5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 2:57 PM by the_wine_snob

APE9 and BluRay

Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This question is for somebody else, as i do not own Elements.

How many options or presets are there for burning a BluRay: prefably a screendump.

This person just installed APE9 and has only 4 H264 presets.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: APE9 and BluRay
          nealeh Level 5

That's correct for the Sharing Blu-Ray option. There are only two TV systems (PAL & NTSC) and two Blu-Ray high-def resolutions.

1.png

For other High Definition Shares you should look at the MPEG Presets

2.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: APE9 and BluRay
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Interesting the PrE 9 does not offer the MPEG-2 BD settings for BD authoring.

I find this especially interesting as Adobe Encore often does a better job, with fewer problems and higher quality, with the MPEG-2 BD Transcoding options.

Oh well, live and learn, and Ann, thanks for asking this question, as I did learn something from it.

Hunt

• 3. Re: APE9 and BluRay
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks, appreciate it.

• 4. Re: APE9 and BluRay
                nealeh Level 5

Perhaps a marketing ploy - if Wikipedia is accurate that would only offer half the maximum run time of MP4.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: APE9 and BluRay
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Where the positive aspect of the choice comes in is with the resultant quality (and sometimes the ease of authoring). Both formats/CODEC's are supported BD specs., and in certain cases, many have found the MPEG-2 BD to provide higher quality. I would anticipate that one criteria for that improvement might well be how much rapid motion is in the footage.

Also, I am only assuming that PrE is likely using the QT Player version of H.264, and that has caused some quality issues. Many have found that either the Lead, or MainConcept do a better job with H.264. Now, if one has say Apple and MainConcpt H/264, I wonder which will have priority in PrE? Then, there is X.264, but do not know the full applications of it, or its limitations. Some, encoding for computer playback, really like the results from it.

Just wondering,

Hunt