17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 6:57 AM by the_wine_snob

where are the offline clips?

EH....? Level 1

Periodically, Premiere and AffterEffects have disagreement they don't let me in on and  when I go to render a project, I get the unpleasant news that the result of the tiff (if you'll pardon the pun) is notice that I have offline material which will be rendered as that dread multi-language graphic to rub it in.

Obviously Premiere knows that I have offline material, so why does it not direct me to its location. 

What would it take?  That same note that tells me I have offline material can tell me where it is located on the timeline. For all I know, the offline clip is in an After Effects composition  where I can't see it unless I open up each and every one to hunt  for the missing clip.

Really infuriating and so unnecessary.

• 1. Re: where are the offline clips?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When one has a Project, where Assets' location/name was changed, or they were deleted, when one first Opens that Project, PrPro WILL prompt with, "where is file ______ .avi?" After that first Opening, things get a bit different. If one chooses to Offline, or Ignore the message, and then they do a Save of that Project, PrPro will not prompt again. It assumes that the user wants to edit with material Offline. If that has happened, then the only solution is to either go back to maybe an AutoSave version, before Offline was accepted, or manually go into the Project Panel and Relink Media, on a one-by-one basis.

The links to the Assets are absolute, so if the location changes, say with an external, which was seen as drive F:\, initially, but is now seen as G:\, or if one Moves, or Renames the Assets, though still on the same drive letter, the program cannot follow its links in the PRPROJ (Project) file. That is when it asks where is that file. Did you Move, Rename, Delete, or otherwise change the Path? Are those Assets on an external, or networked HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: where are the offline clips?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            why does it not direct me to its location.

If Premiere know where the asset was, it wouldn't be offline.

I can't see it unless I open up each and every one to hunt  for the missing clip.

That is correct, sir.

• 3. Re: where are the offline clips?
              EH....? Level 1

Jim,

I didn't say that it should indicate where the asset was but where, it should indicate where on the timeline the asset is missing. That it DOES know.  Why Adobe doesnn't see this as obvious I'll never know.  I must be in my second hour hunting for where on the timeline there's a missing clip.  It is insane that I should have to.

NF

• 4. Re: where are the offline clips?
                Powered by Design Level 4

If you use the TILDE key ~ and expand the Project Panel you can see in the STATUS column what is OFFLINE.

Just click that file and link media and it should be fine.

Just type OFFLINE in the search box in the top left and it will only show things that are offline.

This will at least help you find what is offline.

GLenn

picture050.jpg

Here is a quote from Colin Brougham:

If you select your clip in the project window (just single-click on it), you'll see information about it at the top of that pane. You'll see how many times the video and audio from that clip is used in your project. In that line of information, is a small, downward-pointing triangle. Click on that, and you'll see a list of all sequences that use that clip. If you select one of the sequences in that list, that sequence will come forward and the CTI will move to the inpoint of that clip in that particular sequence. You can then edit it out or do whatever you need to do. Repeat as necessary to find other instances of that clip.

When you click the down arrow you see where the files are located.  Click one and it will go to it for you.

picture051.jpg

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: where are the offline clips?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Why Adobe doesnn't see this as obvious I'll never know.

I can think of two reasons.  First, exactly where a missing asset is used in a sequence is somewhat irrelevant.  You find it in the bin, and relink it there.  Wherever it is used in a sequence, it will show up once relinked.  And second, because there is already a method to find any asset in any sequence, missing or not.

Those are just my guesses, though.

• 6. Re: where are the offline clips?
                    EH....? Level 1

Your response was very helpful, but I don't agree with the irrelevance of where on the time line the asset is.  For example, I located a missing asset labelled 'glow'.  Well, I've used a glow of many varieties throughout my feature-length sequence.  If Premiere tells me where it is missing on the timeline, I can deal with its absense or possibly even eliminate it entirely.

In another (even trickier) instance, I found seevral lost links for what were formerly shots on my timeline that I had converted to linked AE projects which Premiere had assigned obscure file names. And I don't know of any means of tracing where they are on the timeline, so the information provided is virtually worthless.

In these cases, ironically, I had spotted broken links for compositions on the timeline, deleted them, then recrearted them  I was in ignorance that the original links would remain in the project assets after I dleted linked compositions on the timeline.  In this instance, no missing media grtaphic would appear on the timeline, so any search would be fruitless.  So here I am hunting for a missing asset graphic that does not exoist!

Premiere HELP offers little reference to the term 'offline'.  The more advanced (and welcome) relationship with AE is unfortunately not ideally robust and results inevitably in 'offline' media. Premiere needs to make every effort to offer the information necessary to correct a problem, not make it a scavenger hunt for clues.

• 7. Re: where are the offline clips?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      If Premiere tells me where it is missing on the timeline, I can deal with its absense or possibly even eliminate it entirely.

But it does tell you that (sort of).  By clicking on the asset in the bin, you can get every instance that clip was used in every sequence.  That was the "second" part of my post above.

