3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2010 7:56 PM by 2wenty4frames

Exporting from 4K timeline

2wenty4frames

So i'm attempting to export from a 4K RED timeline and yet i cant seem to get a decent quality export to put onto vimeo to show my DOP.

I've tried h.264 with the vimeo preset and the youtube preset (the image jitters like its dropping heaps of frames between), Quick Time w/Pal DV widescreen (export always fails) and the others are too small

Is there something wrong with my settings or timeline, it's set to 4K Red 25fps 16:9 (thats what we shot at)

thanks

• 1. Re: Exporting from 4K timeline
          Powered by Design Level 4

I only have a 6 second sample of 2K RED footage that I have played with but my h264 Vimeo export looks smooth.

Im in NTSC land and havent played with PAL any but on the Vimeo website it says to upload HD at 5000 kbits/second.

Also it says that you can upload at 1920x1080 too.

I just used the Vimeo preset then changed the Levels to 5.1 and the Bitrate encoding to CBR at 5 and then change the frame rate back to match the source because it changes when i changed the other settings.

I havent uploaded anything to Vimeo since this is just a sample file to play with but it playes fine on my system.

Here is what it says on Vimeo.

Hope you get it working.  That RED footage sure looks great.  Wish I had one.

GLenn

Codecs

H.264 / AAC

A codec is the format in which your video will be encoded. Different codecs have different features and varying quality. For best results, we recommend using H.264 (sometimes referred to as MP4) for the video codec and AAC(short for Advanced Audio Codec) for the audio codec. If you're on a Windows machine, WMV3 is a good choice for video codec.

Frame rate

30 FPS

If there is an option that says "current," it is best to just go with that. Otherwise, this is usually 30 fps (frames per second) for USA, Canada, and Japan, while in Europe and rest of the world it's usually 25 fps. If there is an option for keyframes, use the same value you used for framerate.

Data rate

2000 kbits/sec (SD) / 5000 kbits/sec (HD)

This setting controls both the visual quality of the video and how big the file will be. In most video editors, this is done in terms of kilobits per second (kbits/sec or kbps). Use 2000 kbits/sec for standard definition 4:3 video,3000 kbits/sec for widescreen DV, or 5000 kbits/sec for high definition footage.

Resolution

640x480 (SD) / 1280x720 (HD)

640x480 for standard definition 4:3 video, 853x480 for widescreen DV, and 1280x720 or 1920x1080 for high definition. If you have the option to control the pixel aspect ratio (not display aspect ratio) make sure it's set to "1:1" or "1.00", also sometimes called "square pixels."

Deinterlacing

YES

If you have this option, enable it. If you shoot in DV format, this is an especially important. If you do not deinterlace, you will often get weird-looking horizontal lines in your video.

Audio

320 kbps / 44.100 kHz

Choose AAC for the audio codec. You'll want to set the bit rate to 320 kbpsand the sample rate to 44.100 kHz.

Format

MP4

While we like MP4 the best, we will generally accept any of the following formats: 3g2, 3gp, 3gp2, 3gpp, asf, asx, avi, divx, mts, m2t, m2ts, m2v, m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, mpe, mpeg, mpg, ogg, wmv.

• 2. Re: Exporting from 4K timeline
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Is it stuttering on local playback as well, or only once it's uploaded?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Exporting from 4K timeline
              2wenty4frames Level 1

Well the NTSC works and so does pal but i have to change a few settings it won't work with just the vimeo preset but its working now thank you all