4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 3:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Is there anything I can do to make my long videos play smoothly?

Infinity Focus Photos

okay, so i am recording lectures that tend to last a half hour to an hour.  i am trying to look through it to find parts where the video is shaky or the lecturer messed up, but i can not even get past two minutes before the footage freezes up.  is there anything i can do to make it run smooth?  avi footage, toshiba triple core phenom, four gigs ram, can not remember specific graphics card but it is a little more than what usually come with laptops.  any tips are helpful...  by the way, i want to avoid rendering as it takes forever on my laptop with these huge files.

• 1. Re: Is there anything I can do to make my long videos play smoothly?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. of your source files, and what is you Project Preset?

With playback issues, those two need to match up perfectly, and you will get no line above the Clips in the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is there anything I can do to make my long videos play smoothly?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is that a laptop designed for video editing, with more than one hard drive?

That is at least two PHYSICAL hard drives, not one drive with partitions!

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
            You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
            Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
            You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
            A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
            One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 3. Re: Is there anything I can do to make my long videos play smoothly?
              Infinity Focus Photos Level 1

1920X1080, 29fps, 2993kbps data rate, taken with an insignia camcorder...that's all I know about the footage.  I can't bring up the project preset right now but I know it isn't AVCHD, it's 1080p, NTSC.  Also, my laptop only has one 320GB Hard drive, and I haven't created any partitions.  I also have a 1TB external hard drive (really starting to wish it is portable, but needs to be plugged in all the time).  I am often editing video on the go so I back up my projects on it and have to use the footage on my internal hard drive.

Also, I used AVCHD video from another camcorder, and it played smoother--rendered or unrendered--than what I usually use.  The video was also long, about 30-45 minutes.  Is there some secret about this mystery?

• 4. Re: Is there anything I can do to make my long videos play smoothly?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, even though I have a 3x 250GB SATA II HDD laptop, I often edit on a FW-800 external. All Projects, Assets and Scratch Disks are on the externals. The "trick" is to have the drive letter for each external set in the OS of every machine. That way, whenever I plug it in, and where ever I plug it in, each is the same exact drive letter. As as example, I named them from the end of the alphabet, starting with Z:\, so that Z:\ appears as Z:\ on any of my computers. Same for X:\, Y:\, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt