5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 7:19 AM by plm206101

Dreamweaver edit with Fireworks

plm206101

I have a website designed using Dreamweaver and Fireworks.  I have upgraded to CS3 and now trying to make changes to Dreamweaver file using Fireworks original png file that created the html, is seemingly impossible.  I have set the default editor to Fireworks and deleted all other editors showing.... cleared all temp files and restarted machine didn't help with this problem.  I keep seeing a "pencil" icon for the editor in Dreamweaver and it wants to go to a program called "PhotoPad" that I didn't even know I had.  I even changed the exe program name for photo pad and all I get now is an error that it can't find the program.  I still only have Fireworks set as the default for the png file that created it.  It seems it wants to change a .jpg slice and I want to go out to fireworks as I always did in the past, edit the png file, click "done" and have it update the html file.  Why isn't this possible anymore? and what happened to change it?  Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver edit with Fireworks
          plm206101 Level 1

Forgot to mention that I can get around this problem by deleting all slices in the html "images" folder, opening the original png file, making changes and then exporting it again to html.  Long way around but can be done.  I also could choose "edit in Fireworks" from Dreamweaver but it wants to edit the html file and my png file is all slices."   Any suggestion to make it as convenient as it was working back and forth between Dreamweaver and Fireworks would be so helpful.  I do not have any DIV's or CSS in my older websites.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver edit with Fireworks
            pixlor Level 4

plm206101 wrote:

I keep seeing a "pencil" icon for the editor in Dreamweaver and it wants to go to a program called "PhotoPad" that I didn't even know I had.  I even changed the exe program name for photo pad and all I get now is an error that it can't find the program.

Well, first, the settings for which program to open for a given file type is set someplace else. If you change the name of the program, then yes, when Dreamweaver goes to try to find it with the registered name, it won't find it and you'll get an error. Somehow, you installed this program and it has taken over being the default editor for images.

If you have Dreamweaver and you want to make changes to the HTML, edit in Dreamweaver! Fireworks is not an HTML authoring environment, Dreamweaver is.

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver edit with Fireworks
              plm206101 Level 1

Thanks for your reply...  I guess I thought I made myself so clear but somehow did not.  I just got so used to going in Dreamweaver, clicking on a slice and pressing the Fireworks button that when I saw a pencil icon instead... I guess I just "over-thought" the problem.

I did not knowingly bring in PhotoPad, so I am not sure how it got into my system but I am getting rid of it.  Here is what had happened.  I have worked long enough on files that I do know you can't edit an .html file in Fireworks and that was what was so frustrating because I could not get to the png file even though it was the default editor.  My mistake was that I had set the .png file to edit in Fireworks but forgot that the "slices" are .jpg and .gif.  So....  when I went back to Dreamweaver and set the editor for those file types to Fireworks... it worked.  I opened Fireworks... and then I could choose the .png file that created all those blasted slices, make my changes, and click the "done" button which took me back to Dreamweaver and updated my changes.

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver edit with Fireworks
                Jim_Babbage Level 4

Open Dreamweaver, then open the DW preferences. Go to File Types / Editors and make

sure Fireworks is set as the Primary editor for the formats such as PNG, JPG and GIF. If F is not the Primary editor, change it.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver edit with Fireworks
                  plm206101 Level 1

Hi Jim....  yup!  That was exactly what I did.  I had already set Fireworks as the default for png but forgot the slices were jpg and gif.  It worked for me when I set Fireworks for those files as well.  Thanks for your post.