5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 6:36 PM by adninjastrator

Navigation hides behind slideshow

skinneyfat Level 1

I have tried several navigation scripts and z-index all over the place but no matter what I try the sub-folders of my navigation on my homepage always gets hidden by the slideshow. Can someone tell me how to correct this? If you need to see it go to this site and move your mouse over the 3rd link down (home services) to have the sub-folder come out:

http://www.homehemodialysis.org/clients/testing/Applewood_v3/index_01.html

Any help would be appreciated. Remember z-index does not work.

P.S. The problem only occurs in IE8, not sure about <8.

• 1. Re: Navigation hides behind slideshow
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To get Flash flattened down to the page you need to set the wmode parameter to be "transparent".  You currently have it set to "window".  It only appears to be specified in the <script> section of the embedding code, so you would need to add it 2 more times in the object and embed portions of the <noscript> section.

In the script section you'd set...  'wmode', 'transparent',

In the noscript section you'd follow how the parameters are assigned there.

• 2. Re: Navigation hides behind slideshow
            skinneyfat Level 1

OK, I switched the wmode in the script part and I put a param name called wmode and put its value to transparent but I don't know where to put it the 3rd time. Could you tell me? I mean it's fixed as is but I don't want some complaints down the line because I didn't fix it all the way.

• 3. Re: Navigation hides behind slideshow
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Within the <object> section of the code is another set of parameters within <embed> tag.  You add it there as well.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Navigation hides behind slideshow
                skinneyfat Level 1

Thank you very much. Obviously I'm not used to working with flash I appreciate your time.

• 5. Re: Navigation hides behind slideshow
                  adninjastrator Level 4

Ned nailed this one right on the head!

But since this is such a common issue, I thought I'd expand on the topic a little. From an old post:

Window Mode (wmode) - What's It For?
                  There are three window modes.
                  Window
                  Opaque
                  Transparent
                  By default, the Flash Player gets its own hWnd in Windows. This means that the Flash movie actually exists in a display instance within Windows that lives above the core browser display window. So though it appears to be in the browser window, technically, it isn't. It is most efficient for Flash to draw this way and this is the fastest, most efficient rendering mode. However, it is drawing independently of the browser's HTML rendering surface. This is why this default mode (which is equivalent to wmode="window") doesn't allow proper compositing with DHTML layers. This is why your JavaScripted drop-down menus will drop behind your Flash movie.
                  In windowless modes (like opaque), Flash Player doesn't have a hWnd. This means that the browser tells the Flash Player when and where to draw onto the browser's own rendering surface. The Flash movie is no longer being rendered on a higher level if you will. It's right there in the page with the rest of the page elements. The Flash buffer is simply drawn into whatever rectangle the browser says, with any Flash stage space not occupied by objects receiving the movie's background color.

wmode of opaque means that the entire stage area of the .swf will be displayed on the HTML page. wmode transparent means that the stage itself will not display, only objects which have been placed on the stage will display on the HTML page, allowing whatever HTML content is behind the objects on the stage to "show through"... that's the transparent part. That's where z-indexing used with Flash can create some interesting displays. Here's an example:

http://www.mrfilmbiz.com/

Once you give your Flash either a wmode opaque or transparent, then you can apply z-indexing to the <div> holding the Flash and position it above, below, or in between other <div>s.

Best of luck!

Adninjastrator