5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 7:59 PM by Colin Brougham

Is Samsung 2TB 5400RPM ok for backup drive?

Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm purchasing things a bit at a time to add to a workstation I will purchase to run PPro CS4.

I have four Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM drives to use in a four drive setup (non-raid).

Will a Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400RPM 32MB cache be ok to use as a backup drive?

I know 7200RPM drives are faster, but since this will be a backup drive, will it make a big difference?

Also- I've read reviews that said you have to update the buggy firmware or risk loss of data with this particular drive.

Anybody have any experience with this?

• 1. Re: Is Samsung 2TB 5400RPM ok for backup drive?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh, yikes I just put four of those into an external RAID5 for backing up about 5TB of data! Didn't know about the firmware issues--don't think I can do anything about it now!

Other than that, they seemd to work fine for my purposes; I literally just did this about 5 days ago, so now long-term tests of stability yet. Take that for what it's worth

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is Samsung 2TB 5400RPM ok for backup drive?
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I took a chance and ordered one.

I"ll just make sure to update the firmware.

It's not too late to update the firmware for you, is it, Colin?

• 3. Re: Is Samsung 2TB 5400RPM ok for backup drive?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

That, I do not know. The drives are already striped in the RAID 5 and have data copied to them. Apparently, you have to do the firmware update by booting into DOS mode with the drive installed as a primary master. My guess is that--theoretically--none of the data would be affected if I do this--the firmware is on the controller, not the disks--and the RAID 5 should remain intact since it is "designed" to lose a drive and still keep going. I could always recopy everything, but I've got a limited window in which to do that.

Hmmm... any of you more technically-inclined folks know if what I'm talking about doing is possible?

• 4. Re: Is Samsung 2TB 5400RPM ok for backup drive?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

A Drive firmware is on the drive but it is the controller side of the drive and not the mechanical side. However the firmware is also where instructions are held for the drive and the wrong instruction can wipe a drive. I would backup your data before you run the update. There is a reason drive manufacturers strongly recommend you do that before updating the firmware. Another reason is a firmware flash can go bad or you have a power outage at the same time. If that happens the drive is essentially toast.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Is Samsung 2TB 5400RPM ok for backup drive?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Fortunately, all the data currently on this RAID 5 is still in place on the Drobo from whence it came. So, barring any coastering of the HDDs, losing the data on the drives is not a game-ender. Playing with fire is fun.

If anyone should happen to need this firmware, it can be found here on Samsung's site.