3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 8:22 AM by ECBowen

Struggling with connections

Jay Knobbe Level 1

Building my system but am struggling with some of the connectors.

HAF 932 X case with 4 fans

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R  v2.0

i7 950

EVGA GTX 470

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI

Hyper 212 plus cooler with an additional fan

1 Velicoraptor 300gb

4 F3 1tb drives

1 WD Black 1tb 32mb cache

1 WD Black 2tb 64mb cache

Coolermaster 1000w PSU

I added a Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus with 2 fans so I ordered a y connector to plg both into the MOBO. Correct?

The MOBO has a number of connectors for the fans but the case fans all have large 4 pin connectors plugged into the small connectors. What is the best way to connect them? Picture attached.

I'm kind of struggling with what to connect where not wanting to smoke my new system so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, Advice on how to set up these drives?

This is what I was thinking...

WD Velo for the OS

WD 2tb for storage

WD 1tb for back up

and not sure on the 4 F3's

Thank You

• 1. Re: Struggling with connections
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I just built a system this weekend with the same case, CPU, and cooler--different mobo, though. Since this system wasn't being overclocked, I plugged all case fans and the CPU cooler fans into the mobo headers. That connector between your forefinger and middle finger disconnects, giving you the option of plugging into the board.

When you're plugged into the board, the mobo/BIOS can control the fan speed; if you use the Molex connector, the fans run at full speed all the time. On my own build, I used the Molex connectors directly off the power supply, since I was overclocking my system and I was more concerned with maximum cooling than noise--it's still super-quiet with four case fans, two CPU cooler fans, six hard drives, and an i7 930 @ 4.0GHz.

If you're not OC'ing, I'd suggest just plugging them into the mobo; less cable to deal with then, and the system will handle the fan speeds.

• 2. Re: Struggling with connections
            Jay Knobbe Level 1

That is helpful. Thanks

The fan headers are identified by sysfan1 (3 pin), sys_fan2 (4 pin) , sys_fan3 (3 pin), pwr_fan (3 pin) and the CPU_fan (for the CPU cooler fans)

Not certain which fan should plug in to which header connector.

I've got a fan in the front, the rear, top and side of the case.

Ideas?

• 3. Re: Struggling with connections
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The CPU Fan goes into the CPU fan port. Other than that the others do not matter which port you use for which.

Eric

ADK