12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 6:45 AM by the_wine_snob

avi problems

andy1946569

Hi, I have imported some avi files into a new project today.

They have taken a long time to appear in the workspace and don't show any video in the timeline or monitor when I try and use them. The sound is fine.

These clips were shot with a simple handheld camera and previously shot video has worked fine from this device.

So, I tested the clips to make sure they were ok and they played perfectly well in ms mediaplayer. Hmm... so I then imported some other avi files shot with my Sony mini Dv cam and they were fine, no problems.

I have uninstalled Miro, and then reinstalled Premiere Elements with no success.

Do I have a corrupted codec, or a problem with other software interfering with this? Can someone help please.

Andy Brooks

Adobe Premiere Elements 7

Intel Quad core

4gb ram

Windows 7 home edition

• 1. Re: avi problems
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What is the source of those AVIs? They may not use a standard video codec or may use a codec (like MJPEG) that Premiere Elements can't work with.

The easiest way to find out which codec your AVI uses is to open the file in Windows Media Player and then go to File/Properties. The Properties screen will list the video and audio codecs.

• 2. Re: avi problems
            the_wine_snob Level 9

AVI is practically a meaningless detail, as it is just a "wrapper," and what is inside that wrapper is all important. This ARTICLE will give you background, and tell you how to "peek inside" that wrapper.

My first guess will be that you have either DivX, or Xvid material. Second guess is MJPEG.

Good luck, and please let us know what is inside the AVI's.

Hunt

• 3. Re: avi problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If it is MJPEG, then this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: avi problems
                andy1946569 Level 1

Hello chaps, thanks for the pointers. I have looked at the 'properties' when running in ms mediaplayer and it comes up as blank. There are details of aspect ratio and size but the codec field is blank??? So, I have now tried a file from my Sony mini DV camera and that has no codec data showing either, although it does work fine in PE7. The video is coming from a handheld called a "Veho Kuzo", as I say the clips play fine in mediaplayer. Andy

• 5. Re: avi problems
                  andy1946569 Level 1

I have just run a search on the codec and its H.264... is this compatible with PE7?

Andy

• 6. Re: avi problems
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With an H.264 CODEC installed, PrE can edit most H.264 files. However, some mfgrs. tweak their CODEC's, so often a "regular" similar CODEC will not work. In those cases, if one is fortunate, the camera mfgr. will offer their flavor of the CODEC, either in the camera driver, on the disc for separate install, or as part of video editing software on the utility disc.

H.264 (one version of it) is installed along with Apple's QT Player, which is needed for PrE to be fully functional. If you have a recent version of QT Player, you should have the h.264 CODEC. For some background on CODEC's, this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: avi problems

I disagree, Bill, that Premiere Elements can edit an H.264-AVI. That may be a bit of a stretch, even with the codec installed on the user's computer.

I think he'll likely need to use a program like Quicktime Pro or Super to convert it to an editable format.

• 8. Re: avi problems
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I've edited a few H.264's and not really had any difficulties. Just did one recently, and I am still on PrE 4.0. Now, I do have the MainConcept H.264, so that might be part of it. Also, these were SD Projects, but I'd guess that other than a bit more processing overhead, things should not be THAT different.

I get both smooth Video (has a red line, but plays smoothly enough on my laptop, that I do not bother to Render), and full Audio. What problems would you anticipate? Could be that I am just lucky here.

Hunt

[Edit] Now, my H.264's were in an MP4 wrapper, and not an AVI wrapper, but I cannot imagine that would make a big difference, but could well be wrong.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 9. Re: avi problems
                          andy1946569 Level 1

This has been very useful, many thanks to you both.

I have a conversion program already, Jesterware, which I used last night to convert the video.

It wasn't straightforward as it offers a number of different conversion formats and took a while to get one that worked well and included sound.

So, my clips are now wma, but I will try and see if there is something on the installtion disk that negates this step  before I carry on.

Thanks again, Merry Christmas.

Andy

• 10. Re: avi problems

WMA files are Windows audio files. That's certainly not the best format for a video -- particularly if you plan to edit it in Premiere Elements!

Is that your plan? To edit this video? If so, your best bet is DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 11. Re: avi problems
                              andy1946569 Level 1

Yes of course, they are wmv's with wma audio.

Thanks, Andy

• 12. Re: avi problems
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Andy,

WMV is a heavily-compressed format (using one of several CODEC's), that is great for displaying streaming Video, but is not a good choice for editing.

First, while PrE can Import WMV files, it takes a lot of horsepower to decompress those files for editing. In that process, the files are also converted from GOP to I-frame, for Frame-specific editing. This ARTICLE will give you some background on GOP. Next, one has lost a great deal of information/data with that compression, and if they later go to DVD, or BD, there will be additional compression. The more compression steps, that one can eliminate, the higher the quality of the output files.

What is your intended delivery scheme? How do you wish to play the resultant files?

Good luck,

Hunt