7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2010 10:09 AM by Danilo Salvego RSS

Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5

Danilo Salvego Community Member

Hello everyone.

I´m having a little problem converting a solid color to process using the Adobe Swatch Libraries.

I own a Pantone Color Bridge Coated and Uncoated set books and I chose the color 3262 C for a client of mine.

On the book the equivalent process color for this solid one is C 76 M 0 Y 38 K 0.

But, when I select the same solid color on Adobe Illustrator, and I ask to convert to process, the software is giving me different CMYK coordinates. The software is showing the "correct" process color equivalent to 3626 C is C 78 M 0 Y 32 K 0.

Ok, now my questions:

- Which one I should consider as the most accurate solid to process conversion? The book or the Adobe conversion?

- Maybe my Adobe Illustrator is not updated? I downloaded the digital Libraries from Pantone web site and I´m still getting this mismatch.

- Maybe the book is not updated ? I just bought the "Pantone Plus Series" this week - it´s the most update book of Pantone!).

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5
          Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

I assue 3626 was a typo.

to tell you the truth though pantone is pretty good lots of the time I often disagree with them myself. I kind of think that Illustrator could be doing a better job in this case.

What is your judgment?

However when I click on the swatch to get to the swatch options and select CMYK and the Process and global I get 71 C and 33 Y so It aapears hw you make this conversion that counts.

• 2. Re: Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5

Well actually when I´m seeing in my monitor the Adobe conversion looks more accurate then the CMYK coordinates given by the book.

But I don´t care what appears on my monitor. I just really care about the printing results. And I want to make the more accurate CYMK equivalent to te 3626. And I´m still don´t know which one to use. The book´s or the Adobe conversion.

According to this article on Adobe web site (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/330/330728.html), the conversion coordinates are given by Pantone to Adobe. Since I´m having this mismatch, I would like to know wich one is the lastest or which one I should trust.

• 3. Re: Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5
              Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

Well take a look at this and see what you think I think it is in fact the same color break that Pantone gives you and Illstrator accurately converts it depeneding on how you make he conversion.

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.23.36 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.23.57 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.24.09 AM.png

I forgot to post the conversion to process

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.29.03 AM.png

• 4. Re: Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5

Hi Wade, tks again for your answer.

As you can see in your own post, the CMYK values are different as specified on the Pantone book.

I have the most updated Pantone Color Bridge book, and it supose to give me the most accurate CMYK values for the chosen solid Pantone color (in this case the 3262).

When you converted the pantone spot color to CMYK, the values give by Illustrator were C 71 M 0 Y 33 K 0 and the values given by the book are C 76 M 0 Y 38 K 0.

And then this returns to my questions:

- Which one I should consider as the most accurate solid to process conversion? The book or the Adobe conversion?

- Maybe my Adobe Illustrator is not updated? I downloaded the digital Libraries from Pantone web site and I´m still getting this mismatch.

- Maybe the book is not updated ? I just bought the "Pantone Plus Series" this week - it´s the most update book of Pantone!).

Thanks again for your time and patience!

• 5. Re: Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5
                  PrepressPro1 Community Member

The only conversion to CMYK I get for Pantone 3263 U with my book and illustrator is the C 71, Y 33, I would question the book with the C 76, Y 38, conversion. What is the date on the book? Is the book made for some spicific process of printing i.e. Flexo or Screen printing? Where did you get this book? Perhaps these are the newest and best tables to use, but I don't have them and I question if they are.

• 6. Re: Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5
                    PrepressPro1 Community Member

OK, I just went to the North American Pantone site and they have a tool called My Pantone X-Ref for looking up most current conversions.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/color_xref.aspx

If I put the solid coated PMS book to convert to the bridge color you get the C 76, Y 38 build. This is the most current table and best to use IMHO.

• 7. Re: Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5

Well, I think I found my answer. And it´s easier than I thought.

I contacted the Pantone suport and they just realize I was talking about other book.

I have the Pantone Color Bridge Books. But not the standard ones. I have the Plus Series (with the green cover). This is the most updated books from Pantone.

The Plus Series has different CMYK equivalents, because in this edition they unified the European and the North American CYMK standards.

And of course, because of that, the Adobe swatches libraries was outdated.

Then I just downloaded the new PANTONE PLUS Digital Libraries for Adobe on Pantone´s web site. Now I can pick the right color, just selecting the Pantone+ in the swatches libraries. Here is the link: http://www.pantone.com/pages/Pantone/Pantone.aspx?pg=20721 (you have to be a registered member to download it).

Now I have the same both CMYK coordinates from the book and from the Adobe conversion.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!