5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 8:25 AM by the_wine_snob

PE 3 Copying one audio channel to the other?

Bongboots Level 1

I have some DV source that was recorded with an external mic that only recorded to one channel. Is it possible to copy that channel to the other in PE 3? I can't find a way to do it. Obvioulsy it would be effectively mono, but would sound better through headphones.

Thanks,

Bruce

• 1. Re: PE 3 Copying one audio channel to the other?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bruce,

There are several ways to accomplish this. First, and probably easiest, would be to apply the Fill Left, or Fill Right Audio Effect in the Effects>Audio Effects (drop down menu, as Video Effects display will be the default).

Good luck, and if that does not do what you want, let us know, and we'll give you some other suggestions,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE 3 Copying one audio channel to the other?
            Bongboots Level 1

Thanks Bill, I looked at that, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll have a closer look.

Thanks,

Bruce

• 3. Re: PE 3 Copying one audio channel to the other?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If that does not do what you want, the next workflow would be to just duplicate your 1-channel source, to the next free Audio Track. Then go to Window>Audio Mixer, and for one of those Tracks Pan to the Left and for the other, Pan to the Right. I would not go to full Left, or full Right, but somewhere in between. The reason for that is so that you have a bit of "phantom Center" in you Audio Mix. I find full Left and full Right Panning to sound very artificial, and only use that, if I want such an effect.

Good luck, and if that does not give you what you want, there are still more suggestions, just waiting to be used...

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 3 Copying one audio channel to the other?
                Bongboots Level 1

Fill Left did the trick thanks Bill! I tried it, but possibly assumed it hadn't worked as the timeline graph doesn't get added to the empty track. I have to say you were much more helpful than a lot of wasted time on the help file : )  I may try your other tip too, but I think it's probably fine.

Many thanks,

Bruce

• 5. Re: PE 3 Copying one audio channel to the other?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bruce,

So glad that it worked for you.

I personally find that Help files are OK, if one knows exactly what they are looking for (using "approved" Adobe terms), and only what to know the "how." The "why" is often missing. That is one of the things that I love about Steve Grisetti's books on PrE - he covers the how and the why, and does so in terms that apply to the normal user, and not just to a person doing technical writing for Adobe. His books are available at Muvipix, and I recommend them highly.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt