5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 12:53 PM by John T Smith

Stop Pre 9 consistantly crashing during Preview...

RayJoCal

I am a little new to video editing so please bear with me if I don't give all the information needed to solve this problem on the first try.  I got Pre 9 about a week ago and have not been able to go a single editing session withiout multiple crashes.  I either recieve the "Sorry, serious error, trying to save your work" message or the Windows 7 "this program has stopped unexpectedly" message everytime I try to preview my project in the Moniter window. It might play one or two scenes, but never makes it through the 40 second movie I currently have.  The project is a DV NTSC with a mix of mostly still images and one mpeg-2 clip, very rarely makes it to the clip so I don't think that is the problem. I am using a Windows 7 Desktop with Extended Desktop.  I have 8gb DRAM, Intel i5 CPU, Intel HD Graphics chip, and a 1TB hard drive with a 500GB Data partition.  I do have Norton Internet Security, but I have disabled it entirely each time I tried to use Pre.  I tried disabling the extended desktop, but that didn't change anything.  I tried turning off the sound just in case the Realtek HD Audio was the problem, no such luck.  I have all unessesary processes stopped.  I tried deleting the Data partition, but it didn't make a bit of difference.  I know everybody recommends having two hard drives, but that just isn't possible for me at this time.  I am really pulling my hair out on this thing.  I've resorted to burning the project to a DVD+RW and just watching that to see how the project is progressing.  It does get a little old after a while to have to burn a disc each time I want to see if I am editing the timeline correctly.  Any suggestions as to a solution would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Stop Pre 9 consistantly crashing during Preview...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of your still images? See this ARTICLE on Scaling stills for use in an NLE (Non Linear Editor).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Stop Pre 9 consistantly crashing during Preview...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Some tips on making sure that your system is ready for editing with PrE:

• Update your audio and video drivers, from the mfgr's. site (do not trust Windows to get the most recent drivers)
            • Check that you have the latest Apple QuickTime Player installed
            • Check that you have ~ 50GB of defragmented free space on your editing HDD
            • Shut down any/all anti-virus (especially "real time" av programs), spy-sweeping, or pop-up blocking software
            • Turn OFF any Screen Savers

For troubleshooting the hangs/crashes, this ARTICLE might get you started setting up your computer for an editing session.

For your partitions, you might want to see this ARTICLE.

If nothing is helping, from above, then see this ARTICLE to find clues as to what is happening, when the program shuts down, or hangs.

Last, if all has failed to solve the issues, see the AV linked in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Stop Pre 9 consistantly crashing during Preview...
              RayJoCal Level 1

Well after reading your article and deciphering what it meant for a more casual editor.  I am glad to say that for the first time ever the video played without crashing.  My stills were just too large for the frame size I was using (720x480).  I didn't realize that by having images that were so much larger than the frame I would be forcing Pre to do a lot of extra work.  Thank You, thank you, thank you.  I was just about ready to take this thing back to the store where I bought it and demand my money back (hopefully).  I love the control that Pre gives you over the timing and placement of clips and titles and transitions.  It was just a whole lot of hassle to burn a DVD every time I wanted to view the project.  Hopefully this will be a once and forever fix to my problem.  I will be sure to see that my resolutions match up better.

• 4. Re: Stop Pre 9 consistantly crashing during Preview...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

So very glad that we could help, and am happy that you are now editing smoothly.

As you can see from the list of articles and links, there are lots of things that can get in the way of video editing. I rather used a "scatter-gun" approach, in hopes that my guesses were correct, and if so, might save you some time, answering a bunch of questions. Hey, sometimes the "magic works... "

With the large images, the program basically has to ingest all the extra pixels, and then Scale things down to the Frame Size. Having images a bit larger is useful, if one is Panning on a Zoomed out image, but otherwise, I am a stickler for doing all of my Scaling in PS, as it is designed to do just that - manipulate still images. I seldom have even a single row of extra pixels, unless I need it for some reason. As of now, PrE still falls behind PS with regard to its Scaling algorithms, so quality WILL suffer to some degree. If you read down that article, there are addenda, for PrPro CS5, as it changed that aspect, but there is still the matter of the processing overhead - if the pixels are not needed, the program still has to push 'em around, and that takes resources.

If other problems do crop up, take a look at the other articles. I also tried to list them pretty much in order, of how I'd go at things.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Stop Pre 9 consistantly crashing during Preview...
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>everybody recommends having two hard drives, but that just isn't possible

There is a reason for that... Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                  You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                  Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                  You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                  A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
                  One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                  - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                  - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
                  - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

And even more hardware discussion http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum