3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 5:35 AM by ruchi_agrawal_adobe

Certificate security for a portfolio after Reader X update

fcrussell Level 1

I secured/encrypted a portfolio with public keys from several committee members including myself of a homeowner's association. This worked as it should with Acrobat 9.4.1 and Reader 9.4.1.

After I updated to Adobe Reader X, I tried to open the portfolio with Reader X and got the following message:

"A digital ID was used to encrypt this document but no digital ID is present to decrypt it. Make sure your digital ID is properly installed or contact the document author."

On this same computer I can open the portfolio with Acrobat 9.4.1 and it doesn't prompt me for a password. When I open the portfolio with Adobe Reader X, however, it asks for a password and gives me the above error message. When I supply the password, the portfolio opens correctly.

When I upgraded to Reader X, I completely  removed Reader 9 prior to loading Reader X. After a successful upgrade, I set my preferences to closely match what I had with Reader 9. Next, I re-established my security settings as follows:

1) Edit>Protection>Security Settings - then set the same private key (my key) as before, and

2) Edit>Protection>Manage Trusted Identities - then set the same public keys (committee member keys including my key) as before.

What did I forget? Why would the portfolio open for Acrobat but not Reader X?

• 1. Re: Certificate security for a portfolio after Reader X update
          ruchi_agrawal_adobe Adobe Employee

Hi,

The answers to the following questions might help in looking into the issue further:

1. Did you use Acrobat 9.4.1 for encrypting the portfolio? If yes can you please specify the exact encryption method used?

2. Did you use the same machine for encrypting and opening the portfolio? 

3. Did you try opening the portfolio in Reader 9.4.1 and did it ask for a password there?

4. Which platform ( Win XP/ Vista/ Win7) are you on?

• 2. Re: Certificate security for a portfolio after Reader X update
            fcrussell Level 1

Hi,

I used Acrobat 9.4.1 for encrypting the portfolio with 256-AES encryption on the same machine that was updated to Reader X. With Reader 9.4.1 the certificate encryption worked normally - didn't require a password. My computer is running Win XP Home edition.

If you have gotten a security certificate created w/Arcobat 9 to work in Reader X, I'd like to know the details.

Since my post I've been told that Acrobat 9 and Reader X aren't mutually compatible. I removed Reader X and reloaded Reader 9.4.1 and the certificate works normally again. I assumed, I believe incorrectly, that Reader X would work with Acrobat 9! If you have had a different experience, please post details.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Certificate security for a portfolio after Reader X update
              ruchi_agrawal_adobe Adobe Employee

Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,
              Adobe Prerelease Team