12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 1:17 PM by Luke Flegg

Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!

Luke Flegg Level 1

Kinda mentioned this in another discussion but think it needs to be raised as it's own separate issue.

Obviously on most (if not all) systems, Premiere punishes you for sharing resources with other intensive programs, but I'm talking about something else.

Even if I jump to Explorer for 2 seconds just to make a new folder, returning to premiere will take 10-15 minutes*

It's impossible for me to work under these conditions and any help would be enormously appreciated!!

Roughly, Premiere takes 1 second to switch to PER clip.

There's just too many things like this in Prem, wrecking my workflow... Anyone here seen how Edius literally scrubs through full HD like a hot knife through butter? Also seems to do pretty much the same tricks with realtime effects!?

And zero 'wake up' time when I switch back to it. In fact my experiences with Edius and most other competition has had so many fewer progress bars and hourglasses than Premiere.

*10-15 with a large (1,000-1,500 clips) project; average clip duration in my case was ~30 secs (14hrs timeline total; 720/60p)

--

Specs

i7 920 D0

6gb hi spec ram (2.5-3.5gb used by prem)

p6td deluxe

SSD system drive

video on pretty good SATA hdds

GTX480

Prem CS5 w/CUDA hack

Details

Uninstalled everything adobe

Used clean script

Reinstalled CS% (prod premium)

No luck

• 1. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Have you updated to 5.0.3?  This issue was resolved.

• 2. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
            Luke Flegg Level 1

Yes, everything is all latest versions/updates : ]

• 3. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Hmm.  I think you may be the first to come here with this issue after the update.  Not sure where to go next.

• 4. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                Luke Flegg Level 1

No one else up to date  is getting this issue?

How long does it take for you guys to switch to Prem with a bin of hunreds/thousands of clips?

I've tried importing the (XDCAM EX) footage with Browser and just dropping the mp4s directly in...

• 5. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The switch is fairly instantaneous on my system.

• 6. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                    vikti

hundred/thousand of clips ?

I think it is more a problem of disk acces, isn't?

Maybe your system have to acces to a too large umber of files to redisplay Premiere pro on switching. For this case you probably have to switch on a raid 0 system of system with a bigger read rate.

I have poor performance with CS5 on a dell T5400 (it was better on CS3 on a laptop dual core...) with hdv. I have to wait minutes when crossing over the timeline on a clip with a simple 'level' effect.....

But I am still in 5.0.0 so I will upgrade first.

• 7. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I think it is more a problem of disk acces, isn't?

No, it was a bug that didn't correlate to the number of clips.  Though I could imagine having too little memory and Windows needed to access the swap when switching.  That could well cause such a delay.

• 8. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                        Luke Flegg Level 1
                        For this case you probably have to switch on a raid 0 system of system with a bigger read rate.

I have poor performance with CS5 on a dell T5400 (it was better on CS3 on a laptop dual core...) with hdv. I have to wait minutes when crossing over the timeline on a clip with a simple 'level' effect.....

I think my system should cope a fair bit better with it than a T5400. And with my test of 5 layers of 1080p with 10 effects on it still plays back 100% smooth (and that's all 4 clips [which are 35mbps] reading from one drive)

But having said that, I do have a slightly strange thing in the 'Windows Experience Index' where I have high scores in all areas except Primary HDD which only shows 6.5 out of 7.9... Strange to me, as it's a good SSD (and it was definitely at least 7.4 once! so I don't know what changed; I think it was when I put in the GTX480 and moved the SATA connections around, but I THINK I put them all back in high speed ports...)

: )

• 9. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Luke,

Your problem is probably a combination of factors here: Very limited memory, only 6 GB, and a single HDD to work from and a SSD that is limited in writing speed.

The fact that your WEI score was once 7.4 and is now down to 6.5 shows that it is not trimming very efficiently, if at all. Relocating your media cache to the conventional HDD may help. Increasing your memory to at least 12 GB will definitely help as will adding a number of conventional HDD's.

You have to keep in mind that the advanced memory management in CS5, which prevents using the swap file as much as possible, also means it will release memory when switching to another program and reloading stuff when PR is in the foreground. With only limited memory and only a single disk to work from that entails a lot of activity on the system and can be the cause of delays, especially with a large number of clips.

Your memory will probably run at 1066 if you have not changed anything in the BIOS and that will entail a further penalty on performance.

• 10. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                            Luke Flegg Level 1

Thanks Harm,

Any idea why the WEI score would've dropped though?

Seems so strange. The drives feels very healthy; loading 64bit Photoshop in around 3 seconds...

I'll also try changing media cache.

• 11. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem is that during WEI testing there are a number of files read and written to the primary disk. My guess is that on your first try the SSD was relatively clean, so all writes were consecutive and the score came out at 7.4. Now, after having used the SSD for some time, your score deteriorated to 6.5, because of the flaw in SSD design, that causes a severe performance hit on writes after deletes. It is somewhat similar to disk fragmentation on conventional disks, although much more severe. That is where trimming comes in handy, because it alleviates this write speed degradation.

Don't hold me against these figures, but it is not uncommon to see read speeds of say 220+ MB/s and write speeds of 140+ MB/s advertised. These figures usually apply to new disks and without trimming after some time these figures may change to something like 200+ R and 50+ W. It is this slow down in Write speeds that kills the benefit of SSD's. Trimming has gone a long way to solve that issue by around 90% but not all SSD's have the trimming function and when using raids, the number of controllers that support trimming is still very small.

The WEI is not a real good measure of performance. For instance the Velociraptor is always 5.9, despite being a very fast and capable conventional disk. If you were to use WEI to measure the performance of another disk or array, things would look completely different, like below:

WEI.jpg

This is a run with an overclocked i7-920 at 3.6 GHz with only 12 GB 1333 memory, running @ 1500 MHz, and a large raid30 array.

BTW, loading PS in 3 seconds in pretty normal for conventional disks as well. It is about 2 seconds on my Velociraptor.

• 12. Re: Premiere always freezes for SEVERAL MINUTES  when switching from anything!
                                Luke Flegg Level 1

Hmm. I'm familiar with trimming; chose the Intel X25-M 120gb because it was great for trimming, specially on Win7; but more than this I think your suggestion is probably not the case because that score was consistent for months, then changed suddenly after cleaning/reinstalling Adobe and moving from an Antec 900 to a HAF932 (and installing GTX480)...

I really think I'm getting a longer wake up time than other people with similar specs; even with projects of a couple of hundred clips, it's still several minutes.

That surely can't be right, or else I can't use Adobe anymore as competitors don't have that issue!!