. F8, 11/05/2009

SMBIOS Version       2.4

HDDs              Samsung HD 103UJ x 3

Hardware Abstraction Layer  Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"

RAM               12GB

Page File Space           2.00 GB

• 1. Re: Jerky Playback
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Best guess is that your system just can't handle real time unrendered playback of the comps.  Render first for smooth playback.

• 2. Re: Jerky Playback
            glaustin Level 1

Thanks, Jim. I wondered that but they play back perfectly in AE.

• 3. Re: Jerky Playback
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

glaustin wrote:

Thanks, Jim. I wondered that but they play back perfectly in AE.

Perfectly with RAM preview or perfectly with spacebar playback in AE (prior to RAM previewing)?

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Jerky Playback
                glaustin Level 1

It was RAM preview!  As I was having problems with an Insufficient media warning, I rendered as AVI and reinserted. It's better but it starts jerking when it plays under titles. I know my system could be better but I should have thought a straight forward comp like this should have flowed smoothly...?

• 5. Re: Jerky Playback
                  glaustin Level 1

Anyone any further ideas how I can improve jerky playback in the playback window. I rendered the AE clips but it seems to be deteriorating. It's really frustrating.

• 6. Re: Jerky Playback
                    I rendered the AE clips

Did you export an intermediate file out of AE and import that into Pr to take the place of the AE comp in the Pr sequence, or did you just render the Pr sequence with the AE comp in it?  If you used an intermediate file, what format and codec?

If you rendered the Pr sequence, what color is the bar over the timeline: red, yellow or green?

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Jerky Playback
                      glaustin Level 1

Hi Jeff

Many thanks. I made intermediate files (4) using microsoft AVI to take the place of the AE comps (4) and imported them into Pr. The playback was a bit better but after a shortwhile they started jerking almost the same as the AE comps. When I play back in Pr, I just hit the play button on the playback screen; is there another way of viewing playback (I'm still a bit new to Pr)?

• 8. Re: Jerky Playback
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Two things.  First, try just rendering the DL'd comps in Premiere  rather than exporting a DI.

Second, do you absolutely NEED real time playback inside of Premiere Pro?  Seems like most of the critical work on these would be done inside of AE, where you get RAM preview.  Once the comps are done, normally you just move on with the editing in the Premiere sequence.

• 9. Re: Jerky Playback
                          glaustin Level 1

Hi Jim

Thanks; I take your point about do I really need realtime playback. I think I do need it because of applying and lining up titles and transitions. Also I like to know why things don't do what they oughta in case it's a simple settings problem or I've misunderstood how to do something.

• 10. Re: Jerky Playback

What codec?  If you used uncompressed Microsoft AVI, then you'll have large file sizes for your DI files.  If your hard disk is fragmented, pulling large amounts of data off the drive in a short period of time (which is what is required for uncompressed video, especially at HD frame sizes) will be very hard to do.

One possible solution in the above case is to make sure your hard disk is properly defragmented.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Jerky Playback
                              glaustin Level 1

Thanks Jeff

Yes, the four short 7sec comps are nearly 700mb in size. I thought the AE AVI setting is the same as the Pr export where Microsoft and uncompressed options exist. Should I have specified the DV codec when I ran the rendered (the codec is set to none)? Would that have allowed a smoother playback?

• 12. Re: Jerky Playback

HDV = High Definition

Weird AE comp size of 1280x1084 = within the range of High Definition frame sizes

DV = Standard Definition

So you have some decisions to make.  How do you plan on delivering your finished video?  Depending on that answer, you can decide where, when or if you need to scale your video.  If no scaling is needed, then the DV codec is a bad choice.  Regardless, for intermediate video files, I prefer either the Lagarith or UT lossless codecs.  You can export them at any frame size, any frame rate and either interlaced or progressive.  DV is restricted to frame sizes of 720x480 NTSC and 720x576 PAL.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Jerky Playback
                                  glaustin Level 1

Many thanks, Jeff.

I'm planning on using the final Pr video on the web. You mentioned the weird comp size. In all honesty, I thought I was using a good size. In your opinion, what is the best size to work with generally? Thanks also for your codec advice. Are the ones you mentioned additional to the ones in AE or Pr? I had a look but couldn't see those options in either programme.

