13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 4:04 AM by Yammer

Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S

fraserireland

I have a Nikon D300S.  I can't open RAW files in Adobe CS4.  Screen message is 'Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document'.  I understood from this Adobe website that the fix was to download Camera Raw 5_5.  I've done that and the same screen message appears.  What am I doing wrong / what do I need to do to fix the problem.   If you can list a step by step process in the plainest terms possible then that would be appreciated.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ACR 5.7 was the last version for CS4 so I'd try that instead of 5.5.

What version of the plug-in do you see listed in Help / About Plug-ins... / Camera RAW, and do you have more than one Camera RAW listed, there?

It sounds like you may have both the old and newer versions installed, now, and PS is using the older one, still.  The solution is to find the old ones and replace them with the newer version.

If need by search your entire hard-drive for Camera RAW.8bi including in hidden and system folders and copy the newer .8bi file over the top of the older ones.

• 2. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
            fraserireland Level 1

Thanks.  I installed what I understand is called patch 11.0.2 today.  I've deleted Camera RAW5-5 and the related DNG and replaced with 5.7.  Unfortunately the same 'could not complete.........not got the right kind of document' message appears when attempting to open a RAW file.   I'm not sure what to try next,  Grafeful for any further advice.  I'm not very familier with the tech terms or the Adobe website so the most basic explanation is sought please.  Thanks

• 3. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S

Help / About Plug-ins... / Camera RAW shows what version?"

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                fraserireland Level 1

Hi and thanks again.  If I'm following correctly the version shown is 5..0.0.178.

• 5. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Then you have not correctly updated Camera Raw...

To be clear (and needed for really basic troubleshooting) you need to indicate your OS and EXACTLY how you updated Camera Raw...

• 6. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                    Yammer Level 4

Have you tried the "Updates..." item on the "Help" menu of Photoshop? Or have you been downloading updates from the website? It might be worth trying both methods.

• 7. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                      Andrew_Hart Level 2

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Then you have not correctly updated Camera Raw...

To be clear (and needed for really basic troubleshooting) you need to indicate your OS and EXACTLY how you updated Camera Raw...

Jeff,

Is the D300S supported by ACR 5.7? I thought it (the camera) was released after 5.7. If so, won't the OP have to rely upon the DNG converter until he upgrades to CS5 and ACR 6.x?

• 8. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                        Andrew_Hart Level 2

My mistake. Just read the 5.7 ReadMe file and the D300s is supported. In fact, it was newly supported in 5.5.

• 9. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S

Is there an extra period or a missing digit?  Camera RAW versions numbers should not have two periods in a row.

• 10. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

The key point here is to have the OP post basic troubleshooting info so we can help him. The fact is, we don't know if he's on Mac or Windows so we can't really even direct him to the correct download.

This is a continuing problem here in the forum...if you want help, help us help you.

Basic info regarding OS, Platform, Photoshop version and EXACT camera model are needed.

• 11. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                              fraserireland Level 1

Firstly thanks to all who are trying to assist.  I appreciate your spending time on this.   Hopefully this additional info will help:

(1) the camera is a Nikon D300s.  I'm not aware of any model details beyond this   It was bought c9 months ago.

(2) I bought Adobe CS4 before buying the Nikon D300s.   I've used CS4 to convert RAW files from my other cameras - a Nikon D2H and a Minolta Dimage - without any bother at all.

(3) CS4 is loaded onto my Windows based PC in to the Windows 'Downloads' folder.  I'm not using any Mac computers.

(4) The procedure I followed to upload the Adobe files was:

(a)  I clicked 'Help' - About Plug-in - Camera Raw.  Info on screen says 'Version 5.0.0.178

(b)  In looking at the Adobe support web pages (I can't now find which one it was) it indidated I should check for updates.  I downloaded and saved  Photoshop_11.0.2_mul_AdobeUpdate.  Its filed in my 'Downloads' folder in Windows.

