17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2007 9:52 AM by Newsgroup_User

Saving styles

azrua
      When trying to save properties to my styles panel, the live filter settings won't save. I'm using the box at the top of the styles panel. The settings will retain if I do it at the filters dialog box, but I don't understand why it won't save the other way.

Michele
        • 1. Re: Saving styles
          Level 7
          azrua,

What version of FW and what OS are we talking about?

alex

azrua wrote:
          > When trying to save properties to my styles panel, the live filter settings
          > won't save. I'm using the box at the top of the styles panel. The settings
          > will retain if I do it at the filters dialog box, but I don't understand why it
          > won't save the other way.
          >
          > Michele
          >
          • 2. Re: Saving styles
            azrua Level 1
            8 and XP
            • 3. Re: Saving styles
              Level 7
              azrua,

If you can post the png you are having problems with I will be glad to
              look at it.
              I have not had the problem you are describing. If I create an object and
              give it a set of Live Filter settings, I can then save all the applied
              filters as a Style and use it on other objects.

If you can't post the png, could you describe in more detail the steps
              you are taking?

alex

azrua wrote:
              > 8 and XP
              • 4. Re: Saving styles
                azrua Level 1
                Thanks Alex. While I'm not at the computer containing the files, I will try to describe exactly what I've got. I have a vector drawing constisting of several different paths combined into tow groups. I have a green fill, transparent stroke, an inner bevel and an inner glow, created as 2 live filters. Clicking on the options box at the upper right hand corner of the styles tab of the assets panel, I'll select new style, which brings up a dialog box with all the checkboxes appropriately marked (Fill type and color, stroke type and color, and effect). However, the effect is not actually displayed and is not saved in the style, only the fill and stroke. This also is the case if I click on the New Styles button at the bottom of the panel. Now, if I click on the plus sign on the live filters box and choose Options, Save as style, all the effects are saved. I suppose that there is no real disadvantage to that, but the documentation says the other options should work too.

Any ideas?

Michele
                • 5. Re: Saving styles
                  Level 7
                  azrua,

I am guessing that it has something to do with how you have the objects
                  grouped and/or the objects themselves.

Can you try the same filter settings on a simple object like a circle or
                  a path created with the Pen tool and then see if you can save as a Style
                  from the Style panel?

alex

azrua wrote:
                  > Thanks Alex. While I'm not at the computer containing the files, I will try to
                  > describe exactly what I've got. I have a vector drawing constisting of several
                  > different paths combined into tow groups. I have a green fill, transparent
                  > stroke, an inner bevel and an inner glow, created as 2 live filters. Clicking
                  > on the options box at the upper right hand corner of the styles tab of the
                  > assets panel, I'll select new style, which brings up a dialog box with all the
                  > checkboxes appropriately marked (Fill type and color, stroke type and color,
                  > and effect). However, the effect is not actually displayed and is not saved in
                  > the style, only the fill and stroke. This also is the case if I click on the
                  > New Styles button at the bottom of the panel. Now, if I click on the plus sign
                  > on the live filters box and choose Options, Save as style, all the effects are
                  > saved. I suppose that there is no real disadvantage to that, but the
                  > documentation says the other options should work too.
                  >
                  > Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Michele
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Saving styles
                    azrua Level 1
                    I thought the same thing. I've already tried it.
                    • 7. Re: Saving styles
                      Level 7
                      anyway you could email me the png file?
                      alexmar at mt dot net

azrua wrote:
                      > I thought the same thing. I've already tried it.
                      • 8. Saving styles
                        azrua Level 1
                        png file here you go.
                        • 9. Re: Saving styles
                          azrua Level 1
                          It's sent
                          • 10. Re: Saving styles
                            Level 7
                            I just sent you a reply - alex

azrua wrote:
                            > It's sent
                            • 11. Re: Saving styles
                              azrua Level 1
                              Thanks for all your help Alex. This is just the kind of instruction that you can't find in the manuals!

Michele
                              • 12. Re: Saving styles
                                Level 7
                                Michele,
                                You're welcome. Glad it helped.

alex

azrua wrote:
                                > Thanks for all your help Alex. This is just the kind of instruction that you can't find in the manuals!
                                >
                                > Michele
                                • 13. Re: Saving styles
                                  Level 7
                                  Alex Mariño wrote:
                                  > Michele,
                                  > You're welcome. Glad it helped.
                                  >
                                  > alex
                                  >
                                  > azrua wrote:
                                  >> Thanks for all your help Alex. This is just the kind of instruction
                                  >> that you can't find in the manuals!
                                  >>
                                  >> Michele
                                  alex,

What was the solution? I saw no way of saving a style if there was any
                                  type of group or combined path involved. The effects could be saved
                                  through the property inspector but, no color or stroke options which
                                  makes sense to me. Just curious how you were able to accomplish it.

SKB
                                  • 14. Re: Saving styles
                                    Level 7
                                    Sorry, I should have posted.

I wasn't able to do it either. I ungrouped the objects, copied the
                                    Attributes from the second set of objects (they were both the same),
                                    applied it to a single object and *then* saved it as a style from the
                                    Options drop-down in the Styles Panel.

For some reason the grouped objects which all had the same style, when
                                    selected could not be saved as a style from the Style Panel options drop
                                    down.

alex

SKB wrote:
                                    > Alex Mariño wrote:
                                    >> Michele,
                                    >> You're welcome. Glad it helped.
                                    >>
                                    >> alex
                                    >>
                                    >> azrua wrote:
                                    >>> Thanks for all your help Alex. This is just the kind of instruction
                                    >>> that you can't find in the manuals!
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Michele
                                    > alex,
                                    >
                                    > What was the solution? I saw no way of saving a style if there was any
                                    > type of group or combined path involved. The effects could be saved
                                    > through the property inspector but, no color or stroke options which
                                    > makes sense to me. Just curious how you were able to accomplish it.
                                    >
                                    > SKB
                                    • 15. Re: Saving styles
                                      Level 7
                                      Alex Mariño wrote:
                                      > Sorry, I should have posted.
                                      >
                                      > I wasn't able to do it either. I ungrouped the objects, copied the
                                      > Attributes from the second set of objects (they were both the same),
                                      > applied it to a single object and *then* saved it as a style from the
                                      > Options drop-down in the Styles Panel.
                                      >
                                      > For some reason the grouped objects which all had the same style, when
                                      > selected could not be saved as a style from the Style Panel options drop
                                      > down.
                                      >
                                      > alex

:)
                                      • 16. Re: Saving styles
                                        azrua Level 1
                                        Perhaps in this situation the attributes of the style had to be on the "clipboard" before being saved. I'm just speculating here...
                                        • 17. Re: Saving styles
                                          Level 7
                                          azrua wrote:
                                          > Perhaps in this situation the attributes of the style had to be on the "clipboard" before being saved. I'm just speculating here...

Maybe this command from John Dunning will help?

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/developer/group_commands_fw_cs3.zip

Here's the descritption: Manipulate groups with ease. Paste the contents
                                          of the Clipboard into a selected group without losing any effects that
                                          were applied to the group. Copy attributes of subelements of a selected
                                          group and then paste them into other groups that share the same structure.

This and more on Adobe's site:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/?navID=downloads

--
                                          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                                          Extending Knowledge, Daily
                                          http://www.communityMX.com/
                                          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                                          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                                          ---
                                          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver