11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 11:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Transitions on scenes don't work

MattMaher

Greetings!

Please pardon a newbie question from a newbie user, but I've been searching for the answer to this problem for a couple days now, so I apologize if it has been discussed before.

I am trying to create a wedding video for my wife for Christmas, but I'm running into issues.

Fortunately, the 4 DV tapes I captured imported into Premiere and it saw scenes! I don't know how, since everything I've read said that you had to capture it with Premiere with scene detection on in order for that to happen, but they're there and that cuts out a lot of work of splitting up the four very long tapes.

The problem I'm having is that if I merely drag two clips into either the timeline or the sceneline, then create a simple cross dissolve transition between them, it simply doesn't work.

What happens instead is that the first scene fades to black and the second one pops in. The failed transition doesn't even seem to span the two scenes. It seems to get applied to the end of the first scene and the second one comes in exactly where it starts.

I would very much appreciate any help you could offer...

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

My guess is that your Clips are complete, and that you have not set the IN & OUT Points on the Clips, to give you Handles for the Transition to work. This ARTICLE will give you some background on Handles, what they are, and how they apply to Transitions.

As a test of my guess, Click-drag on the Tail of one of the Clips, and on the Head of the one butting up to it. Shorten each Clip by about 15 Frames +/-, and make sure that they still touch one another. Now, apply your Cross-Dissolve. Do you get what you want? If so, that is because you created Handles with the IN & OUT Point changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
            nealeh Level 5

In addition to checking for handles, you should also zoom the timeline to see where the transition is located. You may have dragged it so that the transition is wholly within the first clip. You may need to nudge it to the right to cover both the end of clip 1 and the start of clip 2.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
              MattMaher Level 1

Thanks for the responses!

Unfortunately it still doesn't seem to work! I clicked and dragged the end of the first clip to make it shorter (this is in timeline mode) and then clicked and dragged the beginning of the second clip to make it shorter. I then went to the Sceneline mode to create the transition (because I'm still not certain how to add it manually to the Timeline mode). But it still doesn't work.

Also, why would I even need to shorten the two videos? Can't I just overlap them and apply the transition to the amount of overlap?

At the moment, in Timeline mode, I have the two clips overlapping, and a transition is applied to video 1 (automatically by the Sceneline mode). I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate.

transition1.png

Now, when playback gets to the beginning of the transition, there is no transition at all, it just goes to Video 2 immediately.

• 4. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                nealeh Level 5

That's correct for your timeline. It works in layers with the upper layers having the priority. If you want to have the second clip show through you need to alter the opacity of the top clip.

But to use a transition put both clips on the one video track and drag your transition to it. You will then see the drop area for the transition.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                  nealeh Level 5

Here you can see the transition on the timeline, straddling two clips. As you can see the transition area is redlined as I have not yet rendered the preview. In the Monitor pane you can see the two clips midway through the dissolve.

1.png

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                    MattMaher Level 1

Ahhh! I see now. I had to have them on the same track! That makes some sense. I think I've got it now. Thanks so much for your help, everyone! As it is, I doubt I'll have this done by Christmas (stupid cold put me out of commission for 3-4 days!) but I'm hopeful I'll at least have something to show on the 25th

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, take a look at Neale's image of the Timeline above. Notice that the Clips are butted up to each other. With PrE, there are only a very few reasons to do what you have, A-B Roll editing. With proper Handles, you can work on one Video Track, butting those Trimmed Clips up to each other (do not leave a gap), and then apply your Transitions to the juncture between those Clips, and you will have what you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                        MattMaher Level 1

Again, thanks so much for the help! This is tremendous.

One last question: is there a more precise way to trim the ends of the clips? I never feel very precise when dragging the ends, because of the distance you need to go before it snaps out of place. The snapping is helpful for putting the pieces together, but not for precise movements.

I hope I explained that clearly enough. I'm not sure what I'm talking about here

• 9. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                          nealeh Level 5

While the PRE methodology allows greater control of the footage used for the transition, it would be nice to have an option in preferences to set a 'Default frames per clip for Transitions'.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                            nealeh Level 5

You can zoom right in so that you can drag one frame at a time. Or double-click the clip to display it in the Preview window from where you can set the in/out points.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: Transitions on scenes don't work
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several ways to Trim a Clip.

One, the one you mentioned, is to Click-drag on the Head, or Tail. If one zooms in to the Frame-level, it is pretty precise.

Another is to use the Source Monitor (Dbl-click on the Clip to Open it in the Source Monitor) and use the IN or OUT Point icons to set that/those.

One can Click on the TimeCode display, and type in the Frame-specific point. The CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) will jump to that exact point. There, one can use the Razor/Scissors Tool to Cut the Clip. Note: PrE is a non-destructive editor, so your original AV file is NOT Cut, or altered in any way. Also, all you have really done is the exact same, as with Clicking-dragging, and if one later Clicked and Dragged that point of the Cut out a few Frames, they would miraculously appear!

One can go to the approximate point they wish to edit, and then use the Arrow Cursor keys to step forward, or backward, Frame-by-Frame, then use one of the above methods to set the IN, or OUT Point, as desired. When Snap is ON, if the CTI has been positioned, Click-dragging to that point will Snap on the CTI and the red Edit Line. Some NLE programs do not do it that way, and if they Click to Drag, the CTI will jump to THAT point. PrE does it differently, and better IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt