13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2010 8:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Invisible audio tracks in timeline

psengu07 Level 1

I've been working on a music video, so I've got multiple video clips in my timeline, but I've unlinked them from their original audio files and subsequently deleted the audio tracks they were assigned to. The only audio track I've kept is the original mp3 I am using. This was inserted on the audio track named "Soundtrack". For some reason, this track is no longer visible on my timeline. My Video tracks 1-7 are visible, but no audio tracks whatsoever. I can hear it fine and adjust it in the audio mixer, but I can't see it. Any idea how to get it back?

NB: When I create a new sequence or project, the audio tracks are visible as usual. Just not in the sequence I'm working on. Also, if I add a new video clip with audio attached, I can preview the video and hear the audio, but again- the audio track isn't visible on the timeline. Please help! This is highly annoying...

• 1. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
          psengu07 Level 1

Gah. When I add new video clips to the timeline, the audio that is attached to said video cuts into the 'Soundtrack' track that I want, so I can't even keep editing.

Is there any way of transferring all my edited video to a new sequence and just start over?

• 2. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When Premiere acts funny try launching the progamm holding shift+ctrl+alt.

Did you install the latest update?

• 3. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Make your sequence pane bigger.  The audio will show up.

• 4. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you using PrElements? PrPro does not have a "Soundtrack," but PrE does.

My guess is that you need to scroll up/down in your Timeline, and you will find the phantom Audio Clip(s).

Also, here is the Premiere Elements Forum. Maybe the MODs will move this post to that forum, if you ARE on PrE.

Last, some users of PrE have had problems with both Soundtrack and Narration, the two fixed Audio Tracks. When this happens, I recommend that those Clips get moved to a free, regular Audio Track.

Well, one more: I always convert any MP3 files to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, before Import. Many MP3 files can cause issues. I use Adobe Audition, but the great, free utility, Audacity, can do this too.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] The word "Sequence" indicates PrPro, and NOT PrE, so I was wrong about the program. In either program, look for the scroll bars to the far right of the Timeline Panel, and just scroll.

To control the placement of Audio Assets, one thing to think about is that your source footage will determine which Audio Tracks will be available. The channel-count MUST match. A 1-channel source can ONLY go onto a 1-channel Audio Track. If you have Audio, that you do not want disturbed, just Lock that Track (note: ONLY in PrPro, as PrE does not have Track Locks).

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added Edit

• 5. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
                  Powered by Design Level 4

Highlight the timeline and hit the TILDE key ~ to expand the timeline to see all your tracks.

Like others have said they are probably there but just need to scroll to see them.  Maybe there mono and you have stereo tracks at the top or vice/versa

GLenn

• 6. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
                    psengu07 Level 1

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've tried all suggestions, but unfortunately I'm not getting any results. Here is a screen shot of what I'm dealing with. It's quite strange.

I've just expanded my timeline view, and yes, I have scrolled all the way to the end- as you can see, scrolling up and down is not an option.

Premiere.PNG

And also, no- I am not going crazy, but my one and only audio track is still playing. I just can't see the damn thing! Again, as mentioned, when I add a new audio track to the sequence, it does exist, according to the audio mixer, but is invisible.

And like I said, when I open a new project, the default audio tracks are there as usual. Is there any way of copying all my edited video off my current sequence and just putting it in a fresh project/sequence? I guess I'll have to lay down my audio again, since it's hiding from me. That's not too much of a problem, but since it's a music video, it's important that it's all in sync.

Is this my best option/can it be done?

• 7. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

See how there's a slightly darker gray bar right under the Video 1 track, going all the way across the Timeline panel? Hover over that until you get a double-headed arrow pointer, pointing up and down with a "sandwich" in between them. Click, and drag up.

• 8. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
                        psengu07 Level 1

OH MY GOD. I can't believe it was such a simple problem. Man I feel stupid.

But thanks for all the help anyway guys, and thanks Colin!

• 9. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

No worries. We've all done something like that before

• 10. Re: Invisible audio tracks in timeline