2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 10:46 AM by Todd_Kopriva

23.976 fps and exporting to film ...

monem81

dear all ...

i have a project that shot on RED with 23.976 fps ... the final out put will be to film ... so what is the right workflow to do so? can i work directly on this frame rate or i should convert to 24 fps? or i just export to DPX with 24 fps settings? if i want to convert 23.976 fps footage to 24 fps, what should i do? just use interpret footage?

thanks for co-operation

• 1. Re: 23.976 fps and exporting to film ...
          Jim_Simon Level 8

From my reading, I got the impression that films primarily use the 23.976 rate these days, not genuine 24 fps.  (Which is one of the reasons digital cinema cameras and even crystal synced film cameras have the 23.976 rate.)

If that holds true, you should be fine just working and exporting at 23.976.

• 2. Re: 23.976 fps and exporting to film ...
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> if i want to convert 23.976 fps footage to 24 fps, what should i do? just use interpret footage?

If you interpret a 23.976fps movie as a 24.000fps movie, then it will play 0.1% faster, but the images will all be original frames (as opposed to retiming the movie such that it plays at the same rate but with interpolated image information to fill in the in-between frames).

That is often fine. You'd need to make sure to retime your audio by the same amount.