• 8. Re: where are the offline clips?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I don't know of any means of tracing where they are on the timeline

The same as with any asset, be it audio, video, graphic or AE comp.  Click on it to select it in the bin, then click on the little triangle next the the thumbnail above.

• 9. Re: where are the offline clips?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          The more advanced (and welcome) relationship with AE is unfortunately not ideally robust and results inevitably in 'offline' media.

I don't understand that.  Assets only go offline it you (the editor) move them, delete them, or rename them.  So it's not 'inevitable'.  Just don't ever touch your assets until a project is finished and properly archived.  Then everything works.

• 10. Re: where are the offline clips?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Per Colin Brougham's response to a similar request in another thread,

First, search for it in the Project Panel. When it's revealed, click on it, then go up to the information display at the top of the Project Panel. In the line of info just under the clip name, you'll see a small downward pointing triangle; if you click that, it will reveal a list of sequences and timecodes where the clip is in use. Selecting one of those will bring the sequence forward and park the CTI at that point.

Hope that helps you locate every instance of each of the problem Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: where are the offline clips?
                              EH....? Level 1

Jim, in most instances of lost links I did none of the above to bring about my woes.  At least not as such.  What I mean iis best illustrated by one specific instance when I used one clip twice and however I managed this double usage Premiere took exception to, and delinked without cautioning me that I was breaking some procedural law.  Fortunately, the roundabout solutions I noiw know of locating the offline material at least narrows things down considerably, but even so I am far from home free in determining where on the timeline a given absent clip is.

In the case at hand, thankfully, it was information enough.

All of the suggestions have been helpful in this thread.  No sole proposal was the Swiss army knife solution to every contingency regarding timeline orphans but I certainly learned a lot.

But here's the kick in the pants.  Recovery is apparently one of those 'easy if you know how' solutions.  My quest here was to a) identify, then b) replace the footage missing.  By the time I was well on the trail of the original footage, I stumbled upon an alternative bit I'd overlooked that actally bested what I'd had there in the first place!

Such is life!

NF

Thanks to all, especially Jim who really joined into this worthwhile excutsion into the Adobe arcane.

• 12. Re: where are the offline clips?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

PrPro should not have taken exception to multiple instances of the same Clip. One has virtually unlimited use of source material instances. As an example, I always create a 02 sec. Black Video, in my Project. I use these very liberally, and might have 100 instances of it in a long Timeline.

Same with an AV Clip. One can use it repeatedly, in its un-Trimmed form, or perhaps Trimmed to different In & Out Points.

Not sure what happened in your case, but multiple instances of a Clip should not have been an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: where are the offline clips?
                                  EH....? Level 1

I understand that multiple uses of a clip should be O.K. Bill, but somehow the WAY I did so must have hit tilt.  Unfortunately, whatever I did Premeire and/or AE could not tolerate it.  I only wish Premiere or AE would throw off a caution before I do something I'll regret.  While I'm happy to know I have the resources now to repair my errors, the pity is, that history is cursed to repeat itself if the user has no idea what he's doing wrong.  I never knowingly deteted a clip, moved it, or whatever else puts it offline.

When I did a Google search for the term 'offline' and 'Premiere' I found innumerable hits, enough to warrent Adobe's considering what they can do to make mistakss less of an ordeal    All least Premiere might caution at the time of an action taken that it may or will result in going offline. I'm sure that alone would be much appreciated..

NF

• 14. Re: where are the offline clips?
                                    EH....? Level 1

Thanks for your contributions to this forum topic.  It has been very interesting an informative.

You wouldn't be the Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits, would you?

Norman

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:44:29 -0700

To: ndfrizzle@hotmail.com

Subject: where are the offline clips?

PrPro should not have taken exception to multiple instances of the same Clip. One has virtually unlimited use of source material instances. As an example, I always create a 02 sec. Black Video, in my Project. I use these very liberally, and might have 100 instances of it in a long Timeline.

Same with an AV Clip. One can use it repeatedly, in its un-Trimmed form, or perhaps Trimmed to different In & Out Points.

Not sure what happened in your case, but multiple instances of a Clip should not have been an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 15. Re: where are the offline clips?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

No, that is not me. He seems much smarter, and some say better looking...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: where are the offline clips?
                                        EH....? Level 1

I'm only curious because The Digital Bits is the site I turn to first for general home video news.  I doubt if the other Bill Hunt knows his way around Adobe's Productin Studio as you do, but was curious to know if he had a doube life!

NF

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:05:24 -0700

To: ndfrizzle@hotmail.com

Subject: where are the offline clips?

No, that is not me. He seems much smarter, and some say better looking...

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 17. Re: where are the offline clips?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          but was curious to know if he had a doube life!

I cannot speak for that - he may? Is he a "wine snob" too?

Sometimes the Adobe forum thinks I am some character named WAHunt3, and logs me in with that name. I usually run to the mirror, just to check...

Good luck,

Hunt