9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 3:19 PM by mbb1984

Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4

mbb1984

I'm using a iMac 2Ghz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB Ram.  I downloaded the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 file from adobe's website.  When I open the disk image labeled Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and click the install app, it initializes and I select download as Trial.  It then goes to install options and only gives me the option to install Encore CS5 and Onlocation CS5.

I called customer support and was on the phone for 40 minutes and we were unable to solve the problem.  I did the adobe srcript clean for all cs5 apps. 

I have some CS4 apps installed and at one point I had Premiere CS4 installed but I uninstalled it.  The adobe premiere cs4 folder was not deleted but I just deleted it after being instructed by Aadesh Kumar, technical support but that didn't solve the problem. 

Here's a screenshot http://twitpic.com/3gu6ht

Case Number is 181955553; it's marked as closed but it has not been resolved.  (This feels like a pretty stupid problem to have)

• 1. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
          Colin Brougham Level 6

(This feels like a pretty stupid problem to have)

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree, because it's not really a problem. Premiere Pro is going to be installed, period; if you're running the installer for Premiere Pro, it's assumed you want to install Premiere Pro. You can opt to install Encore and/or OnLocation, if you want them; they can't be installed without Premiere Pro.

• 2. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
            mbb1984 Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

You can opt to install Encore and/or OnLocation, if you want them; they can't be installed without Premiere Pro.

Then why isn't Adobe Premiere Pro installed when I run the installer if it's just installed by default?  The above statement seems to not be true.

Any site moderators who know what they're talking about on this forum somewhere.  Or just someone who knows what they're talking about?

• 3. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Wow. Great attitude.

It's also a distinct possibility that your machine doesn't meet the system requirements. You might check those.

• 4. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
                mbb1984 Level 1

You made statements that are false.  Premiere is not installed period.  Please don't make statements that are false in response to questions.  If Premiere wants to compete with Final Cut Pro and Avid then installation shouldn't be harder and buggier than both.

Also, the specs I listed above meet the system requirements for Premiere Pro CS5

I really want to try this software but after awhile I'm just going to give up and encode my dslr video to prores and edit in Final Cut.

• 5. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
                  jeremy d. Level 3

OK guys.

mbb - I do not believe that your machine supports 64-bit apps.

edit: not to mention that with those specs, you wouldn't get much done with CS5, anyway. Premiere requires a bit more brawn than that.

Mac OS

• Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
                  • Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6.3; Mac OS X v10.6.3 required for GPU-accelerated performance
                  • 2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
                  • 10GB of available hard-disk space for installation;  additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a  volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable  flash-based storage devices)
                  • 7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
                  • 1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card
                  • Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
                  • Core Audio–compatible sound card
                  • DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs  (SuperDrive for burning DVDs; external Blu-ray burner for creating  Blu-ray Disc media)
                  • QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features
                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
                    mbb1984 Level 1

jeremy d. wrote:

OK guys.

mbb - I do not believe that your machine supports 64-bit apps.

edit: not to mention that with those specs, you wouldn't get much done with CS5, anyway. Premiere requires a bit more brawn than that.

After researching it is the case that Intel Core Duo's do not support 64-Bit software (so we can make a firm statement about that, not just rely on faith). However, Aadesh Kumar, Adobe Tech Support, told me on the phone that my processor did support 64 bit, this would have saved me so much time if tech support knew what they were talking about.

Also, adobe's wording is clear for windows but vague for Mac ie "Virtually all Intel® based Mac computers support 64 bit." http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/ Intel Core Duo computers were sold for a good amount of time.

As far as CS5 needing more brawn(why isn't adobe honest about tech specs, Final Cut Pro 6 works great on this computer for what I do (I'm not trying to make inception or anything)  But seems like ProRes and Final Cut Pro forever then ...or until I get a new computer that can handle processing all the hd codecs.

Such an awful experience, Digidesign used to be the worst but I just installed ProTools 9 and dealing with their site and installation process (even with the ilok) was a breeze compared to this.

You'd think maybe the install app would tell you your processor doesn't support 64-bit instead of just leaving it up to the user to figure out why there is no option to install it and then have to deal with their own tech support who can barely speak english and give out bad info that just wastes your time.

• 7. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
                      jeremy d. Level 3

I agree that the installer could have a better UI when it sees your 32-bit system. I also understand why you're frustrated.

Also, adobe's wording is clear for windows but vague for Mac ie "Virtually all Intel® based Mac computers support 64 bit." http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/ Intel Core Duo computers were sold for a good amount of time.

What that page says specifically is, "Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support."

why isn't adobe honest about tech specs,

It's spelled out right there on that web page. We even recommend that you have more RAM than the 2gb that meet the minimum requirements:

• Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
                      • Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6.3; Mac OS X v10.6.3 required for GPU-accelerated performance
                      • 2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
                      • 10GB of available hard-disk space for installation;  additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a  volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable  flash-based storage devices)
                      • 7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
                      • 1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card
                      • Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
                      • Core Audio–compatible sound card
                      • DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs  (SuperDrive for burning DVDs; external Blu-ray burner for creating  Blu-ray Disc media)
                      • QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features
                      • Broadband Internet connection required for online services*
                      • 8. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'll follow up with the Technical Support agent that you talked with and help him to understand that the first thing that should have been made clear is that the Intel Core Duo processor is a 32-bit processor and therefore can't run Premiere Pro CS5.

• 9. Re: Can not install Premiere Pro on Mac Os 10.6.4
                          mbb1984 Level 1

How about you follow up with your software developers and tell them to modify the install app so that it notifies the user that their computer doesn't support 64-bt applications...