• 14. Re: Jerky Playback
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The best size to work in is one that matches your source footage.  Scale it down upon export if need be.

And I still think you should just render the DL'd comps instead of rendering out DIs.

• 15. Re: Jerky Playback
                                      glaustin Level 1

Thanks, Jim

Is there a rule of thumb where there is no source footage? On this occasion I was importing and animating images. I'm still on a curve here and you mentioned DL and DI comps. I know the answer is going to be blindingly obvious but what are they acronyms for?

• 16. Re: Jerky Playback
                                        OzHP Level 1

Hello

I'm interested in this. I'm a bit of a newbie to Premiere and editing and I'm in a similar situation to glaustin. Virtually every thread I've found (here and on the web) says use the source size. But I don't actually have a source size. I import my pictures either into Premiere to make a slide show or into After Effects and then into Premiere. To get the best results, what should I open Premiere (and AE) with as a new project? For example should I use the DV or HDV capture on opening Premiere to get the best output quality for my movies and then what preset should I use for best results? A lot of my stuff goes on the web on YouTube or on websites. After I have edited, what preset and codec could I use (I'm in Europe working with CS5)?

I know this is basic stuff but a lot of the things what I have seen have jumped over this (such as the Adobe video tutorials) or are very technically written, like a physics degree paper. Are there any good, simple video tutorials on getting the best sizes or easy to read definitions on what results are intended against the various video setting options? I hope you can help. Should I open this as my own thread?

Cheers,

Ossie

• 17. Re: Jerky Playback
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ossie,

If there are no Video Assets, I would set up the Project for the highest resolution that I am likely to ever use, Scale my stills to that and edit. Then, one will have the "ultimate," and can easily down-rez for various output.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Jerky Playback
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                            > I know this is basic stuff but a lot of the things what I have seen have jumped over this (such as the Adobe video tutorials) or are very technically written, like a physics degree paper. Are there any good, simple video tutorials on getting the best sizes or easy to read definitions on what results are intended against the various video setting options?

I don't know that we have a lot of good material about this basic project planning and setup stuff for Premiere Pro, but we do for After Effects---and the ideas are the same in most cases.

For example, Bill's advice to set your sequence up to match the largest of your playback formats aligns with the advice that I give in "Planning your project". I think that one of the differences between an NLE like Premiere Pro and a compositor/animator like After Effects is that for an NLE the sources very often have the same size and other characteristics as the output types; i.e., you're cutting together assets in one format to create a program that is in essentially the same format. That's why it almost always makes sense for people to say "match your sequence settings to your source", because that usually also implies "match your sequence settings to your output".

There's also some general advice for picking output formats and settings depending on your goals in this FAQ entry (again for After Effects, but the gist is the same for Premiere Pro):

"FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting for After Effects?"

• 19. Re: Jerky Playback
                                              OzHP Level 1

Bill,

Thanks & belated compliments of the season.

I apologise for my ignorance as I am new to this (but I did follow Todd's helpful links to try and understand the options better and that has helped). I think my problem is I cannot find a starting from square 1 tutorial as everything I have surfed seems to start from the point of having a fair bit of knowledge already on formats. When you say "highest resolution I would ever use", would that be by using the HDV setting and then chosing a pre-set something like HDV 1080p25?

• 20. Re: Jerky Playback
                                                glaustin Level 1

Hi Ossie

This was an Auto Responder sent in error from my mailbox, please disregard this message. Having said that I'm reading Todd's link's over the holidays and his reply is proving very useful.

Regards,

Graham

• 21. Re: Jerky Playback
                                                  OzHP Level 1

Sorry to barge in again on glaustin's thread again but can anyone guide me on Bill's advice about highest resolution? Am I right in chosing something like HDV1080p25, especially when I'm making a slideshow or importing an After Effect animation and there is no camcorder involved??? It is very basic but most of the information I have seen is either very technical or vague... or both. For instance can anyone just give me the project settings they would chose above if they was me so I can see?

Overall I have got on well with working with the Premiere programme but I feel I am worried that I'm not starting from Square one as properly as I should be and that is affecting the project's overall quality.

Cheers.

• 22. Re: Jerky Playback
                                                    glaustin Level 1

I don't know what the others say but I think in your situation you should make your AE composition and export it to Pr. That should mean you have all the same parameters, which, I think, is half the battle.