13 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 10:23 AM by digitlman

Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?

mambo88 Level 1

Hello,

I have an 120gb SSD in use for my C: drive.

The "Media Cache Files" and "Media Cache Database" are on default on the C: disk - which is in my case a SSD which is faster than my 7200 RPM D: drive.

The scratchdisk's default location is in the project map, which are always on the 7200 RPM D: drive.

Now my question: Which files should i store on the SSD - and which ones on the 7200 RPM drive ? The best of course would be having all on the SSD but the simple truth is its only 120gb and more than half is used for system files etc already.

Will i get a noticable performance improvement if i use the SSD as scratchdisk ?

Will i get a noticable performance loss if i use the 7200 RPM drive for my Media Cache Files and Database ?

Also more on that topic: when (no matter on what drive) are de Media Cache Files and Database automaticly deleted ? How does this work, because if it wouldn't delete anything automaticly, after 30 projects you computer must be full with these Media Cache Files...

And the same question for the scratschdisk ? although i can imagine you have to do that manually since its in the project map anyway.

Thank's all !

Mambo

• 1. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> are de Media Cache Files and Database automaticly deleted ?

No.

See "Move or clean the media cache database".

> Now my question: Which files should i store on the SSD - and which ones on the 7200 RPM drive ?

I've seen people reporting good experience with running the OS and applications from a solid-state "disk" drive (SSD).

I've also seen people reporting problems with large numbers of writes/rewrites/overwrites on SSDs, which makes me think that they're not good as data disks or scratch disks. I don't have any personal experience with this, so take this with a grian of salt.

I'd put my OS and applications on an SSD and use machanical disk drives for my data and scratch disks.

• 2. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Which files should i store on the SSD - and which ones on the 7200 RPM drive ?

The database should be fine on the SSD.  The files are very small.  But the actual media cache files can get quite large and really add up.  Put them on a hard disk.

• 3. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
              mambo88 Level 1

My OS and applications are on my SSD anyway - that's why i bought it in the first place, as the system drive of my computer.

So what you guys are saying is: Put the "system" (OS+apps) files on the SSD as well as the Media Cache Databse (small filesize) and put the Media Cache Files and the scratchdisks on my mechanical drive ?

Now my Media Cache Files (products of "conforming media" in premiere / ae) are on the SSD. Once i move them to the mechanical drive, will i experience a noticable loss of performance ? (will my video's conform slower ?)

• 4. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

No. The speed advantage of SSD's is mostly marketing hype and not noticeable when editing. Extensive testing with 8 SSD's versus 8 conventional 7200 disks in a raid did not show any benefit at all, in fact it was even slightly slower than conventional disks.

• 5. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                  mambo88 Level 1

Thank you ! That solves my question.

• 6. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good and useful comments, as always Harm.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                      Paul Joy (UK) Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

No. The speed advantage of SSD's is mostly marketing hype and not noticeable when editing. Extensive testing with 8 SSD's versus 8 conventional 7200 disks in a raid did not show any benefit at all, in fact it was even slightly slower than conventional disks.

I have to disagree, I use two apple 512Gb SSD's in my mac, one holds my os & apps (as well as the media cache database) and the other is used as a scratch disk.

Media is read from the SSD at around 200MB/s, that's faster than my e-sata G-Raid let alone a standard internal SATA drive. It's also very quiet

• 8. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                        JaysonM-Y Level 3

Paul Joy (UK) wrote:

I use two apple 512Gb SSD's in my mac...

...faster than my e-sata G-Raid...

The key points that almost makes your post irrelevant to the OP and Harm's post.

• 9. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                          Paul Joy (UK) Level 1

JaysonM-Y-nfF2M4 wrote:

The key points that almost makes your post irrelevant to the OP and Harm's post.

I'm sorry, I could have sworn the OP asked....

Will i get a noticable performance improvement if i use the SSD as scratchdisk ?

And I'm pretty sure the post I replied to said

No. The speed advantage of SSD's is mostly marketing hype and not noticeable when editing

Both of which I replied to about my experiences that differ from what's already been said.

How is that irrelevant?

• 10. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                            JaysonM-Y Level 3

Sorry for being vague, Paul. I said 'almost' irrelevant. You have different Hardware than OP and a different setup. Also that your raid was an e-sata G-Raid drive.... which really doesn't count when compared to a raid controller.

• 11. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                              Paul Joy (UK) Level 1

I replied to the post that said the speed advantage of SSD's is mostly marketing hype. In my case that's certainly not true and that may be the case for the OP or anybody else reading this thread. In fact my SSD's deliver media at more than twice the speed of my SATA drives so I'd say there's a huge difference.

I'm not sure why the RAID thing has been brought up. My comment about the G-RAID was simply to highlight the fact that my SSD's also outperform that, which is why I switched to them.

To the original poster, As you already said, your SSD drive is faster then a single 7200 drive so would be great for all of these tasks. Your problem though is that you really don't have enough space on it so I'd do as was recommended earlier and put the media database on the SSD and the actual media on the hard-drive, that way your making the most of the resources you have without much risk of filling up the OS drive.

The reality though is that the 7200 drive will probably do the job just fine unless your using some seriously heavy bandwidth footage or compositing multiple tracks. it will be very apparent if the media is not being delivered fast enough.

Edit: re-hashed it slightly.

• 12. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                                nahawand

Paul Joy (UK) wrote:

In fact my SSD's deliver media at more than twice the speed of my SATA drives so I'd say there's a huge difference.

+1 on this,

SSDs are really fast, putting your system on an SSD does magic to the performance of your computer.. and I really mean the word MAGIC coz I've been on same system with hardrive then upgraded to an OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD.. the editing experience is completely different, application lauch in seconds, projects load very fast, everything is snappy and ready for your order..

on the RAID side, whatever how fast your setup is with spinning drives, you'll never reach the speed of the SSDs in term of small files access, this the real strenth of the SSD, which the key to the "MAGIC" I mentioned above..

I have the same question about media cache files, which I always choose to put it beside originals, does benefit from being on the SSD? does premiere benefit from the fast reads of the small files for media cache files? or the difference wouldn't be that much.. with 240GB and being very restrictive on what to install on the system disk I think I'd be ok with the space..

my problem is that the media cache files are getting re-genereted every time I open some projects which would kill any space, that's another issue which I couldn't find a solution to..

all the best,

• 13. Re: Media Cache Files / Media Cache Database / Scratchdisk on SSD drive ?
                                  digitlman Level 1

++1 on the SSD speed also, obviously there are older models with issues but i gotta say the latest SSD drives are crushing the competition. the latest OCZ vertex 3 drives are hitting 550MB/sec and almost maxxing out SATA3 connections by themselves. In raid0 sets you can max out your entire system bandwidth with these things.

As far as the OP's dilemma it is a real toss-up, unlike a regular hard drive there is no disadvantage to having your OS, pagefile, and adobe cache files all on an SSD. it can access all of them instantly at the same time. however if you dont have a super fast SSD then it's not going to work as well as seperate drives and may slow you down, and you dont seem to have enough space anyways.

I prefer SSD drive for OS, then another SSD for the temp/cache files and i have 20GB ram and turn off my pagefile.

good luck