9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2010 8:55 AM by Jim_Simon

Advice on $2000 build

danransom

Big thanks to everyone on this  forum.  I've been out of the video game for a couple years now (used  PPro CS2 extensively for a couple years), and now I am looking to get  back into it.  Catching back up to speed on all this has been a humbling  process!  Spent the last couple days reading the stickied posts by Harm  and company, and appreciate all their information.

Basic use will be to film documentary style backcountry trips into some remote  locations, usually by way of backpacking, and all shooting will be done  with a GH2.  Editing will be almost all AVCHD, with eventual distribution  hopefully to the web, film festivals, and blueray.

So  after some research, I'm fairly confident in building a workable $2000  Premiere CS5 machine.  I'm soliciting some advice to see if there are  some improvements that can be made.  Here it is so far -

Tower - IN WIN Maelstrom Black SECC(0.8~1.0mm) ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $99.99

Processor - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W - $294.99

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $399.98

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA  Motherboard - $199.99

Video - EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi)- $249.99

Power Supply - CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER - $169.99

OS Hard Drive - Crucial RealSSD C300 - $134.99 – Primary drive - OS and Programs

Media Drives –  (4) Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" – media drive configured in 2 disk raid 0 with one back up drive,  and an export drive.

Optical Drive - Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-206BKS - $129.99

Processor Cooling - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - $34.99

Monitor -     Asus VE248H Black 24" Full HD - $219.99

Total cost sneaks in at roughly $2000 from NewEgg.

Couple of immediate concerns I have:

1) Is G.Skill a good memory brand?  I've tried to do some research, and it seems like the most cost effective.

2) Is the SSD software drive sufficient in size?  64gb.  Should only be running production suite CS5, and a few other small programs.I can upgrade to 128, but looking to cut costs where appropriate.

3)  Raid setup - I know the folks on the  board advocate a controller.  It  is out of the budget for now though.  I would like to do an onboard raid  0 and have one additional backup, as well as an export drive.  In reading Harm's suggestions on  storage, like this is doable - 1 SSD for OS  and software, 2 in raid0 config for media, 1 for raid a media drive backup, and one for exporting to.  Is this a reasonable strategy?

4)  I know the video monitor isn't that great, but it fits the budget.  Any other recommendations in a similar price range?

Thanks for your help!

- Dan

• 1. Re: Advice on $2000 build
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

#2 - I have 45Gig of my boot drive used, with Win7 64bit Pro + CS5 Master Collection + MS Office Pro 2007 + Misc Utility Programs

I do have the Windows page file set to go to a different drive for overall performance, but that is not a very large file

• 2. Re: Advice on $2000 build
            Jim_Simon Level 8

1. You should be fine.

2. Not really.  You don't need a lot for the System drive, but even a 75GB Raptor is a little sparse.  I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F4 320 GB drive.  It's pretty fast, and has plenty of space.

3. I'd caution against the RAID 0.  You won't need that kind of speed using AVCHD.  You'd be better off using one drive for Projects/Scratch, one for Media, and one for Exports.

4. I'm using the H243H from Acer.  Works great.  You should be fine with the Asus.

• 3. Re: Advice on $2000 build
              danransom Level 1

Thanks John.  Knowing the amount of hard drive space is necessary helps a lot. 

Any idea what kind of performance gain or loss there is between a SSD drive for the OS and the 320gb spinpoint that Jim listed?

• 4. Re: Advice on $2000 build
                danransom Level 1

Great info Jim, thanks.

Why do you advise against the raid 0?  Because of using the onboard controller?

Many thanks,

Dan

• 5. Re: Advice on $2000 build
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Dan,

A monitor alternative is the Samsung F2380, which is the most affordable PVA screen and much better than TN screens.

64 GB SSD is more than enough for OS and programs.

G.Skill Ripjaws are very good sticks.

Either use 2 separate raid0 arrays or one 2-disk raid0 array and two separate disks. It depends a bit on your workflow and backup capabilities, what to choose. Have a look at the Generic Guide... under the Overview tab.

• 6. Re: Advice on $2000 build
                    danransom Level 1

Thanks Harm.

After another look at that guide, I'm inclined to think the best setup will be 2 drives in Raid0, with a backup, and then one additional drive for previews and exports.

Do you see any reason to go with 5 media drives, so that previews and exports are on two different drives, or is 4 the best bang for the buck.  (note - i will be getting the SSD drive for the OS)

Also, the Samsung F2380 apparently is no longer being stocked at newegg...  Might have to look around some more.

Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated!

• 7. Re: Advice on $2000 build
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Do you see any reason to go with 5 media drives, so that previews and exports are on two different drives, or is 4 the best bang for the buck.  (note - i will be getting the SSD drive for the OS)

Not really, since previews will only be used for previewing your timeline during editing and will - in a normal workflow - not be used for exporting. So there is no congestion on that disk.

• 8. Re: Advice on $2000 build
                        danransom Level 1

thanks again for the help!

• 9. Re: Advice on $2000 build
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Why do you advise against the raid 0?

Because you just don't need that kind of speed for AVCHD media, or most any other camera format.  You only really need it working with Uncompressed or RED camera media.  And with a RAID 0, you get double the change of drive failure.