3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 5:13 AM by FCG-TV

3 CS5 workstations on one Simple SAN?

FCG-TV

We are looking to replace our dated editors with 3 idendical workstations that share storage.  No workstations will be working on the same project at the same time, but we would like to simultaneously share read-only assets like B-Roll, Digital Juice, music beds and sound effects, etc... We're still in SD and will be for the life of the editors.

We stumbled upon Rorke Data at a trade show.  They offer big storage over Fibre or iSCSI at over 1000MB/s in RAID 6 at roughly $15K for 3 workstations.  My question is has anyone had experience editing with a system like this in CS5 specifically?  How do they perform when 3 workstations might be accessing the same assets?  Any guidance or alternative solution suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

• 1. Re: 3 CS5 workstations on one Simple SAN?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I have no specific knowledge of the Aurora or the company for that matter, but from the specs it looks nice. Probably works fine with three workstations, but to be on the safe side, I would investigate the possibility to double the backplane to 16 Gb from the original 8. If that is possible and not too expensive, I would opt for that option. HP Storageworks is just way too expensive.

A less expensive option is to just add a single disk or array with your common footage (Digital Juice, etc.) to each workstation. Say three times 2 x 2 TB disks in raid0 will give you more than enough storage space for this common footage and is a lot cheaper than $ 15 K. Say WD RE4 2TB, two each per workstation and the cost is only around € 1300. This common footage is pretty static in nature, so to keep the workstations synchronized is not a big deal.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3 CS5 workstations on one Simple SAN?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Fibre is definitely fast enough and their specs are close but fudged a little on the high side unless they are running dual port cards and load balancing. Fibre is really meant for HD editing unless you have more than 4 or 5 clients working simultaneously from the same SAN. ISCSI is a far cheaper solution especially if you have a SAN with Dual or Quad port Gbit with Load Balancing. Then the Gbit ISCSI SAN will be more than enough for a 3 client workflow with SD material as long as it's not uncompressed. I would get a quote for their ISCSI units that have 2 or 4 ports. They should be far cheaper than the Fibre.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 3 CS5 workstations on one Simple SAN?
              FCG-TV Level 1

Thanks guys, definately food for thought.