8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

How to get HD quality files

Vagen2

I have a HD Camera Sony HDR CX115E. I save the movies on an external harddisc in format AVCHD  (MTS-files). I can import these into Premiere Elements, but I want to create files to save on the harddisc and then watch them via a Mediaplayer on my full HD TV. My mediaplayer or TV do not support AVCHDformat so I have to save my files in another format. Do anyone know how to do? Of course I want to have the full HD-quality even after.

• 1. Re: How to get HD quality files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

By "Mediaplayer" do you mean Windows Media Player?

If so, the best format to save to is a high-def WMV file.

However, WMV files are compressed -- and hi-def WMV files can run rather slowly if you don't have a powerful enough computer to play them.

So it's worth a try. But Windows Media Player probably isn't the best app for playing hi-def video on your TV. (BluRay discs are.)

• 2. Re: How to get HD quality files
            Vagen2 Level 1

Thank you.

I don't mean Windows Media Player. I have got an external mediaplayer - Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player. And that mediaplayer do not support AVCHD-files so I have to convert hem or.....

The mediaplayer supports following videoformats:

VMV9, AVI (MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV (h.264, x264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), MOV (MPEG4, H.264), MT2S, TP, TS, MOV/MP4 (MPEG4, h,264), DVR-MS, VOBN (unprotected or unencrypted

• 3. Re: How to get HD quality files

From the specs you've posted, it appears the Mediaplayer DOES play AVCHD files! But oh well.

Assuming you've loaded your camcorder footage into a Premiere Elements project set up with the correct preset and that you've finished you're editing, you should use Share/Computer/MPEG using the H.264 1920x1080 preset. This will produce a hi-def MP4 file.

Otherwise, it might be better to post this question to the Mediaplayer web site and get some specifics from them.

• 4. Re: How to get HD quality files
                Vagen2 Level 1

Thanks very much

I have been in contact with Western Digital and they say that the WD TV HD Live Media Player does not support format AVCHD. So what I can see I have to buy another mediaplayer. The information I got when I bought WD TV HD Live Media Player was that is support almost every format, but reality shows anotherwise.

• 5. Re: How to get HD quality files

Well, very few video players will play video directly from a camcorder, Vagen.

Again, if we knew more about what types of video the player can play and how you're getting the video from your computer to the player, we might still be able to help.

Have you tried the MP4s I recommended above? Does the player play a BluRay disc?

• 6. Re: How to get HD quality files
                    Ted Smith Level 3

If you have a computer with a HDMI output socket you can use a suitable lead to plug it directly into your TV HDMI socket

Windows media player will then play the MTS video directly to your TV, You might have to run seperate audio leads depending on your computer card.

Depending on how fast your TV is it might be a hit jittery on fast movement

There are other free'players like VLC that will do it also

• 7. Re: How to get HD quality files
                      Vagen2 Level 1

I am so grateful to anyone who tries to help me, but still I have not found a way to watch my movies in HD-quality on my TV. I have of course tried MP4s as you wrote, but I do not get HD-quality. The mediaplayer can not play BlueRay-discs. The WD TV Live HD Media Player is very small and is made just for connecting to a TV with HDMI and to forexample an external harddisc, where I save all my photos, videos, music-files and so on. The problem is - The Mediaplayer does not support AVCHD. Now I have found another media player on internet - Sony SMPN100B.EC1. Perhaps I will buy this one, which information says it supports AVCHD. As you can read from what I have written earlier my media player supports a lot of formats (just not AVCHD). One way could be to find a converter who converts AVCHD to one of the formats that is supported by my media player. But I have not found a converterprogram that can do that will HD-quality. Thank all of you anyway

• 8. Re: How to get HD quality files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Writing to AVCHD is like joisting at windmills. AVCHD is comprised of H.264, so all AVCHD is H.264. Where the confusion comes in is that not all H.264 is AVCHD. AVCHD is a sub-set of H.264, and a unique one. It is most often seen in cameras, that use the H.264 CODEC and wraps that into the AVCHD package.

If you started with HD material, say 1920 x 1080 p (Progressive), and output with the H.264 CODEC to 1920 x 1080 p, and your media player supports that, you should, in fact, get HD output to the TV via the HDMI. Not sure why you are not.

Good luck,

Hunt