(c) I used the Adobe search engine using an enquiry "CS4 Camera Raw Updates'.  This produced a page with box at the top and 2 headings 'Digital camera raw file support' and 'Adobe camera raw and DNG convertor downloads'.  Under this second heading there are choices to click for Widows and Mac OS.  I selected Windows.  The result produces a list of Updates / Programmes.   I selected Adobe DNG Convertor 5.5 update and Camera Raw 5.5 update and downloaded both into my Windows 'Downloads' folder.  I chose these because according to the list info they were relevanf for the Nikon D300s.  I attempted to open a photo taken from the D300s in Raw and the photo would not open - the usual '......not the right document' message.

(d) from Forum contributions I then deleted version 5.5 of both files downloaded at (c) above and installed version 5.7 and then tried to view the Raw image again, Same result.  This is the up to date position as at this post.

Have I missed a step somewhere? eg should there be a step forcing a link from the downloaded updates to CS4 or do the downloads automatically link to CS4 when the download is complete?

Any furhter help you can offer is appreciated.  Thanks.

Message was edited by: fraserireland

• 12. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                                Yammer Level 4

fraserireland wrote:

(1) the camera is a Nikon D300s.  I'm not aware of any model details beyond this   It was bought c9 months ago.

(2) I bought Adobe CS4 before buying the Nikon D300s.   I've used CS4 to convert RAW files from my other cameras - a Nikon D2H and a Minolta Dimage - without any bother at all.

(3) CS4 is loaded onto my Windows based PC in to the Windows 'Downloads' folder.  I'm not using any Mac computers.

(4) The procedure I followed to upload the Adobe files was:

(a)  I clicked 'Help' - About Plug-in - Camera Raw.  Info on screen says 'Version 5.0.0.178

(b)  In looking at the Adobe support web pages (I can't now find which one it was) it indidated I should check for updates.  I downloaded and saved  Photoshop_11.0.2_mul_AdobeUpdate.  Its filed in my 'Downloads' folder in Windows.

(c) I used the Adobe search engine using an enquiry "CS4 Camera Raw Updates'.  This produced a page with box at the top and 2 headings 'Digital camera raw file support' and 'Adobe camera raw and DNG convertor downloads'.  Under this second heading there are choices to click for Widows and Mac OS.  I selected Windows.  The result produces a list of Updates / Programmes.   I selected Adobe DNG Convertor 5.5 update and Camera Raw 5.5 update and downloaded both into my Windows 'Downloads' folder.  I chose these because according to the list info they were relevanf for the Nikon D300s.  I attempted to open a photo taken from the D300s in Raw and the photo would not open - the usual '......not the right document' message.

(d) from Forum contributions I then deleted version 5.5 of both files downloaded at (c) above and installed version 5.7 and then tried to view the Raw image again, Same result.  This is the up to date position as at this post.

Nikon D300s support was introduced with Camera Raw 5.5. Camera Raw 5.7 is the latest and greatest version for Photoshop CS4, and is the one you should install.

You can download it here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4683

(3) CS4 is loaded onto my Windows based PC in to the Windows 'Downloads' folder.
                                I'm not using any Mac computers.

That sounds a bit "suspicious". The Downloads folder is where your browser puts things you have downloaded from the web, NOT where things are "installed"; I'm not sure what you mean by "loaded". Once you have downloaded an update it must be installed. In the case of the ACR 5.7 update, you must first unzip the update into a temporary folder, open the folder and then run the setup.exe program to install the update.

Similarly, if you've downloaded a Photoshop update, that must be installed too. Simply leaving it in the downloads folder does nothing.

• 13. Re: Cant open RAW files from Nikon D300S
                                  Yammer Level 4

Sorry, I also meant to say that, if you use the "Updates..." item in Photoshop's "Help" menu, it invokes the Adobe Updater application, which handles the downloads and installations for you.

Some people have had problems with the Adobe Updater, and prefer to do updates themselves. Personally, it's always worked for me. As they say, "your mileage may vary".