6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2010 4:27 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Find all instances in footage

sharmstr

Is there a way you can search for an instance of something in footage?  We have footage of a photoshoot that I'm trying sync with the acutaly stills.  I was hoping to figure out a quick way to place a marker on the timeline for every strobe/flash.

thanks

shawn

• 1. Re: Find all instances in footage
          the_wine_snob Level 9

So it's a "flash" that you want to search for, right?

I do not know of a way to define that, and then automate a Search for those characteristics.

Maybe another will have a method, and I will learn something too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Find all instances in footage
            Jim_Simon Level 8

There are only two things Premiere Pro can "scan footage" for that I know of - timecode and speech.  Timecode works flawlessly, speech has it's quirks.  I know of no method for Premiere Pro to scan footage for a visual cue.

• 3. Re: Find all instances in footage
              sharmstr Level 1

hey Hunt,

That's exactly right.  I was thinking that I might be able to use the audio to find the flash, but the music they are playing during the photoshoto drowns it out.  It would be cool to search and find all frames that are mostly white or something.  Then have it automatically create markers in a numeric sequence starting with a user defined number.  Then it would be easy to find the specific still associated with it since the stills are in numeric order.

There's no wave form equivalent for video is there?  Something that would show me spikes of color or lack-there-of in the timeframe?

• 4. Re: Find all instances in footage
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Not automated.

• 5. Re: Find all instances in footage
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As Jim says, not with any form of automation, unfortunately.

I've faced similar, and in a few Projects, went about Cutting out the offending Frames, usually about 3, per flash, but depends of the effective shutter speed of the camera and the duration of the flash. Long, tedious and manual operation. In a few, like a runway fashion show, I just added SFX of various camera shutters, and then on the 5.1 SS "audio stage," positioned them to sort of match the position that the camera occupied, so all viewers knew for sure, that these were flashes from cameras. Same for a play, where members of the audience were shooting flash photography. With a commercial shoot, all still photographers would be required to shoot ambient light, with their cameras' "shutter sound" turned OFF - easy to do in the digital age, but back in analog/film days, often required a blimp for the still camera.

Wish I had better news and some nifty method to locate those flashes, but just do not know of any. If Jim, who does a lot more of this sort of work, does not, I rather doubt that there is any automated way. If you find one, please update this thread.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Find all instances in footage
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This is doable in After Effects. If you bring the question to the After Effects forum, we can help.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion