7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 9:32 PM by Jim_Simon

Buy or Build??

Tym_Ribich

Need to replace my aging editing PC and considering the options.

Building:

While I'm pretty comfortable doing basic things such as replacing HDs, memory, boards and such, I've always thought that building a system from scratch-- with my limited experience-- would be a mistake. But some of the "build your own" videos I've seen make the build process look fairly straight-forward. Do they make it look TOO simple?

Buying:

I expect pricing is all over the map, but in general if one built their own system for around $3k, approximately how much would that same system be from a typical vendor? I'm having a hard time making that comparison given the variety of choices out there.

• 1. Re: Buy or Build??
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I think the trickiest part of building your own is making sure to set the CPU properly in the motherboard, and install the fan properly.  Those are probably the two biggest issues that can kill the build.

But they're really not that hard if you follow the instructions carefully.

I've seen savings ranging from 50% to over 200% for similarly spec'd build-your-own systems.  Plus, you don't have to deal with any of the crapware that every pre-built computer comes with.  You install only the software you actually need to do the job.

I know I'll never buy a pre-built computer again.

Now, the down side is you get no tech support building it yourself.  I know people who are fully capable of assembling the hardware, but don't have the time or desire to deal with any issues that may arise.  They want the service that comes with a pre-built rig, even if that service is little more than a toll-free number connecting to a foreign language script-jockey, so they spend more money to go that route.

• 2. Re: Buy or Build??
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I build my own (and for others in my family) but if you don't want to build...

Desktop Video Editing PC http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

• 3. Re: Buy or Build??
              Tym_Ribich Level 1
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I've seen savings ranging from 50% to over 200% for similarly spec'd build-your-own systems.  Plus, you don't have to deal with any of the crapware that every pre-built computer comes with.  You install only the software you actually need to do the job.

Hi Jim,

Yeah as far as comparing the relative costs, while I haven't priced it out piece by piece, that's definitely the impression that I'm getting. I'm hoping that if I go the DIY route that after I have one successful build under my belt that I'll wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Of course on the other side of the coin-- me hanging my head in despair as smoke & flames shoot out of my masterpiece-- I suppose I could rue the day.

• 4. Re: Buy or Build??
                Tym_Ribich Level 1
                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

John T Smith wrote:

I build my own (and for others in my family) but if you don't want to build...

Desktop Video Editing PC http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

John,

Isn't the notebook sold by Sager the same as the units sold by ADK?

• 5. Re: Buy or Build??
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I said, I build my own... so those links are only for reference, not from personal knowledge

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 570 that is cooler and quieter and faster

• 6. Re: Buy or Build??
                    wb_martin Level 1

Build yourself.  You learn so much more that ends up being helpful down the road.  Of course, you have to

have the time and be willing to do it.

• 7. Re: Buy or Build??
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I would now go with a GTX 570 that is cooler and quieter and faster

And quite a bit more expensive.  You can get a GTX 460 with more onboard memory (2GB), which makes a difference to Premiere Pro, for about 65% of the cost and probably the same performance inside of Premiere.  (And it's quieter than my case fans.)